<  International  ~  Whispers of Shal Ka-Mense Redux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
As if by unspoken summons, Assamites began pouring into the room and this time, there were no flashes of incinerating bodies. Gabriel, who had retrieved another weapon, Cyrilynn and Mundug began, once again, the task of defending Julius in his work. Eveshka, Elzbet and Khemintiri concentrated on keeping the field of anti-magic in place whilst Julius and Ali sized each other up.

[i:ef5e1b0e18]"Now Ali, you die."[/i:ef5e1b0e18] Snarled Julius in deep, dark tones. [i:ef5e1b0e18]"I have had enough, more than enough, of you."[/i:ef5e1b0e18]

Ali curled his lip and the pair leapt upon each other, swords moving at blinding speed, whirling and glinting in the strange light. Faster and faster, as each tested the limits of their celerity and potence, looking for an edge, an opening, a final blow which would finish the other. Little cuts and tiny wounds appeared on their bodies, instantly healed by the virtue of their blood, until with a scream and a mighty blow, La Magra swept through the falchion of Ali, cleaving it in two and embedding into his neck in a mighty rush of blood.

The smell of it, the rich dark vitae spilling onto the floor, the sight of it, gushing red with the life of his enemy, the power of it, vitae so old and eminent. The beast within Julius craved it, demanded it, desired above all else to feast upon it and with a feral scream, Julius cast aside his blade and fell upon Ali, his fangs sinking deep into the wound, sucking out his lifeblood drop by drop. Vitae flowed from the wound and into Julius' body, it's intensity coursing through his body, fuelling the screams of his beast who craved more and more. Julius gorged upon the blood of Ali, yet even when the blood was finished, still his beast was unsatisfied and still Julius drank, pulling from Ali's body both his own soul and the soul of Ishtar, which resided within. Finally, when there was no more, Julius stood, swaying, the ancients now within him one with his beast, calling him to do more, to take more, together, they would become a new god!

Julius sniffed, blood, he smelled blood. Ancient blood, the [b:ef5e1b0e18]most[/b:ef5e1b0e18] ancient blood. He knew now where the blood of Caine was, it was here, in this room. Buried in yonder stone altar. He would have it now, he would drink it and the world, no... the universe... would be his to command.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:43 am Reply with quote
User avatarSalubriPosts: 14Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:18 am
Everyone stared in horror as Julius dropped Ali's drained body to the floor, and raised his bloodied face to the group. Elzbet could sense the building power from the Assamite's blood and the blood of Ishtar. It rose in waves from the wizard as the different vitaes mixed and became one. It was Elzbet who shook off Eve's hand as Julius spun, sniffing the air like a bloodhound on the scent. His gaze landed on the stone pedestal, whispering [i:20d26530d0]"Caine's blood."[/i:20d26530d0] Hearing that, every vision she'd had clicked into place. And it was Elzbet who placed herself in front of the altar where the blood of Caine resided.

This was what she was here for, to stop him from the biggest mistake of his unlife. Ingesting the vitae would cause a cataclysm the likes the world had seen only during its creation. With the power that he had now at his fingertips, there would be no way for her to stop him magically, spiritually or even psychicly. Drinking the blood of the One would ten, no, thousands of times worse. He would be a God.

Julius snarled at her and tried to push past her but she blocked him every direction he turned. [i:20d26530d0]"You cannot do this, Julius,"[/i:20d26530d0] she spoke in the deathly silence. [i:20d26530d0]"And [b:20d26530d0]you[/b:20d26530d0] cannot stop me,"[/i:20d26530d0] he explained. [i:20d26530d0]"You have no offensive magics, you will not be able to force your way past my barriers, you can't even summon a ghost to confront me."[/i:20d26530d0] He laughed cruelly, and rushed her. [i:20d26530d0]"You're absolutely right, I can do none of those things,"[/i:20d26530d0] she rejoined and raised her fist at the last moment so that he ran into it. He fell to the ground in startlement. [i:20d26530d0]"But I can sure as hell knock you on your ass."[/i:20d26530d0]

She crouched down and looked him straight in the eyes, eyes which held a kind of madness. [i:20d26530d0]"You have two choices, foolish one,"[/i:20d26530d0] she began. [i:20d26530d0]"You can refuse the Blood of Caine and continue your life with those you love. Or...."[/i:20d26530d0] she trailed off, waiting for the precise moment when all of his defenses went down. [i:20d26530d0]"Or, you can drink the blood, and all this will come to pass."[/i:20d26530d0] His last barrier trembled and she shoved her way into his mind, flashing through every portent and prophecy she'd ever had about him and his abuse of power, plus a few she devised. Including ones that caused his hand to give his beloved Eveshka Final Death, knowing that none of his powers could bring her back.

[i:20d26530d0]"Choose, Wizard."[/i:20d26530d0] she demanded in a harsh tone. [i:20d26530d0]"Choose, unlife, or choose death for everyone else."[/i:20d26530d0]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
((rock!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Eveshka's singing had stopped.

All was suddenly silent. It was the sort of silence which follows the passing of a large jet at close range, or the silence that comes when you first climb into the stillness of your car immediately after a rock concert. The only sound to be heard was the odd swishing sound in the ears as one's eardrums tried in vain to lock onto a noise to fill the vaccuum created.

There was none.

All was silent.

A thunderous [i:a636e51a01] CLANK [/i:a636e51a01] filled the void as La Magra fell to the ground. The assembled Cainites flinched at the sound. The stillness that resumed was rent with the loud intake of air from Julius. Although he did not need to breath, he still needed air to make the vocal chords vibrate. And vibrate they did. A feral scream that would have rivaled any Gangrel's war whoop filled the hall. Julius fell down on his knees clutching his head as if in great pain. He continued to wail as Eveshka sprinted over to him and slid onto her knees, skidding to a halt beside him. She cradled his head in her arms and rocked him back and forth. It seemed as though centuries of pent of anger, anxiety, fear, and longing were escaping from Julius all at once.

The Coterie watched as a vaporous form rose from Julius, then another, then another. The forms twisted like smoke and started to form shapes. One by one, the shapes settled into the forms of men. Scores of men, all with similar attributes about them stood in a semi-circle in front of Julius. He and Eve looked up at them. At first the two lovers thought that the men were standing as a jury would, or an enormous panel of judges, ready to sentence the pair of them to some dreaded punishment. But no, they seemed to have a more pleasant air about them. Some of them actually seemed to be smiling. Some of them smiled down at Eve and Julius, others seemed to be smiling at someone behind them. One by one, all of the ghostly men raised their eyes to the same fixed point behind Eve and Julius.

Khemintiri.

The foremost phantom, and in truth, the one who looked as though he came the furthest through time raised his hand to her and beckoned her forwards. Khemintiri looked at Eveshka, the only person whom the Egyptian demi-Goddess had truly loved in a millenia. She almost seemed to be trying to get some sort of indication as to what to do from Eve. None came. Eve had no clue what was happening.

Khemintiri came forwards nonetheless. She stopped briefly next to Eve. She pulled Eveshka up gently by the hand. Eveshka towered over the ancient Setite. Julius had never noticed the difference in stature and presence. Eveshka was nearly a foot taller than Khemintiri and was a bit more meaty. Khemintiri on the other hand looked like a china doll. She was so insanely beautiful that it completely baffled the powers of description. From her position near the gate, a gore covered Lady Cyrillin turned to look at the two. Her mouth opened slightly and a pained looked crossed her face. She had never seen a more perfect image. Even Gabriel stood baffled at the scene. To the Irishman's Catholic sensibilities it seemed nearly as if, and it was sacreligious to even think it to be sure, it was an Angel of the Lord come to deliver a missive to Mary. He crossed himself and found himself sinking to his knees. Young though he was, he knew that he was witnessing an event in the likes of which Vampiric history had never seen and would never see again.

Khemintiri embraced Eveshka and kissed her gently on the lips. She then turned to Julius and lifted him gracefully and effortlessly to his feet.

"You're the One aren't you," was all Julius could muster at the moment.

Last edited by Eveshka on Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:09 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Khemintiri nodded to him and comprehension dawned on Eveshka. Khemintiri was the Saviour spoken of in the Scroll. She was the one Ishtar had intended on siring to bring the Cainites back into the light.

"Na'anna," began Khemintiri. "Ishtar, if you will, came to me thousands of years ago. We had dreams, hopes." She trailed off. Eveshka nodded.

"I do love you so Eveshka," said Khemintiri. "I envy you." She reached out and touched Eve's cheek. Eve closed her eyes and leaned her cheek into the touch. "You have a soulmate. I do not. Mine was taken from me by the one who made me as I am now."

"Set." said Eve more like an accusation than a statement.

"Yes, Eve. Set."

She turned towards the semi-circle of spirits and spoke again. "But now the circle is complete. Set's work will be undone this night. Things will be made as they should always have been." She turned to Julius. "Take care of her, Wizard. She is the only one left. She is the only Daughter of Ishtar's line." Julius nodded with a slight smile on his face. He knew that he had passed the test of which Laeryn spoke. He had not destroyed the earth, he had not fallen to his inner beast. He was Julius, and Julius he would remain.

The semicircle of spirits parted for Khemintiri as she made her way up a dais upon which stood a pedestal. A gold reliquary stood on the pedestal in the shape of a simple box. There were a few cuniformic runes on it, but apart from that it was unadorned. Khemintiri reached the box and opened the lid. It appeared to be made of cedar gilded with gold. She reached inside of it and slowly pulled out a stake. The stake had an odd rusty coloration to it as if it were covered in long dried up blood.

All of the Vampires in the room took a few steps forwards as the strong scent of VERY powerful vitae permeated the room. The semi-circle of spirits closed ranks again and seemed to take on a bit more of a menacing appearance. Through the shimmering forms of the spirits, the coterie could see Khemintiri raise the stake to her lips. They parted and she touched the stake to her tongue. The dried blood seemed to become more substantive. It became fluid. It began to drip down the stake and over her hand. Khemintiri lapped up the vitae. An aura began to shimmer out from her. The colors turned vivid shades of blue, violet, pink, red, green, and kept changing. They swirled about her faster and faster.

She began to sway a bit. The swaying became more pronounced as her feet left the floor. She hovered several feet in mid-air. Her back arched and she went limp. The stake dropped to the ground. LAdy Cyrillin took a few involuntary steps forward. In truth, all of the vampires except Julius and Eve stepped forwards and tried to get at the stake. The rather menacing appearance of the spirits changed to something downright horrifying. Their faces turned skeletal looking and those that had weapons drew them and brandished them. Julius turned to the oncoming Cainites and ordered, "BE STILL." As if by magic, which in truth it was, their feet became fixed to the ground. Meanwhile, Khemintiri rose farther and farther towards the vaulted ceiling. She moved towards a painting that none had noticed during the battle. The painting depicted two men each reaching out towards the other with one hand. One seemed to wear the coarse hair shirt of the penitent. The other seemed to have an extremely regal bearing about him. His image seemed so majestic that it appeared he would burst forth from the painting. Majestic though he was, his face showed an infinite sadness.

Khemintiri ascended to the ceiling. Her arms gently raised up and stretched as if greeting two people. In a flash of color she seemed to become one with the painting. Her three dimensional form became two. There were now three images in the painting. A radiant woman now held one outstretched hand from each man. The breach had been mended. She had bridged the gap between the two men.

The semi-circle of spirits dissolved and all that was left was the coterie. They all looked around and looked at one another. It didn't seem as if it was what they expected. Then again, what DID they expect? Riches? Power? Fame? Most of them had that already to one degree or another. Some of them couldn't care less about any of those things. They didn't feel different though. Not physically at least. Some of them may have felt different mentally and spiritually though. It would be hard to go through an ordeal like they had just gone through and not come out feeling different.

The moon was sinking low and the eastern sky wsa beginning to lighten as Julius, Eveshka, Mundug, Elzbet, Lady Cyrillin, and Gabriel made their way out of the Citadel. Salah and Hassan were no longer fighting. Instead it seemed as if Ali's minions had lost the will to fight. Most seemed to be clueless as to why they were even there. Many looked around wondering where they were and how the hell they were to get out.

The Coterie spoke briefly with the Assamite elders and then they all walked together towards the breach in the wall beneath the Tower of the Two Sisters. Eveshka walked to the front of the group and raised her hands and said the word of power. The mists parted and she lifted the Veil. It closed behind the group as they walked through it. The group, including a still torpored Rhiannon who was being carried like a sack of potatoes by a rather burly Assamite, made its way down the hill and into Antioch. The group was silent. Perhaps nobody knew what to say, or perhaps, in view of the events of the night, it would have been inappropriate to say anything.

They reached the place where Eve and Julius were staying. The two assamite elders looked at each other, nodded once, and walked off in different directions. Mundug watched Salah disappear into the night and seemed to be thinking. He walked off in the direction Salah went. The others went inside and away from the slowly approaching dawn.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THE END>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Epilogue:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:38 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
[b:5f037e9a39][i:5f037e9a39]Touraine... Two weeks later.[/i:5f037e9a39][/b:5f037e9a39]

For the souls of the damned, a time of peace is a seldom seen luxury, yet for one small group it seemed that for once in their unlives they would, by the Grace of God, be allowed a short time free of care and woe.

The journey from Antioch had been muted. A Darrant Industries jet had arrived with quiet efficiency and collected the group from Damascus, transporting them across the Mediterranean to the quiet solitude of rural France. Little had been said, for there was little to be said. Each member of the coterie spent much of the journey in silent contemplation, alone with their thoughts, witness to a unique moment, a redemption, an expression of love and forgiveness almost beyond their understanding.

After horrors, pain and death, each now had a new perspective upon the world. Gabriel would find himself lost, enraptured like a Toreador, in the simple beauty of a flower. Kathy, who had rejoined the group in Antioch was enthralled by the change in him. Cyrilynn, who had been the Scorpion, took delight in aiding the local people, her strange Tzimisce powers turned to healing. The Ventrue and Fiend made a strange pair, their mutual respect holding the spark of a new friendship.

Elzbet, the Salubri who had, it seemed, known instinctively when she would be needed most, watched with pleasure. Her gentle soul taking a delight in the healing of those she had joined, even for such brief moments.

Julius it seemed had lost much of his powers. Whatever had fueled the raw force at Antioch had left him with the departure of the spirits of his past lives. The memories remained and perhaps a new wisdom, but he was, once again, simply Julius. A new Julius, carrying Ali and Ishtar in his soul, but with the fires at his core quieted, for now at least and reduced to warm embers. His love, Eveshka, with whom he had spent the thousands of years was content to simply rule her domain, not with an iron fist, but rather with a silken glove. All delighted in seeing them together, rapt adoration written clearly upon their faces when they gazed one upon the other.

Mundug, who had joined them so briefly, had not been heard from. All agreed with the hope that Salah was leading him a merry chase and that perhaps, one day, there would be a peaceful resolution to their differences.

Sadly, such a strange peace cannot last forever, even for the most blessed of kindred. Gabriel's raptures grew less frequent and he started to talk of things he needed to do. A Tzimisce can perform only so many miracles before questions begin to be asked and her mind turned to the study of books, whilst Julius turned to the writing of them. Elzbet began to look at her neglected business portfolio, whilst the silly problems of young Toreador began to cause their Prince a healthy level of frustration.

And so, perhaps for the last time, Julius assumed the mantle of leader of the Coterie, the unlikely amalgam of kindred of all kinds to discuss their plans for the future. He, of course, would remain in Touraine with his beloved and announced his intention to create a school of magic. House Darrant, a name he promised not to use, would be a haven for any with talent, be they kindred or kine. No prejudice, no preconceptions. A simple home for any who loved the art and wished to learn. In part this would also be protection for the small, but fiercely independant realm which Eveshka would be ruling. No Camarilla, no Sabbat, no House and Clan Tremere, no never ending Jyhad would be tolerated here. He and Eveshka had done their share. After ten thousand years, he felt, they deserved more than a little time for themselves.

He turned to the others then, to thank them sincerely for all they had done and assure them of his eternal trust and friendship. Each smiled and answered in kind, telling of their own plans...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:53 am Reply with quote
User avatarSalubriPosts: 14Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:18 am
[b:26ce81bb8d]EPILOGUE - ELZBET[/b:26ce81bb8d]

Elzbet rested after all the running around she did for the last several months. The two weeks after Antioch were needed to build up her reserves. Making sure that Julius understood the enormity of what he could possible do drained her. Plus, punching him had broken her hand. Not that she would ever tell him that.

Resting was fun, as was watching all the others reaffirm their belief in their existence. She knew that it wouldn't last much longer for most of them, but if even one stayed on a path of at least semi-goodness, Golgonda would be that much closer for him or her. Of course, she wasn't about to tell them of their spiritual position in the world. That was for the individual to discover.

In spite of the haven she had found in this mish-mash coterie, she knew that she couldn't stay and so she packed up her staff and sent them on, remaining only to say her farewells to all. To Eve and Julius, she wished them eternal happiness. For Gabriel, she pointed out that flower-sniffing in men led people to believe that they were gay, that or allergies. Other than that, she left well wishes. For Lady Cyrilynn and Tyler, she left her private number, just in case.

She paused for a moment on the threshhold of Julius' residence. [i:26ce81bb8d]"It was an honor and pleasure to know you all. I'm returning to the States to take up the reins of my buisness. If you ever need me, for anything, anything at all, just ask."[/i:26ce81bb8d] She turned and walked out the door, heading towards the elevator and the rest of her unlife.

Last edited by Elzbet on Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:07 am Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 16Location: San FranciscoJoined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:32 am
"You do not want money, you do not want power, you do not want us to teach you the path of blood, tell me honorable Mundug is there any way in which my clan can repay its debts to you. Please tell me, what is it that you seek in your existence, what is it that you are looking for, my dear friend.", Hassan asked the broad shouldered Chinook warrior in the depths of the cold stone halls of Alamut.

Mundug looked up from inspecting his belongings that had been packed in two identical sports bags. For a moment, by the slight movement on the gangrels lips, the two brothers Hassan and Salah thought they were going to get an answer to the question and they looked at him in anticipation. Mundug met their gazes with his piercing yellow eyes and left them in the tension of the moment for a while. Then he finally spoke, lifting up his bags.

"I will let you know when I found it...for now I just want a trip back home."

Not understanding the motivations of this man, the two ancient Assamite elders looked eachother puzzled in the eyes.

"Of course...as you wish.", Hassan finally replied.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:29 am Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
[quote:ba1620a8e3="Mundug"]"I will let you know when I have found it."[/quote:ba1620a8e3]

Well said, Mundug! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
When Julius caught up with Gabriel and Kathy, they were some distance outside the estate, apparently basking in the visual pleasantries of the French countryside. Approaching them slowly, he glanced back towards the manor, the dark chateau little more than a collection of brightly lit windows from this distance.

Gabriel stood atop a miniature hill, serenely observing his beloved Toreador, who was some distance down the incline admiring a particularly brilliant group of flowers that the Tremere instantly recognized as one of the rare breeds Eveshka had requested be planted spontaneously about the grounds.

The young Ventrue looked more at ease than usual, any worry or concern absent from his youthful face. Golden hair sat loosely on his shoulders, and he wore a casual pair of slacks along with a rather dated sweater. Julius smiled inwardly, he truly was a changed man. The only sign of caution was the katana La Magra, which hung from a sash loosely at his side.

Kathy wore simple jeans and a hooded sweatshirt, which proved a wise choice as the soil from the freshly uprooted flowers tumbled down the front of her outfit. She chuckled, unconcerned.

As she started up the hill, holding the flowers before her, her brilliant eyes caught sight of Julius.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Julius!"[/i:3a2f9f18f3] she cried, immediately pacing across the knoll to see him. Gabriel joined them.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Good evening Kathy, Gabriel. Some of the others were a bit concerned that you weren't going to join our going away party."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] he glanced back towards the chateau.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Oh, sorry Jules!"[/i:3a2f9f18f3] Julius noticeably cringed at the abbreviation. [i:3a2f9f18f3]"We were just getting a bit of fresh air is all."[/i:3a2f9f18f3]

The Tremere smiled at the pair.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Ah, well you've certainly picked a fine night to do so."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] The trio glanced up at the sky, and here far from any city lights, the heavens displayed their true brilliance. No one spoke for a moment and then Gabriel broke the silence.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Is everyone leaving then?"[/i:3a2f9f18f3] he asked.

Julius nodded.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"It would seem so. It's just as well. I'm sure we've all got matters to attend to. There's certainly no shortage of things to be done here in Touraine."[/i:3a2f9f18f3]

Gabriel nodded and Kathy discreetly handed him the flowers she had plucked from the ground. They were indeed glorious, and he feigned excitement, smiling and giving her a squeeze. Kathy grinned and nuzzled her head into his shoulder, but Julius recognized the lack of interest in his eyes.

The Ventrue could not hide from his nature forever. Perhaps his exuberance towards life had been only temporary. More and more he had been answering his phone calls the past several days, and his walks had grown shorter. It was time for him to return to his normal life.

Julius nodded knowingly.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Kay, if you don't mind, I'd like to speak to Julius in private."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] Gabriel said, resting his chin on her forehead and placing a gentle kiss on her hairline.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Oh, boy time is it?"[/i:3a2f9f18f3] she said, backing up. Then she followed with a laugh and smiled, seemingly not rebuked by the request. [i:3a2f9f18f3]"Alright, but you two play nice. I've got to get back to the party in any case."[/i:3a2f9f18f3]

She dashed ahead of them, and with an added touch of celerity, had reached the manor in almost no time. Gabriel and Julius strolled at a leisurely pace.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"So...a school for witchcraft."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] Gabriel stated more than asked.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Magic Gabriel. Magic."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] the Tremere corrected, knowing the Ventrue would never truly understand the concept. Nourishing an art not for the sake of profit was a cause that was lost on Ventrue. It wasn't that Gabriel didn't have his share of compassion. On the contrary, he had turned out to be one of the most compassionate Ventrue Julius had met. 'But we are who we are.' he thought.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"They'll come after you. They'll fight to keep their secrets."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] Gabriel said. Julius knew that the he had been worrying about that for days, and was touched that the Ventrue would show such concern.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Yes, but then some things are worth fighting for. Aren't they?"[/i:3a2f9f18f3]

Gabriel peered at Kathy, who stood at the doorway of the chateau, several hundred yards off. She turned and waved at the pair, then disappeared within.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"I suppose so Julius."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] he smiled and clapped the Tremere on the back. [i:3a2f9f18f3]"If you should ever need anything..."[/i:3a2f9f18f3]

Julius nodded and they both understood. For a while, neither man said anything, content to listen to the chorus of nature and breathe in the fragrant essence of life from around them. As they neared the manor, Julius turned towards Gabriel.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"So what will you do?"[/i:3a2f9f18f3]

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Oh, I've got plenty to catch up on. No doubt some of my business associates have taken advantage of my absence. Tyler's at his wits end. I think he may need a vacation."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] he chuckled.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"With Elzbet?"[/i:3a2f9f18f3]

Gabriel nodded.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"And I've got a casino to run now."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] Gabriel smiled, his cheshire cat-like grin widening.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Ah yes, that."[/i:3a2f9f18f3] Julius said, mimicking his smile now.

[i:3a2f9f18f3]"Besides Jules,"[/i:3a2f9f18f3] Gabriel laughed, watching Julius cringe once more, [i:3a2f9f18f3]"you more than anyone should know that you can never be too sure of what's coming 'round the next bend."[/i:3a2f9f18f3]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
EPILOGUE - CYRILYNN

Cyrilynn paused at the threshhold of Julius's office, the door an open invitation for her to enter, still she waited for her master's regard and permission before setting so much as a fingernail within. When he signaled her presence inside, she took the indicated seat before asking, [i:9d3338399e]"You sent for me, Julius?"[/i:9d3338399e], then folded her suddenly trembling hands into her lap before her eagle-eyed regnant could take note of it. She hoped he would pass it off as agitation from the news of Serai's death.

Julius noticed the slight tremor, as she perched herself primly on the edge of the chair provided. Her back straight, her pallor even more pronounced than usual, her hands folded in her lap. If it was possible, she even appeared to have aged a few more years. He knew she was trying to hide it but his vassal appeared to be on the edge of something and he wasn't sure what it was. She'd been withdrawing more and more since they'd learned about her assistant's plane going down in flames, just shortly after they'd returned to Touraine.

The silence stretched as Julius watched her, much as a cat watches a mouse hole, waiting to pounce. But she'd learned the art of waiting at less benevolent knees than that of her current master. Apparently, he made up his mind on something because he gave a brief nod to himself and then looked down at his own hands, clasped together on his neat and tidy desk top. [i:9d3338399e]"Cyrilynn, it seems to me that you've been under a lot of stress lately. Would you like to talk about it? I realize that your ghoul's death has caused some strain in your own holdings."[/i:9d3338399e] He brought his gaze back to his thrall to see if she'd open up to him.

Lady Cyrilynn looked away from Julius, but not before he thought he caught a flash of alarm in her grey eyes. She turned a carefully arranged face back to him. [i:9d3338399e]"Venisi is quite adaquate enough of a personal servant until I can train another one and he's happy with the elevation in status. Jacques was Serai's...."[/i:9d3338399e] There was a slight hitch there. [i:9d3338399e]"..second in command at the estate. She trained him well to carry on in her absence. He's handled all of the arrangements to her interment."[/i:9d3338399e] Her tone was casual but her body was strung very tightly.

Julius mentally sighed. It still came down to trust with her. Gabriel had reported that, in Greece, she'd had to break down and give [b:9d3338399e]him[/b:9d3338399e] what she couldn't bring herself to give Julius here. Would she never learn? He cocked his head at her, perhaps she was truly worried about things on the estate but afraid to ask for leave. She was just as deserving of it, as the rest of the coterie, for having efficiiently completed such a monumental task [i:9d3338399e]"Would you like to take some time to go back and set things in order yourself? Spend some time with your staff, settle any personal affairs"[/i:9d3338399e] The response he got was not at all what he expected.

[i:9d3338399e][b:9d3338399e]"NO!"[/b:9d3338399e][/i:9d3338399e] It wasn't quite a shriek but it came awfully close and there was a look of panic quickly concealed as the Tzimisce schooled her features into a calm one. But not without a clearly visable struggle. [i:9d3338399e]"I....I'm sorry, I just can't go back there right now. I....have unfinished business here and....I'd like to stay here. Please?"[/i:9d3338399e] Her softly worded query was the closest she would ever came to begging and it was obvious to Julius that going back to her estate would bring back too many memories she couldn't face yet.

[i:9d3338399e]"Alright, Cyrilynn. In that case, continue on with whatever you were doing. I'll send for you when I need you."[/i:9d3338399e] Suddenly the wizard was weary. Sometimes with her, it was like pulling teeth to get her to admit she couldn't face things alone. [i:9d3338399e]"Please remember that I'm here if you need any help."[/i:9d3338399e] Cyrilynn quickly scrambled to her feet but halted long enough to acknowledge his offering with a nod. As she turned away, he saw her surreptiously wipe away a single blood tear.

He wanted to offer more comfort but sometimes grief just had to run it's own course. She halted just the other side of the door and said ever so politely, [i:9d3338399e]"Thank you, Julius, for everything...."[/i:9d3338399e] Then left quickly. But not before he could have sworn he heard her whisper something else, [i:9d3338399e]"...but not even you can help me with this. No one can."[/i:9d3338399e]