<  Chit-Chat  ~  The SoC Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
In response to Porter's question... "Is there anything you don't know, Stef?" I'm prepared to be challenged..

So.. barring questions which rely on knowing someone's Aunt's maiden name or what have you... g'wan... ask me anything.

Science, technology, music, philosophy, the meaning of life, advice. Anything.

Go for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
The awe inspiring power of Google and Wikipedia.

Hmmm...lets see...

...how about a synopsis on the origins of the duel in Europe?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Eh? Wikipedia.... sometimes it's ok, but often it's nonsense.

Duelling eh? That's pretty easy really.

Let us take the biblical duel between David and Goliath as a perfect example. Formalised duelling from the earliest days.

You specifically stated European duelling though, so let's try to examine that.

Details are very sketchy, however the Norse peoples were fighting duels over insults well over a thousand years ago. However it's still clear from the biblical references that the tradition has been with man for an awfully long time. It was commonplace in the Roman army, certainly. According to Velleius Paterculus it was deeply rooted in both Gaulish and Germanic traditions.

Where then is the origin? To my way of thinking, man must always have fought duels of one kind or another. Even in the world of the higher primates, we see males fighting over one thing or another. This isn't a question to be answered with a pair of individuals coming up with some kind of rote form, but rather one which can only be answered by looking at the human condition itself. Man disagrees and sometimes he fights.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
I would agree with your synopsis. To be quite honest, the only thing I knew off the top of my head was the Norse tradition of dueling, which it so happens you mentioned, so kudos to you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
Since you're clearly so wordly and educated, I pose to you this question:

What's black and white and red all over?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
<Penguin/Nun/Panda>[1] in a blender...[2]

*NEXT*

[1] Delete as applicable.
[2] Yes, I know you're all saying "newspaper" but isn't "nun in a blender" more fun?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh wise cerebral one....might this humble supplicant suggest the correct once answer was...

...a penguin with a sunburn?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
*Oracle considers deeply*

I interpret your question as...

[i:815086f45e]might this humble supplicant suggest the correct once answer was a penguin with a sunburn?[/i:815086f45e]

In which case the answer is "No"

To expand however, sunburn is pink. Even a lobster is pink. It's all pink. Further, even if the penguin had sunburn, it's feathers would still remain white... unless perhaps it had fallen in with some flamingos and like them had it's feathers changed in colour by the blue-green and red algae their diet largely consists of. Mind you, that's still pink.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
Oh great and powerful oracle...this unworthy servant feels absurd in pointing out what you must clearly already know...that were you to put a nun/panda/penguin in a blender...they would most CERTAINLY quickly become entirely red...unless they were PARTIALLY blended...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
*Oracle sits serenely displaying the infinite patience of the omniscient*

[size=24:a100724c7f]Yes[/size:a100724c7f]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
PMSL!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:46 am Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
[size=24:46a4400951][color=purple:46a4400951]PUDDLES!!!!! :shock: [/color:46a4400951][/size:46a4400951]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:46 am Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
Oh come on...I can give all of you the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything pretty fucking easily, in fact it will take only two keystrokes:

[b:c4bf8d9fd3][size=24:c4bf8d9fd3]42[/size:c4bf8d9fd3][/b:c4bf8d9fd3]

Oracle my ass, i just answered everything.

(oh, and lobsters are pink/red ONLY after being cooked, red is a color Lobsters most certainly want to avoid)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
*gathers his spear and magic helmet* USURPER! How DARE you even contemplate stealing the mantle of the great Oracle from it's rightful weilder?!

O Glorious Master, shall I smite him as ones like he should be smitten?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
*The Oracle sits serenely allowing the discord to wash over him and disspate like the transient and futile vibe it is*

Forty Two. The commonest of knowledge. Mr. Adams was a great man and I shall not demean these proceedings by debating his wisdom here. Simply know this - that having the answer to the question is simply insufficient. One must also understand the answer. In order to understand the answer, one must be able to state the question. As Mr. Adams correctly pointed out in his works, the question and answer cannot co-exist in the same universe, lest that universe be destroyed.

Therefore, let us move on from this. I shall speak no more on the subject.

And... *deep sigh* Yes, Lobsters are only pink when cooked. Must I specify in tedious detail every time? For example, if I were to say a Polar Bear is white, doubtless you would say "Aha! Caught out again!" and inform me that a Polar bear, in fact is black - only the fur is white. And you would be correct.

You would also be caught in a cycle of unecessary pedantry.

So, ask your questions if you have them, or leave the answers be.

Ask yourself, would you rather be positive and construct, or negative and destroy? I choose to build.