<  USA  ~  A Touch of Gray

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
[i:5e7dd92ba9]"So that's it huh?"[/i:5e7dd92ba9] Frank asked for the tenth time today as he squatted on his haunches and wiped the sweat and grass clippings from his brow. Far in the distance, the afternoon sun burned intensley in one final mighty showing before dusk. It's light, a citric orange, pervaded the acres of finely manicured and freshly cut lawn that stretched out before the two gardeners and seemed to run on forever. [i:5e7dd92ba9]"It's gonna be weird not being here anymore."[/i:5e7dd92ba9]

[i:5e7dd92ba9]"It's just a job man. Relax."[/i:5e7dd92ba9] Javier stated flatly, hefting the weedwacker and leaf blower into the back of the white landscaping van and then taking a seat on the back bumper. He ran his palms along the knees of his green jumpsuit and surveyed his work a final time. The hedges were immaculately cut, with edges so fine they might have been made from granite rather than hawthorn.

The hedges lined the large, circular driveway and were tall enough to provide some privacy but not completely obscure the great explosions of flora that were distinctly placed throughout the lawn. Magnolias and tulips vied for space around great willow trees that sat seemingly wind blown in the increasingly cool afternoon air.

Frank stood and approached the open passenger side door and removed from the interior a pack of cigarettes. He lit one and squinted throught the smoke, peering far down the lawn to the desolate stretch of road that he had come to know so well for the past five years. Beyond the great steel gate, several cars lined the road.

Their owners shuffled about gravely, placing clothing, knick knacks, and various odds and ends in the trunks and backseats. Occasionally, their tiny faces would peer back towards the main house and then return to their work.

[i:5e7dd92ba9]"Frank, give me a hand."[/i:5e7dd92ba9] Javier's voice strained as he dragged the gas powered tamper towards the van. Frank held his cigarette tightly between his lips and went to task. By the time the van was loaded and the doors shut, the sun had been exstinguished behind the treeline.

One by one, the former employees and house staff drove off into the night leaving only the two landscapers on the grounds. As Frank climbed into the passenger seat, he peered up at the house for a final time and was surprised to see one of the upstairs bedrooms illuminated.

[i:5e7dd92ba9]"Shit, someone's still here?"[/i:5e7dd92ba9] he asked to no one in particular.

[i:5e7dd92ba9]"Must be the old man."[/i:5e7dd92ba9]

[i:5e7dd92ba9]"Yeah, but all alone?"[/i:5e7dd92ba9]

The engine churned for a moment and then grumbled to life. Slowly, the van made it's way down the drive for a last time, allowing Frank one final glance in the side view mirror.

[i:5e7dd92ba9]"He always was a fucking weirdo."[/i:5e7dd92ba9]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 167Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:48 am
(( Wow I havent been on this site for ages, was feeling nostalgic and came by to visit and fell on that story, nicely written dude.. damn makes me wanna start again too :) ))

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 285Location: yorkshireJoined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 pm
Kathy held the black rose between her fingers, the petals were so soft and delicate yet the thorns so sharp, how could something so beautiful be so dangerous at the same time. Very much like it's creator, she mused silently as she plucked its from its stem and carried on walking through the garden towards the house. No doubt it would once again return to it's natural state, the bushes allowed to once again revert to their natural shape and not the pruned almost minimal look that Gabriel insisted on, the once carefully manicured lawn would once again become home to dandelions, daisies and moles no doubt.

A dark mood had settled over him, it was if he was down a deep dark well and no matter what was said or done he just didn't want to climb out. Of course she had managed a few times to lift his mood, she had her ways and if she caught him at the right moment.....well what choice did he have?
At first he had started refusing to go to social events, then he had virtually ignored all their guests at a party, his manner had being appalling and after a furious row she had left fully intent on not going back but .......well how could she stay away?

That was over a month ago now and still his mood could be as dark, althought she now understood him more, they had spent many a night talking and trying to resolve his current situation.

As she pushed the heavy door open to his study the candle light flickered in the draft and he turned his gaze from the fire over to the door and smiled at his kay, fo she was his and always would be, she had told him so many times.

Offline Profile