{SoC} Survivors of Cascadia Forum Index
<  International  ~  Absolution
Valek
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:19 pm  Reply with quote
Cappadocian

Mt. Qomolangma « The third goddess » Tibet.

It has been a few days and nights since I began to climb the mountain, in search of an artefact, an artefact said to bestow eternal life unto its bearer. I was about halfway thru this hellish climb at roughly 4400 meters high and it looked like I would go no further on this day, night was settling in and I could simply not risk going in blinded by the dark of night.

Later that night, something was bothering me and I couldn’t sleep, I kept having the same nightmare ever since I began the ascension of the mountain, a deep voice calling my name in the darkest of caves with no means of escape, “If it breathes it lies, if it bleeds it dies... “ It kept saying, screaming my name in between every now and then at the end... Mara!!! Ugh, that blood gurgling voice gave me the creeps.

Just as I was trying to wash away the thought of it all, the mountain began to tremble tremendously, I had to get out the tent to find a better shelter, it couldn’t be anything else but an avalanche, I barely stepped foot outside the tent when the snow Armageddon hit me, tumbling, rolling and attempting to grasp something to prevent my inevitable fall, I was conclusively projected on the nearby platform whom collapsed shortly after.

It was quite a drop, my right leg broke on the way down, but thankfully the snow absorbed most of my 20 to 50 foot fall, in what seemed to be a cave. I could barely move myself, the pain pierced thru my leg like a thousand needles with each movement, but I had to, if another batch of snow was to fall on me, I’d be buried alive.

Pulling myself out the best I can I could hear the cracking of bones in my leg, the hardest part was not to scream in attempt prevent any further snowfall, the pain had the best of me as I yelped in pain, successfully crawling away as more snow fell to seal the hole completely.

I felt dizzy and as I looked at my leg I blacked out, the pain was too much.

A few hours later

In my wake, I barely felt the pain anymore, in fact I could barely feel anything at all which was quite worrying, my suit tore open in the fall and my legs began to freeze in the few hours I was unconscious, I started to panic reaching for my backpack, hoping the first aid kit, lighter and flashlight was still in... And thank God everything was still in there!

Fuck! The flashlight was broken, I had to make use of the lighter the best I could as I bandaged my broken leg, which probably didn’t do much good, it had to do for the time being.

Placing some distance a little bit more as I dragged myself away from where I fell, I knew I had to find a way to start a fire, warm myself a little, all I had in the bag was a few spare shirts and climbing accessories, guess I’ll have no choice to use the bag and clothes for it.

The fire was now lit, it would be short lived but it was better than nothing. As the clothes caught on fire, the room was lit a bit more for me to see, it was at this very moment I realized I accidently fell into the place I was looking for, this had to be the cave where the artefact is! Why would the place have trace of human’s activity otherwise? Extinguished torches hanging on the walls and remains of animals and ugh, what seemed to be humans as well.

I felt the presence of the cave as if it was a living, breathing creature as the stench of rotten flesh overwhelmed me.

Then there was the voice, it came from inside and all around.

“Welcome”

“Who are you?”, I asked, trying to keep my composure.

“You know” the voice answered eerily.

I did know, or at least I thought. It was said, well, legends said that a creature of Cain, a very old one, guarded the artefact, I always thoughts those were fables, meant to scare away explorers. Perish the thought, I glanced quickly at the remains on the ground, those had to be... explorers deemed unworthy of the gift of eternal life.

“This cannot be, you can’t be him” I stuttered, quickly losing my composure.

The silence took over the space as my words died out. It seemed like an hour went by before the response came.

“What did you expect?”

The voice was penetrating but patient.

“I don’t know ... I never believed any of these religion wars between good and evil”, I uttered

“Is that why I am here? Is this why you’re talking to me?”

Silence.

I continued: “They say the greatest trick you ever pulled was convincing the world you don’t exist”

“No, the greatest trick I ever pulled was convincing the world that there is an alternative”

“There is no God?” I shivered.

The cave trembled with the words: “I am God to your kind”

The campfire died as the cave trembled; darkness engulfed the room as the stench of rotten flesh became more present, unbearable even.

“Please don’t kill me.. “ I uttered with a trembling voice.

“I only came seeking the artefact, I had no desire to disturb you”

Silence was present and was only broken by the sound of bloodied footsteps making its way to me.

“ I am the Artefact” the thing said, its cold fingers wrapping themselves around my neck as it brought me to his level, it’s eyes lit red, analyzing me, terrifying me.

Tilting his head on the left, its eyes never leaving mine, the thing muttered “ Allison? “

Releasing its grip, I heard once more the cracking of bones as I collapsed on my broken leg, yelping in agony.

I looked up at him, puzzled... as another voice echoed in the room
“Kill her... Va...lek. “

“No... she’s the one. “ he barked back at the other voice, obviously I had to resemble someone dear to him or thought I was someone else...

Two women like figures approached, torch in hand, one wearing a torn hood while the other seemed more modernly dressed.

I struggled to stay awake as they approached, but the pain was too much and blacked out once more...

(( Hey everyone, hope you guys enjoyed the read, I always wanted to give a proper end, an happier end to one of my favorite character, but never got to it, as fellow writers you guys can relate how bothersome it is to have something lingering like this, at the very least it bothers me ahaha

Anyway, gonna finish it in a few more posts! ))

Gabriel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:48 pm  Reply with quote
Ventrue

((oh i'd be more than happy to read the end of Valek's story! and yes, the characters out there in creative limbo is hard to stomach at times!

that said....more please.