<  Important Messages  ~  Play from behind a FIREWALL/ROUTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
I've just done some testing with Cyrilynn and I've made this work.

Using vanilla vampire, no hacks or anything.

I can't tell you how to configure your hardware. Everyone has something different, but I can tell you what you need. I will try to advise if I can.

You must forward the following ports.

Port 47624 UDP
Port 27960 TCP & UDP.

Doing that at both ends was enough to host and be joined, or to join a hosted game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
User avatarEndeavor Mod LeaderPosts: 142Location: Lacey, WAJoined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:35 am
For additional information you can go here:

http://www.vampireheaven.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
What.. there is one?

I spent hours researching those port numbers!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:04 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 3Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:01 am
Yes there is one, and u only need port 27960 ;) It's in the manual plus.. I just know.. lol.

PS: If you got two puters behind a router and you want to be able to play on both at the same time, u can use the portcrack i made, it alters the port number vampire uses for online play. So for example u could set ur gf's installation of vampire to port 28960 and keep ur own at 27960 and configure ur router for both ports so u can both play at the same time.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the manual specifically states 47624 and the range 27960 to 27980. It states it in the readme, but in an obscure format, suitable for direct entry into a particular router.

The 47624 is required for the initial directplay 7.0 connection to form. It might well work without it, but isn't recommended.

After the initial connection to won.net, somehow the directplay connection is dropped (cos it would use ports 2300-2400 otherwise) or more likely simply sent out on those nonstandard ports.

The bottom line is that whilst I may well have duplicated effort, the information I presented is incredibly difficult to find. Trust me on this - I'm a network engineer with years of experience, I own an Internet Service Providor and *I* had to work hard for it. This question has been raised a number of times, not least at our (semi-)recent reunion. So it's good to have it here for reference.

Mordred, I'll put your portcrack onto the SoC filespace at

http://www.mort.level5.net/soc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:12 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 3Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:01 am
Err, first of all, u don't need to forward any ports to connect to won, cause thats an outgoing connection only, and u certainly don't communicate with won while joining a game, except for the initial ip fetch, but after that, its over. And the only port necessary really IS 27960. I've been network programming in C++ since i was 13.. and i've been reverse engineering Vampire for over a year, and playing it for 4. I've disassembled Vampire and hacked it to allow for multiple instances, running in a window, changing the port number, and attempting to change the player limit and creating a freakish camera angle look. I've also programmed a layered service provider acting as a filter for Vampire's protocol which grew to become an anticrash, and which i also started using as a command interceptor, sort of like a remote console in FPS games through which players can type commands and it will effect the game. So, i would say i pretty much know Vampire inside out, or better than any other player anyway. Regarding port 47624.. in the readme it only says its for UDP, and the initial UDP traffic on those ports is used for optional probing, which means it sends out a packet on UDP to let the other peer know the clients ip number, but it is totally optional and only used to speed things up because shortly after a TCP connection is made back and forth as the direct play handshake. I've studied Vampire's protocol in depth, also because i programmed my own server that was going to act as a replacement for WON, but i never finished the client because Vampire is dead. Seriously all u need is 27960, it doesn't hurt opening other ports but thats the only essential one.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
P.S.: u said u spent hours researching those port numbers... and ur a network engineer with years of experience? Maybe u oughta revise that.. If u know how to use softice you could simply set a breakpoint on winsock calls and run vampire and figure out the port numbers in about 5 minutes. Or u could disassemble vampire and track down Winsock api calls and figure out the ports that way. Or you could use a packet sniffer and see them directly in about 2 minutes. And i know about a hundred other ways too that don't require hours of research, such as reading the manual.

Seriously, who even put u in charge of an Internet Service "ProvidOr".

Not to sound harsh, it just sounds a bit incredible. Unless of course its one of those homestarted ISP's on a T1 line.. lol.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to dignify personal attacks with a reply.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:02 am Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Take it down a notch Mordred. This forum is a circle of friends, not somewhere to take pot shots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:52 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
[quote:9ac8fdb89e="Julius Darrant"]I've just done some testing with Cyrilynn and I've made this work.
[/quote:9ac8fdb89e]

Let me get this straight. It works? So what's the problem then?? It works. Time to move on :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I meant everything I said. But Gabriel is right, it was an unapropriate post and I apologize for that. I get pretty heated sometimes when reading certain things and i acted upon that. I'll try to restrain myself in the future. And I agree with batty in that the problem is solved and I suppose that finishes this thread.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Well, then I suppose I should thank you for owning up to it. :) Shows strength of character. And hopefully I didn't seem too unwelcoming...always great to see a new face (or is it an old face with a new name? hmmmm). And believe me, I've seen worse on the forums. *thinks of the Frank/Casey battles* :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
[quote:e3c73a1b78="Julius Darrant"]I've just done some testing with Cyrilynn and
You must forward the following ports.

Port 47624 UDP
Port 27960 TCP & UDP.

Doing that at both ends was enough to host and be joined, or to join a hosted game.[/quote:e3c73a1b78]

yup, it works :) cheers babe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
You called me? ;)

Seiously though, we keep personal attacks off the forum. It's the only way it works.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:33 am Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
orrrrrrrrrrrr we can simply attack personally

like thus:

frank's gay

thank you