<  Europe  ~  A School for Magi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:13 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Even with all of the power and the skills Julius had accumulated over ten thousand years of past life memory, still bright sunlight was anathema to the estranged childe of Tremere. Thus as far as possible, he kept to the shade of the building which had become a school for magic of all kinds. He had personally greeted each of the handful of students who had so far arrived, disaffected Tremere apprentices who had risked all to study the higher arts and this, the first mortal student to arrive deserved no less. Julius simply wished that she had chosen to arrive when it was darker. High noon of a hot Touraine summer did not suit his complexion well.

It had been a year since the diabolic horde had been exorcised from Touraine. The twilight demon Desardis given a new home, or rather prison, from which it was hope, he would not escape. Those suffering from from demonic possession, including his beloved Eveshka, were now returned to their usual selves and all was, for the moment, well.[1]

Julius shuddered. All well. In his experience, it was just when things seemed at their best that something would go horribly wrong. Another crisis to endure, another enemy to defeat. With any luck it might be something his new students could deal with, he'd had his fill of adventuring for at least the next couple of decades. Perhaps by then he'd have thought of a name for this place.

For all the new students who would be arriving, full of wonder and new hope, the adventure was just beginning.

[1] For further details, see the (as yet unfinished) "Two Graves" thread.
--
This thread is open to anyone who wants to join in, but please see the "school rules" thread in OOC before posting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 0Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:26 pm
Cassie had grown increasingly withdrawn as they had approached Touraine. Hardly surprising really, as current Tremere propaganda had Julius painted as some kind of monster, public enemy number one, approach with extreme caution. This was, perhaps, not entirely without justification. The famous temper of Julius Darrant had been known to cause death and destruction on an almost biblical scale.

Lucien still remembered the day he had found her, a waif abandoned kindred, lost and alone on the streets of Toronto almost feral, starving and halfway to surrendering her soul to the beast within. She'd attacked him in her madness, but untrained and unskilled she had proven little challenge and Lucien's fangs had found her neck. A little diablerie easily cleansed back at the chantry would make for a fine evening's work.

As the first taste of the little blood she had remaining passed his lips he knew, as all Tremere would, that she was kin. No lost Caitiff this, but rather a pure blooded Tremere in her own right. Instead of draining her, he had fed her from his own veins, sating the beast writhing within her and restoring some sense of sanity to her mind. He had then returned to the chantry, taking her under his wing with the approval of the Regent and teaching her the basics of life as a kindred and more importantly as a member of House and Clan Tremere.

Who her Sire had been was impossible to say. That she was newly embraced was clear, but the Regent had not given permission for the creation of a new apprentice. Either she was the illegitimate childe of one of the chantry members, or there was a rogue Tremere in the city, perhaps even one of the Caitiff who knew not his lineage. Whatever her origins, she had been accepted into the chantry, but always viewed with a certain amount of suspicion.

The Code of Tremere requires that apprentices are treated with respect and given appropriate tutelage for their magical studies. Cassie received her due according to the code, but always a bare minimum. The doubt of her origin clouding her unlife at the chantry in subtle, but ever present ways. Ways which began to affect Lucien, but not because of his association with Cassie.

As the Childe of the great, powerful and famous Pontifex Julius Darrant, Lucien had enjoyed a privileged status at the chantry, his superiors and fellow apprentices hoping to curry favour with his high ranking sire. As the Childe of the dangerous rogue wizard Julius Darrant, he was now held under equal, in fact greater suspicion than Cassie, with his every move watched and monitored.

It was with some relief then, that the call from Julius came through. A school of magic, away from Tremere suspicion and manipulation, not to mention the opportunity to study at the feet of the greatest wizard Lucien had ever seen. It was too good to be true. It was also an opportunity to get Cassie away from her own uncomfortable situation.

Lucien had, with great regret, put his Ferrari into storage. A gift from Julius in happier times, it would stand out like a sore thumb when the inevitable hunt came for another rogue of the Darrant bloodline. He had hired a car under a fase name and headed for Sabbat territory, before flying with Cassie into France. Another hire car was now heading up the drive of the new school, to where a smiling Julius waited by the door to greet them.

[i:1d97ebc352]"Come on Cassie, he really won't bite."[/i:1d97ebc352] Said Lucien reassuringly to a Cassie who appeared to be trying to hide under the car seat. He opened the door and with a grin, walked the final yards to greet his old master.

Last edited by Lucien on Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 0Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:31 pm
Arthur Dartmoor had absolutely had enough. When he had purchased his ticket on the busride to Touraine, obvious factors had been taken into consideration. Sunlight, of course being chief among them. As a mortal, the thin youth had never been especially partial to the outdoors, preferring intellectual pursuits over physical endevours. But now, with the phenominon that so many of his lesser peers referred to as a 'Curse' he was obliged to stay out of the sun's effects completely.

The bus proved a risky mode of travel, it was apparent from the start. But his financial situation was unfortunately quite grim, and even after pawning the last of his beloved lab equipment, Arthur was far too destitute to hope to afford a plane ticket.

His introduction into the world of Kindred was simple enough. Arthur had been in the final semester of his graduate studies at Cambridge, under the tutilage of the reknowned surgeon Dr. Hameen Hebbar. The two had grown quite close over the years, Hebbar imparting much of his knowledge into his eager young student. Arthur proved difficult to satisfy however, and even during his busy schedule of classes and demanding hours as Hebbar's lab assistant, unremittingly scowered the school's medical archives.

His anatomical familiarity became something of a legend in the medical circles. By his second year as Hebbar's assistant, Dartmoor was publishing academic journals at an astounding rate. His discoveries in the field of plasmatology were considered nearly groundbreaking.

It had been mid-January when his eyes were truly opened. Arthur had been perched over a lab stool, his long, lean body curved over as his delicate and impossibly long fingers systematically plucked and placed slide after slide into the microscope's stage. For more than an hour, he remained motionless, with the exception of his ever moving hands.

Hebbar had entered the room shortly after midnight. The stout Indian had peered with stern disapproval at his pupil from behind the thick lenses of his spectacles. He had known Dartmoor was motivated, but as of late the boy had been unrelenting. He never slept and his behaviour had become more and more erradic. The youth had demanded his own key to the laboratory so that he could continue his research, and when Hebbar had hesitated, he had exploded with such ferocity, that the doctor had been taken aback.

It was there, in the laboratory that Hebbar had stumbled upon Arthur engaging himself with a rather long line of cocaine. He had scolded Arthur and denounced him for his stupidity, to which Arthur made wild accusations of jealousy on his former idols part. The two had come to blows, and in the ensuing struggle Arthur had tumbled over and collided with the lab table. He lay on the floor, the liquid that he had taken such an interest in now spilling from his head.

It was then Hebbar revealed his true nature. He was Kindred, and although he had never planned to embrace Arthur, the brilliant mind would prove too much of a loss. Arthur became his Childe.

He was skeptical from day one however. Mystic powers and curses were all well and fine for your common 'vampire', but to the scientific mind, there must be more. With the frailties of the human body no longer of consequence, the youth delved deeper into cocaine habit and research than ever.

Hebbar became more and more of a nusance however, insisting that Arthur learn the history and ways of his beloved Clan Tremere. Arthur obliged him begrudgingly, if only for a time. But when the local Regent accused the good doctor of betraying his clan, it was Arthur who had supplied the necessary evidence.

Clan Tremere has little love for traitors however, and soon Arthur was 'encouraged' to leave his chantry. He caught wind of Julius' school, and although it was a bit more 'mystic' than he preferred, it would serve his purpouses, if for nothing other than adequate research facilities.

All these thoughts and more remained present in his sub-concious, but had not prepared him for the annoyances of public transportation. He had just made up his mind to crush to youth behind him that had kicked his seat the entire ride when he reached his stop.

As he stepped down from the bus and made his way towards the industrial-complex like architecture of the school, he wondered what discoveries about the both the world and himself, he would find.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 2Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:31 am
Cassie stepped from the vehicle with trepidation in every line of her body. She'd argued, briefly, with Lucien that perhaps she was just changing one uneasy home for an even worse one but his assurances had come thick, fast and unquestionable. So, she'd swallowed her misgivings and gone along. After all, it's what he'd wanted and she wasn't about to deny him. She sighed.

Her silvery-blonde hair moved wildly, as if a stiff breeze played with it but there was no other indication that Mother Nature was cooking up anything besides more summer heat for the mortals that basked in the sun's rays. The young student reached up and tried to bring her unruly hair under control but it was proving difficult as it crackled beneath her touch. With what little control she managed, she tried to bury her fears under a layer of false bravado and took enough steps to bring her just behind Lucien's right side.

It shocked the young Tremere when Julius suddenly swept Lucien up in a rather large hug and her eyes got misty with longing for someone to do the same to her. She [b:e9f170b3c6]SO[/b:e9f170b3c6] missed her foster parents that she had a large hollow ache where her heart used to beat. She took a step back to allow the pair a bit of privacy and hung her head in an attempt to become invisible, as well as to gather herself before more agitation could set in. She didn't notice her hair beginning to stir again.

[i:e9f170b3c6]"Welcome, Lucien. It's good to have you here. Your assistance will be invaluable."[/i:e9f170b3c6] Julius held Lucien at the the end of his arms and gave him a quick scan to assess his health and state of mind. All of which was answered by the young man's bright smile. [i:e9f170b3c6]"Come, I've much to tell you."[/i:e9f170b3c6] Like a well-pleased father, the newly made dean dropped his hands and began to turn away, drawing his childe with him by mere presence alone.

A soft shuffle of an extra pair of feet alerted both of them to the unnoticed woman. Two pairs of eyes turned in unison towards the lone figure and the silence stretched a bit. The movement of Cassie's hand, in an effort to tame her unruly hair again, broke the tableau and the Sire turned questioning eyes to his protege. [i:e9f170b3c6]"Whom have we here, Lucien?"[/i:e9f170b3c6] The youngster turned a luminescent smile on his master and introduced his own prodigy with delight.

[i:e9f170b3c6]"Julius, this is Cassandra Wade."[/i:e9f170b3c6] There was a touch of pride in the voice, as if he'd created her, but it added another layer of happiness to her own feelings about her mentor. [i:e9f170b3c6]"She's under the same cloud of mistrust that I've come under,"[/i:e9f170b3c6] Lucien frowned momentarily, [i:e9f170b3c6]"and I felt it would be in her best interests to bring her here."[/i:e9f170b3c6] He imparted, through their blood bond, what he didn't want Cassandra to overhear, [i:e9f170b3c6]"She's just not receiving the training she needs for her skills. I hope you don't mind, Julius.[/i:e9f170b3c6]" There was a hint of a pleading note in the statement.

The Sire only nodded once, accepting his childe's judgement without hesitation, and used his own Auspex for more detail. She was certainly Tremere and, from the looks of things, vastly talented. No telling what would have come of her own fumbling attempts at learning if the Elders of her chantry were unwilling to tutor her in nothing more than the basics. It would be interesting to see how she developed under the school's auspices.

[i:e9f170b3c6]"Cassie, come and greet my Sire, Julius"[/i:e9f170b3c6] The Tremere fledgling looked up, eyes widened, at the larger-than-life, undead legend. And nearly fainted. It was even more disconcerting that he was just as dark and as dangerous looking as Lucien. "[b:e9f170b3c6][i:e9f170b3c6]OH MY![/i:e9f170b3c6][/b:e9f170b3c6]" she thought, "[i:e9f170b3c6]and just as yummie![/i:e9f170b3c6]" With a furious blush at her wayward thoughts, Cassandra stepped forward and tentatively extended a quivering hand. Her hair, suddenly raised into a radiant halo, brought the Magus to an abrupt halt at the phenomenon. Just as the woman placed her hand in his own.

The answering jolt had the two magi, ancient and neonate, breaking apart in with an abrupt jerk. Julius in total astonishment, that he could be so caught off guard, and Cassie in sheer terror. She gasped at her effrontery and began stammering apologies as her vision swiftly greyed and then threatened to blacken entirely. Lucien, unknowningly catching the imminent faint, closed the distance and unconsicously interposed his body between his Sire and his foundling. "[i:e9f170b3c6]She didn't mean it, Julius, she can't help it. Truly![/i:e9f170b3c6]", he threw over his shoulder, hoping to do some damage repair, just as aware of his Sire's temper as much as his sense of fairplay.

He turned back to Cassie, giving her a hearty shake to gain her waning attention and away from her self destructive thoughts, "[i:e9f170b3c6]Cassandra, control!! Remember what I taught you?[/i:e9f170b3c6]" He [b:e9f170b3c6]never[/b:e9f170b3c6] called her "Cassandra" unless he was angry with her!! She almost wept that she'd let him down and the blow to her hidden crush on this gentle scholar was enough to divert her from passing out. She gathered her wits and straightened beneath his regard. It was important to him that she take a hold of her wayward emotions and remedy her mistake. She turned blood-dampened blue eyes to the Master of the school and apologized in a stiffling, formal manner.

"[i:e9f170b3c6]My sincerest regrets, Master Julius, I promise that won't happen again.[/i:e9f170b3c6]" Her head started to lower into a submissve posture of an student caught out in unauthorized experimentation but she halted the gesture and brought her attention back to the Master, "[i:e9f170b3c6]May I join your school for further training? I think I'm in need of it.[/i:e9f170b3c6]" Lucien's creator's silent re-appraisal of her self left Cassie sweating with anxiety, again, but she reigned in the ensuing flood of feelings and stood as queietly under his searching gaze as she could manage.

Apparently, he liked enough of what he saw because his countenace relaxed into a welcoming smile, although he absently rubbed at his stung palm. "[i:e9f170b3c6]Enter and be welcomed, Tremere Cassandra.[/i:e9f170b3c6]", was the time-honored, equally formal reply. Cassandra let out a quiet breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding and prayed fervently that her life here wouldn't always be this nerve wracking..

Julius turned and started back into the interior just as Lucien leaned down, whispered his invite into her ear and took her hand in his, sending shivers of delight running up and down her spine. "[i:e9f170b3c6]He's not angry with you, just startled. Come on, let's go and met the others.[/i:e9f170b3c6]" Cassie quelled the urge to turn into his shoulder and kiss him soundly! He would run like a jackrabbit if she even hinted at her desires, so she merely buried the emotions under the guise of intense listening.

Grabbing her single carryall from it's place at her feet, and stumbling after her guide as he plunged eagerly after his Sire, towing her behind like a favored toy, she once again reminded herself that it would never do for him to discover she was head-over-heels in love with him. It wouldn't do, at all!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:16 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Eveshka walked out of Mt. Louis, her "vacation" home halfway between Tours and Amboise. It was a typically french over cast autumn night. The stars were completely covered by clouds and the moon was all but nonexistent. The winds ripped down the Loire Valley and tugged at her sweater. She was dressed conservatively tonight, dark dress slacks, a cream coloured turtle-neck Arran sweater, and flats. She had waited for Julius to come home from his first day at Hogwarts, as she still refered to it, but he'd not returned yet. She had grown bored of being here. She decided to leave Montcalm, thoroughly blood bound of course, in charge of things in Touraine while she spread her wings. For the first time in her existence, since she was truly mortal and married to Boyar Yevgeny Shuvlov of Pskov, she was again monogamous. She'd not dallied with anyone, not even during feeding. Sure, they ENJOYED it, but she didn't really do anything with them anymore. She was still head over heals in love with Julius, she was just bored of Tours.

She'd made up her mind that she would take a little trip back to Russia. Alone this time, looking for nothing and no one. She just wanted to walk in the forests of her ancient childhood. Perhaps she would stay for a while, perhaps she'd stay forever. She'd written to Gustav Breidenstein of Berlin announcing her arrival in that city in a few days and that she wished to chat for a bit about the prospects of a Russian vacation. His reply was cordial but not overly warm. This was to be expected, she was a Toreador Princess, he was a Ventrue Prince. She'd hoped to see Julius one last time before leaving but his work kept him away, again.

She left him a short but affectionate note promising that she'd not truly be leaving him, that she'd love him forever, and that nobody would take his place as her lover and best friend. She signed it "Forever... Evey."
With a shrug she scooped up Measha and climbed into the back of her limo. Soon she was airborne in a Darrant Industries Gulf Stream V headed for Berlin.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quote
[i:31aa9630e1]"The power of a Kindred is, as they say, in the blood. It's almost instinctual. The newest ghoul is able to access potence from the first moment kindred blood passes his lips. For kindred, such as us, the embrace instantly grants powers beyond imagining, that over time become second nature, refined and improved. Even the most mystical powers, the obtenebration of the Lasombra or the Chimerstry of the Ravnos are the inheritance granted by the blood of our Grandsires. A Kindred's natural abilities."[/i:31aa9630e1]

[i:31aa9630e1]"Thaumaturgy is different. It took a group of the world's greatest magi years of study to invent basic methods by which kindred could perform spells. I wonder if Tremere, stripped of his powers, took time to regret his decision to drink the concoction Goratrix had created. Thaumaturgy is not natural to kindred. Even to those of Tremere's line. It has to be learned from books or a teacher, it cannot spontaneously spring into existence. To master it's exacting discipline will take time and effort."[/i:31aa9630e1]

Julius smiled. [i:31aa9630e1]"But then, by coming here, you have already shown a willingness for to go the extra mile."[/i:31aa9630e1]

[i:31aa9630e1]"Some of you will find this easier than others. Both the Tremere and our Tzimisce forbears have been around magic for so long that it has seeped into the blood, yet it is not beyond the ability of any sufficiently motivated kindred to learn what can be taught here."[/i:31aa9630e1]

[i:31aa9630e1]"By now, you will have discovered that Thaumaturgy is restrictive, rigid and inflexible. Those of you following that Lure of Flame will find it extremely hard to diversify into Movement of the Mind, until you have mastered your first path. This is the curse of the Kindred mage. The blessing is eternity in which to master your art."[/i:31aa9630e1]

[i:31aa9630e1]"Therefore, to help me assess your abilities. I would like each of you to do a little project for me. Put something together, a presentation, to show off your mastery of magic. You may consult with each other, or the student sections of the library, but not with the staff. I look forward to exploring your talents with you."[/i:31aa9630e1]

[i:31aa9630e1]"That's all for today. Class dismissed."[/i:31aa9630e1]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
User avatarMortalPosts: 1Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:22 am
[i:30729745ef]It can’t rain all the time....

“Can’t it?”[/i:30729745ef] Marley stood looking up the road. At one end of the road was the world he was once part of. At the other was the place he was going to. The threshold that separated this world from the realm [b:30729745ef]the[/b:30729745ef] book had made him aware.

Rain came down, at first in teasing spittles, then in a frothing, bouncing torrent that, if it weren’t for his waterproof, would have soaked him to his skin.

He muttered, wishing he knew how to stop the rain, or at least deflect it. Pulling his hold-all tighter on his shoulder he trudged on. The rain threatening to wash him away as if trying to hinder his crossing over.

He decided to sing.

It wasn’t a particularly bad voice he sang with. But then it wasn’t exactly good either. But he did it all the same, whistling when the instrumental breaks would take over, and trying not to croak on the high notes. The weather seemed to acknowledge his attempt at high spirits and lightened its onslaught, drawing back the ash grey curtain of rain revealing a strange, out of season sunshine that turned the wet road into a path of steam. It made him think of the rainbow bridge leprechauns were supposed to wait beyond, and that thought in turn made him think of another song....

[i:30729745ef]“Somewhere! Over the rainbow!”[/i:30729745ef]

He chuckled as he sang, filling in the repeated blanks he didn’t know the lyrics for.

--------

The wall wasn’t much to look at. But every time he tried to climb it, it got higher and he inadvertently fell off. He cursed the rocky barrier and looked around.

The wall was opened by a large iron gate that looked too old for the estate to be used regularly. But as he had learned, you never took things at first glance. He studied the gate, it wasn’t locked, but it would absolutely positively not open no matter how hard or how gently he tried. So instead he studied the two pillars of sandstone that supported it.

Each stood roughly five feet high. They were crudely built but quite pleasing to the eye in a rustic sense. On top of one an even cruder bas relief sat. He tried not to, but he was a curious lad.

The figure sat. No it squatted as if it felt bloated for eating too much. It wasn’t hideous by any means. In fact it had a strangely pleasant demeanour that made him think of a toad and a cabbage. It certainly wasn’t put there to ward off evil, being more gurgle than gargoyle. But it certainly made him think...

[i:30729745ef]“It’s rude to stare you know.”[/i:30729745ef]

He stepped back, startled. The voice was too soft to be threatening. It spoke again before he admitted it’s source.

The toad-cabbage figure blinked stony eyelids and smiled broadly.
[i:30729745ef]“Come on then. Cat got your tongue?”

“Errrr.”

“Quite the linguist aren’t ya? What ya here for? You look lost to me. Well? Are ya? Lost I mean?”[/i:30729745ef]

It didn’t seem worthwhile denying his purpose here, least not to a 2 feet tall, toad-cabbage that was currently scratching it’s rocky arse.

[i:30729745ef]“I’m looking for the School.”

“School eh? What school would that be? Oh, hang on...”[/i:30729745ef]

The little sentry spotted something on the gate....it looked woefully like crusted, dried birdshit. A quick switch of its tongue and the crap was gone.

[i:30729745ef]“That’s better. Now what school did you say?”[/i:30729745ef]

[i:30729745ef]“The School of Magic....”[/i:30729745ef] Marley flinched from the figure’s reply before it had arrived.

[i:30729745ef]“Ahhh. Well why didn’t you say so? It’s right there.”[/i:30729745ef] It pointed into the trees beyond the gate.

[i:30729745ef]“There’s nothing but woods there.”

“Look deeper young fella me lad. You gotsta look with better eyes than that.”[/i:30729745ef]

So he did. And sure enough, the school emerged from the trees as though a bark-y, vine-, leafy veil had been lifted.

He looked back at the little stone guardian as the gate swung open.

[i:30729745ef]“Go on then. Trees won’t bother ya, much.”[/i:30729745ef]

It giggled idiotically.

He felt a need....

[i:30729745ef]“Thanks uhhh...”

“Not Uhhh. Guido. Tell Master Darrant that Guido sent ya. Now run along, don’t want to be late now do ya?”[/i:30729745ef]

He turned away then, becoming immobile stone again. Marley turned and headed to the grand entrance at the front of the School house.

[i:30729745ef]Late huh? This is turning out to be a strange year.[/i:30729745ef] He thought as he knocked on the door, the massive bronze knocker echoing into the labyrinth within......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 4Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:56 am
[i:265c32b27f]"This is as close as we can come."[/i:265c32b27f] Master Iku stated. [i:265c32b27f]"You will have to journey the rest of the way on your own"[/i:265c32b27f]

[i:265c32b27f]"But, Iku-san,"[/i:265c32b27f] Nyoko said calmly, [i:265c32b27f]"why must we leave and go to this....school? You are more than enough of a teacher."[/i:265c32b27f]

Her mentor looked serenely at the small woman before him. [i:265c32b27f]"There are things that I cannot teach you,"[/i:265c32b27f] he said. [i:265c32b27f]"You must gain that knowledge from your own kind."[/i:265c32b27f] He had come to her this morning, telling her that she would travel with him to see a Master Julius Darrant about furthering her magical education. What he didn't tell her was that there were other lessons that she would also learn along the way. Of course, he was sending along Tameko so that he, too, could see the world and grow in wisdom.

[i:265c32b27f]"It is time for my treasures to shine brightly,"[/i:265c32b27f] her master told them as he firmly shoved them out of the ley line and onto the streets of Touraine.

Nyoko prowled down the sidewalk. She was waiting for the sun to set, per her master's instructions, before heading to the school. She didn't understand why Master Iku would wish to be rid of her. Yes she needed further schooling, but surely her foster father could have provided it.

Suddenly, Nyoko stopped dead in her tracks and a man walking behind her slammed into her side. The young man apologized somewhat profusely and began to walk on. A sibulant whisper tickled her ear. [i:265c32b27f]"The boy hasss taken your wallet."[/i:265c32b27f] A scaled head peeked over her shoulder at the now rapidly retreating figure.

She smiled impishly. [i:265c32b27f]"Maybe you should retrieve it, Tam."[/i:265c32b27f] and then she grimaced. [i:265c32b27f]"Just not as many teeth marks this time, though."[/i:265c32b27f] A hiss of assent brushed her neck and the long shape flowed down her arm to the sidewalk and after the thief.

Less than ten seconds later, there was a terrified scream and she watched as the lad bolted around a corner, running full tilt. The small figure returned, softly clutching a small wallet in his mouth, which she took from him as he flowed back up her arm and began tunnelling into her clothing. [i:265c32b27f]"Perhapsss,"[/i:265c32b27f] said Tameko smugly, [i:265c32b27f]"he will tthink ttwiccce before doing tthatt again. Why hhave we ssstopped?"[/i:265c32b27f]

[i:265c32b27f]"I have just realized that your father obviously had more than one reason for sending us out into the world."[/i:265c32b27f] the young mage mused. She paused there a moment longer, then looked up at the sky which was glowing red and purple in the fading light. [i:265c32b27f]"I suppose that we will learn what those purposes are, but not today."[/i:265c32b27f] she stated, then began to walk briskly toward a gate, behind which sat an office building that wasn't one.

To Nyoko's senses there was an emanation from the building that literally screamed magic. She pressed the call button on the pillar to the left of the barred driveway, but no one answered. She buzzed again, this time a smooth voice answered. [i:265c32b27f]"Yes?"[/i:265c32b27f] There was a wealth of annoyance in the tone.

[i:265c32b27f]"I seek entrance to the school,"[/i:265c32b27f] she said coolly.

[i:265c32b27f]"I see,"[/i:265c32b27f] drawled the man on the other end. [i:265c32b27f]"Well, enter and be welcome. I will meet you at the front door."[/i:265c32b27f] With that the voice was gone and the gates slid open. She passed through them and up the driveway. As she neared the entrance, the door opened and a starkly handsome man stepped out. Power rolled off of him in great waves. His gaze swept up, then down, and she knew what he was seeing.

The newest student stood no more than 5' 6" with straight blue-black hair that fell to her waist, golden toned complexion and lavender eyes. She was muscled without being overly so, while still remaining slim. She bowed low, giving respect to his power and, rising, said, [i:265c32b27f]"I am Nyoko. My master, Iku, has sent me here to acquire further training from those of my own kind."[/i:265c32b27f]

Once again, a soft whisper sounded in her ear. [i:265c32b27f]"He iss undead, sssisster-in-heart."[/i:265c32b27f] Then the small head raised itself from her shoulder for a better look, peering out from the curtain of her hair.

Last edited by Nyoko on Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:33 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:33 am Reply with quote
The last waning rays of the sun, sliced into neat rows by Arthur's slanted blinds, gave way to night at last and the room cooled noticeably. Arthur sat slumped over in his chair, eyes half opened, barely hiding a pair of dialated pupils that peered at the rug but saw nothing. Traces of white powder encircled the tip of his regal nose. He blinked once, then twice, and with much effort began to sit up.

He took in his surroundings with the same familiar sense of trepidation which had become so frequent as of late. His cocaine induced rage had been released on the innocent furniture and contents of his room. Books lay scattered across a torn bedspread. Models and the scant labratory equipment he had retained lay on their sides, or what remained of their sides.

Vaguely, he could recall the source of his anger. A glance at the paper lining the desk in front of him revealed ferocious scribbles, presumably from the previous evening. Slurs and slander about Julius Darrant filled most of the pages. [i:b8abf18385]I've come so far for a guru?! A mystic?![/i:b8abf18385]

He shook his head. The anger had festered from annoyance and frustration upon discovering that his vain hope of unadultered study was false. He was to entertain the rich mogul's fanciful whims about magic being any more than an as of yet unexplained chemical and purely cellular occurance.

If nothing else, Arthur was respectful of reality however. He stood and began to straighten himself up. He could waste no time in getting to the library, he did after all have an assignment due.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
Mortals were all well and good, quite fun sometimes. The students did, however, tend to be younger than the kindred apprentices and lacking a little in maturity. The same could be said of a certin junior reptile with a mischievious sense of humour, no matter how fascinating the idea of a dragon on school ground might be.

Marley, one of the first students to arrive, had enjoyed a one to one tutelage with Julius for a number of months and made good progress, but now seemed in something of a mood, as his new and vaunted powers seemed quite ordinary when compared to some of the newer students and the kindred arrivals. Neither did he look impressed at the idea of sharing his tutor with a class of other mortals.

[i:d0004ae51e]"In your own time, kids."[/i:d0004ae51e] Said an increasingly frustrated Julius.

He was largely ignored. Again, with Kindred it was all the same. Thaumaturgy. This group were currently engaged in comparing each others styles and backgrounds. Tameko, the young dragon was taking great delight in jumping from desk to desk, both enjoying the attention his novelty generated and creating more uproar by swiping choice pens, coins, nick nacks and assorted stuff from other students, creating a pile of "treasure" in front of Nyoko.

[i:d0004ae51e][b:d0004ae51e]"SIT DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION!"[/b:d0004ae51e][/i:d0004ae51e] Julius' voice boomed around the class. Tameko squealed and burrowed his way into Nyoko's clothing, peeking his head over her shoulder nervously.

Julius shook his head. With a click of his fingers all items were returned to their proper owners, who along with the rest of the class had been cowed into submission.

[i:d0004ae51e]"Thankyou."[/i:d0004ae51e] Said Julius with just a hint of sarcasm.

[i:d0004ae51e]"Now, Magic. The Ars Magica, in the latin tradition of Bonisagus. Who knows who Bonisagus is?"[/i:d0004ae51e]

Only Marley's hand was up. [i:d0004ae51e]"Mr. Brennan."[/i:d0004ae51e] Said Julius.

[i:d0004ae51e]"The Founder of the Order of Hermes."[/i:d0004ae51e] Came the reply.

[i:d0004ae51e]"Very good."[/i:d0004ae51e] Nodded Julius. [i:d0004ae51e]"The Art of Magic. For you mortals, a much more interesting, I hope, journey than your Kindred colleagues. For them, magic is unnatural and restrictive. For you, it will come more easily and be expressed in so many different traditions. You will be able to bend power to your will in ways limited only by your imaginations. For you, the curse will be your limited time on this earth, whilst the blessing is the flexibility of your art. Through your power, you will, doubtless be able to extend your years upon the earth, but to a mortal, an end will come. The light that burns half as long burns twice as bright though and I expect great things from each and every one of you."[/i:d0004ae51e]

[i:d0004ae51e]"It will fall to you to push back the borders of the dominion, to return the magical essence of the world to those places where reason has dominated and holds sway. Spirits of the old world will be renewed and the flow of magic will break the dams that hold it in check. You will have noticed upon entering Touraine, that spells seem easier, more natural. This is because in this small area, the magic returns. You're not fighting for it. These are heady days."

"To begin, I would like you to prepare a project."[/i:d0004ae51e] Julius repeated the words he had given to the Kindred apprentices. [i:d0004ae51e]"Put something together, a presentation, to show off your mastery of magic. You may consult with each other, or the student sections of the library, but not with the staff. I look forward to exploring your talents with you."

"That's all for now. Go and take your first steps into the larger world."[/i:d0004ae51e]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:04 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 13Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:47 am
Haven Ashley slowly slipped the leatherbound tomes into the suitcase and looked again nervously at the door to the basement; The youth had been thirteen when he had stumbled onto the hermetic arts, thinking them at first a rather amusing work of fiction when he had come across the book in his family's library, written in latin, still, as was his wont, especially with peculiarities such as this, he had memorized it all, and that had saved his life.

It had been a short time after his discovery that he had come to understand the truth and power in that book, walking down the stairs to the basement, and having the grave misfortune to encounter what had been left there. Though he himself knew very little of who had left it; The man named Wren had called it the work of the Giovanni, but that didn't make it any less of a horror, and one that had almost killed him.

It had been as though someone had sewn several extra torsos complete with heads and arms onto a larger body, and then brought it to a sickening semblance of life, the rotting flesh coming towards him, somehow quickly covering space as he scrambled back, tripping over the stairs.

In a moment of desperate panic, he had reacted with the first thing to come to his frantic mind, afterall, with the monstrosity he now faced, might there not have been some truth to the book? So muttering words of archaic latin, [i:a014cb9259]"Creo Ignem!" [/i:a014cb9259] two hands whipped around in an arcane gesture as they came into the final point, his palms facing the creature.... the blast of sparks was weaker than what the book had told him it would be, but that was rather a moot point, for in the moment of desperation when magic came to mind, the spell had worked, red hot sparks exploding from his hands; the range had not been far, the creature had almost been touching him, and it was only enough to knock it back, slow it down as it flailed about, rotting flesh attempting to shake off the flames and go about its grisly work.

By the time it had done that however, a bolt in the door that was the only entrance to the basement had slid into place, and one very surprised Haven Ashley was relatively safe, on the other side of it... It was at that point that his studies had begun in earnest, as he sought one book after another, though often what lay within the pages of the books he managed to find was truly fiction; impotent and useless in entirety as Haven discovered upon practice, while other spells refused to work, though he felt a reaction, and so knew that for some reason, he hadn't the understanding yet to make the spell function.

Then, one day, Wren appeared on his doorstep, having been watching him for his entire life, the vampire, whom Haven later discovered was his ancestor, had handed him a letter, [i:a014cb9259]"You will be attending, I suspect?"[/i:a014cb9259] Haven asked, though it was less of a question than a statement.

And now, three weeks and many frightening revelations later, all was in order, all that remained was the trip to Touraine.

Wren sat next to him on the flight there, [i:a014cb9259]"As a warning, do not cause trouble for any there, and don't play any jokes like flaming shoes, many there are rather like me in affliction, and none of us are particularly fond of fire... and trust me, lighting a vampire's shoes aflame could be fatal," [/i:a014cb9259]He whispered in Haven's ear, then gave a particularly serious look to him, [i:a014cb9259]"And above all, listen to the instructors, or you'll swiftly discover where the phrase about playing with fire came from!"[/i:a014cb9259]

Haven winced at the remark, but finally nodded before the plane, a small private jet that had been chartered for them, landed in a small field just outside of Touraine, just after midnight. Wren of course, knew the hazards that this field presented, it was outside the city, and in eight hundred and ninetyfive years, Wren had learned that the countrysides were not fun places, especially should your local lycanthropes take an interest in you... Wren was tough, but he had no desire to have to safeguard not only his own life, but also the life of his descendant.

Unfortunately, having Wren along as an escort, meant that it was dark, and the unsettling red glimmer of Wren's eyes began to make him uncomfortable, so, he pointed upwards, muttering a quick word of magic, and a very small, but very bright blue light almost immediately appeared there... more swiftly than it had elsewhere, Haven noted as they walked. It was one of the two spells he had been able to invent through the processes outlined for the creation of spells in one of the books he now carried with him. The other spell was designed to do away with light, as it were, he found himself much more comfortable with his [i:a014cb9259]"Wisp servant"[/i:a014cb9259] following him and making him able to see, if not far, at least everything within five feet.

As it turned out, when they reached the school, they were not unexpected.

While Haven noticed the figure in front of them, he saw Wren stiffen, and realized that Wren was decidedly nervous; this meant that this man must be a Tremere, because Wren had hinted slightly that Tremere terrified him. Still, Wren seemed to be able to deal well with fear, for he approached the man, whom he recognized.

[i:a014cb9259]"Julius Darrant," [/i:a014cb9259]he said, acknowledging him, he had scheduled this himself, the invitation had been due to a letter Wren had written, bringing Julius's attention to Haven, [i:a014cb9259]"I am Wren Ashley, and I am trusting my descendant, Haven to you, I can, at best pray that you shall teach him to be careful with magic, especially when he plays with the fire he seems to enjoy so much... I must however, bid you a good evening,"[/i:a014cb9259] Wren finished, and pushing Haven towards Julius, he nodded respectfully... then, though he didn't run, he definitely made respectable haste well out of the presence of the Tremere.

[i:a014cb9259]"You'll have to pardon my ancestor, I only recently met him myself, and unless I miss my geuss, Tremere are the only thing that scare him... but," [/i:a014cb9259]suddenly Haven looked rather flustered and embarrassed, the fourteen year old's cheeks flushing visibly in the light of his wisp, [i:a014cb9259]"I apologize, I have not introduced myself... Haven Ashley,"[/i:a014cb9259] He said with a bow, as was proper manners. [i:a014cb9259]"I apreciate this chance to learn, sir," [/i:a014cb9259]He said, hoping he wasn't rejected outright; he had no formal training in magic, so his wisp probably seemed clumsy to the more knowledgeable Tremere, [i:a014cb9259]"And I apologize in advance for my clumsy attempt at spell creation,"[/i:a014cb9259] He said, gesturing towards the wisp that hovered just a touch over his shoulder.

He had, due to his lack of proper training, some severe confidence issues, despite an obvious intelligence... of course, if he wasn't brilliant, he'd have had no chance of learning anything at all on his own.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:07 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 2Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:31 am
Cassie froze in her seat and stared in growing panic, as Julius's words fell on her unbelieving ears. A project! He was asking her to show off all she'd learned, which, she screamed in her mind, was next to nothing!! What little knowledge she'd garnered has been what she could steal for herself. Mostly gleaned from lazy, trusting apprentices who'd left notes and grimoires lying around without being secured in their own apartments. All anyone would ever instruct her on, other than the ever sympathetic Lucien, was the rules of the chantry and the Tremere history and legacy.

She'd even been desperate enough to try experimentation on her own but the two attempts she'd made had ended in chaotic disaster and severe reprimands. The last one of which had nearly reflected back on her erstwhile mentor. [b:1b18e7bcf3]THAT[/b:1b18e7bcf3] was not something she was willing to risk again so she'd merely begun to hang around her savior more and more, asking whatever questions he was willing to answer and trying to please him in any manner of small ways.

Her introspection ended with the realization that she was the last student in the classroom and that Julius was staring at her. She bolted from the room, her hair flying out behind her, leaving a wake of tiny, glowing sparks.

Cassandra paced her living quarters nervously. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.......... None of which made her feel any better. Her incipient terror had propelled her into a fruitless search for Lucien that ended at his door. She'd knocked but at the first touch of her knuckles on the smoothed wood, she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was not there. Likely running an errand for his esteemed Sire, she sighed to herself, and returned to the confines of her own room.

Abruptly, she halted in the middle of the livingroom as an odd thought took place. [i:1b18e7bcf3]"What would Lucien tell me if he [b:1b18e7bcf3]was[/b:1b18e7bcf3] here?"[/i:1b18e7bcf3], she mused inwardly. Staring blankly, as if she could see him straightening from an experiement with annoyance (quickly shuttered) for the interruption, she began conversing with him. [i:1b18e7bcf3]"What am I going to do! He wants a project from me! I know [b:1b18e7bcf3]nothing[/b:1b18e7bcf3]!:"[/i:1b18e7bcf3] She wanted to curl into a ball and weep in sheer frustration, but managed to quell the impulse. Instead a shower of spark's drifted from her hair to the floor, winking out before they touched the carpet.

Annoyance turned to exasperation on the visage of her imaginary advisor. [i:1b18e7bcf3]"Come on, Cassie! He's not the chantry's Regent nor is he what the rest of them make him out to be."[/i:1b18e7bcf3] She'd heard this speech more than once. [i:1b18e7bcf3]"He's a magi like the rest of them. He just knows more."[/i:1b18e7bcf3] The ghost shrugged, [i:1b18e7bcf3]"All he's asking for is a demonstartion of what you [b:1b18e7bcf3]do[/b:1b18e7bcf3] know. It'll give him a better idea of what you need to learn or unlearn and what he can do to help you. Come on! I know you can do this!!"[/i:1b18e7bcf3] The irritation turned to coaxing as the shade vanished back into the confines of her mind.

[i:1b18e7bcf3]"Hmmm....."[/i:1b18e7bcf3], a calm settled over the young woman's countenance, [i:1b18e7bcf3]"as usual, he's right."[/i:1b18e7bcf3] She sighed and, once again, turned inward, this time pacing in slow measured steps, back and forth, back and forth....... Her mind, all the while, racing with ideas. Some grandiose and some just plain silly. Discarding most of them as either too blatant, too showy or just plain too expensive in either monetary means or in blood. The trick was, she summized, to be as simple as possible, whilst exploiting what she could do to the max.

Several minutes later, no closer to a goal, she decided maybe the library would yield up an idea and thought it was time to make use of the facility. On her way out the door, habit made her flick off the overhead light, as the door closed on her retreating figure. There was silence for a few seconds before the door eased open and a slender hand reached in and groped for the switch again. It flipped the lever upward and the room was, once more, flooded with brightness. Cassie's head slowly peered around the edge and stared fixedly at the wall plate.

The rest of her body followed and she stood in the open doorway, thinking hard. Once more, her hand reached out and played with the stem, off, on, off, on...... This time it stayed off but in the gloom, tiny little sparkling lights appeared and began to dance around in a confined space. A chuckle burst out of nowhere and the lights were turned back on to reveal a delighted smile spreading across the young Tremere's features.

Swiftly she crossed to her closet and began rummaging around until she drew forth a midnight blue evening dress she'd managed to filch for herself one night, just because she wanted something that had looked that scrumptious. She'd never had any reason to wear it until now. It was floor length, and with her long, long legs, she'd looked like a swaying willow in it the one time she'd tried it on. It was perfect for what she had in mind. She hung it back on the rod and went in search of one of the school's staff members, to see if they could find the particular thread she needed, for her, during daylight hours.

Cassie worked feverishly on her project every minute she wasn't studying, doing research, assignments or practicing. It was a relief to find out that the assignment [b:1b18e7bcf3]wasn't[/b:1b18e7bcf3] going to be due right away when there was no mention made of it the next night. Still, she wanted to ensure that it was done in a timely fashion. So, her spare time was spent sewing the cabalistic symbols onto the fabric of her gown and each one received it's tiny bead of blood from her finger as the needle stabbed upward through the material and undead flesh alike.

Each day, Cassie retired with fingers that felt like a pincushion. But it didn't stop her from getting the work done. Considering there weren't as many students in the school as yet, and despite the fact that the young mage had become a loner by necessity, she had no distractions to deter her from her path. Consequently, three days later, her presentation was ready. Cassandra wasn't so sure [b:1b18e7bcf3]she[/b:1b18e7bcf3] was.

The fledgeling magus had timed her arrival in class to be the a tad late [b:1b18e7bcf3]and[/b:1b18e7bcf3] to be the last to arrive. As she had hoped, the door to the classroom was shut. Making sure that the hall's lights were completely turned off, she opened the door to the room as quietly as possible and peeked in. Master Julius was looking straight at her but had continued instructing the class. No one else had noticed her, so intent were they on his catechism.

She swallowed, took a deep breath and began with the first step by also plunging the classroom into complete darkness, as she opened the door wider. Muttering the small incantation [i:1b18e7bcf3]"creo auram"[/i:1b18e7bcf3] under her breath, she touched the center of the nearest colophon with the blood-beaded tip of a finger and willed the tingle to well up. She pushed it along with her nervousness.

The effect was instantaneous, eerie and almost ethereal. The color of the dress bled into the surrounding darkness, leaving only her face and throat with a wraith-like presence, as the dress began to glow from the mystical designs placed upon it. The luminescence climbed upward, starting from the hem, and lighting more metallic threads as it encountered each blooded strand, until it reached the neckline. An unseen thread, buried along the nape, carried the trickle-charge to the crown of her hair, where more of them blended in with her hair.

What paced toward Julius was a silver-haloed Madonna that seemed to float in mid-air, her visage lit as if from within, a tremulous smile on her mouth. Just as she reached the master, the symbols began pulsing, then dimmed and faded out, leaving behind only the glowing illusion of a Virgin's face, which shown brightly for a moment or two more, then winked out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 0Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:26 pm
[i:dfbc628a9a]"Lab up to your requirements?"[/i:dfbc628a9a] Asked Julius, hovering some few feet above the school buildings.

[i:dfbc628a9a]"Now that you come to mention it. No, not really. The electron microscope is all well and good, but really doesn't resolve to the depth of detail I need."[/i:dfbc628a9a] Said Lucien, who in the matter of flight, was at least the equal of his master.

[i:dfbc628a9a]"But..."[/i:dfbc628a9a] Began Julius.

[i:dfbc628a9a]"I need a scanning tunnelling microscope."[/i:dfbc628a9a] Demanded Lucien.

[i:dfbc628a9a]"A mawabahoo?"[/i:dfbc628a9a]

[i:dfbc628a9a]"For the CEO of a corporation supplying governments with cutting edge technologies, you know shit, Julius. You really are quite the old fossil."[/i:dfbc628a9a]

Julius raised an eyebrow.

[i:dfbc628a9a]"It's all very well having ten thousand years of past life memory upon which to draw, but the modern world moves on. You used to be right up there, finger on the pulse. I think you're getting stuck in the past old man."[/i:dfbc628a9a]

Julius grinned. [i:dfbc628a9a]"When ten thousand years you reach..."[/i:dfbc628a9a] He replied, in a passable Yoda voice.

Lucien smiled, then frowned. [i:dfbc628a9a]"Could I have a small rock please, master?"[/i:dfbc628a9a]

Julius shrugged and held out his hand. [i:dfbc628a9a]"Creo Terram"[/i:dfbc628a9a] He whispered. [i:dfbc628a9a]"Here."[/i:dfbc628a9a] And passed a small pebble to Lucien.

[i:dfbc628a9a]"Thankyou."[/i:dfbc628a9a] Said Lucien, who propelled it at high speed towards one of the students, leaving a small impact crater on the ground by his feet. [i:dfbc628a9a]"OY! Get away from my car!"[/i:dfbc628a9a]

A shocked student retreated at speed.

[i:dfbc628a9a]"So what does this scanning watchamajig do?"[/i:dfbc628a9a] Asked Julius.

[i:dfbc628a9a]"You can use it to see the positions of atoms and molecules."[/i:dfbc628a9a] Replied Lucien. [i:dfbc628a9a]"I need it for my work on movement of atomic particles. Pity you can't see smaller than that, but perhaps we can enhance it somehow. Certainly perceiving them magically is... well.. it's tiring."[/i:dfbc628a9a]

They stood, or rather, floated, in silence for a while until Julius spoke again. [i:dfbc628a9a]"Maybe you're right Lucien. Things do need to move forward. To control a computer, is it Terram for the silicon, Auram for the electricity, Herbam for the plastics, a combination or none of the above. A whole new discipline of magic needs to be created to deal with the technologies of the modern world."[/i:dfbc628a9a]

[i:dfbc628a9a]"It seems to me, Julius."[/i:dfbc628a9a] Replied Lucien, [i:dfbc628a9a]"That your problem is that you are using a magical tradition which died a thousand years ago and was never kept up to date. Your Hermetic apprentices will have the same problem. Thaumaturgy too, is stuck in the past, though to a lesser extent. What you probably need is a modern mage to compare notes with. Either that, or you go invent a set of new forms."[/i:dfbc628a9a]

[i:dfbc628a9a]"I guess what I really need is more staff."[/i:dfbc628a9a] Said Julius. [i:dfbc628a9a]"I can't do this on my own any more. Even with your help, Lucien."[/i:dfbc628a9a]

[i:dfbc628a9a]"Right as ever, my master. Any ideas?"[/i:dfbc628a9a]

[i:dfbc628a9a]"None... none at all, but I'll think about it."[/i:dfbc628a9a]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
Books. Books. Books.

Dartmoor's long legs quickened with each passing aisle. The dependence of the Tremere upon written literature was an obstacle the youth had encountered before, back at his Sire's Chantry. Of course in matters of Hermetic and blood-magic, a fully stocked library was invaluable. But for those of a more scientific perspective, it was not nearly as applicable to studies.

Arthur had at one point began setting about an update of the Chantry, complete with wireless networking and a hardware supply that was (while illegal) second to none! However, the perplexed glares of the Elders, coupled with his falling reputation as a maverick who considered Tremere history and legend only half true, made implementing the system to any real degree difficult at best.

He had eventually given up on all but a select group of neonates, who like himself, grew up in technologies breast. Now, he found the confounding Darrant setting forth similiar problems. Just as he was beginning to question the true value of his presence at the institute, he burst around the corner into the computer lab. Rows of computers and electronic research equipment lay before him, stretched out like great miniature libraries of their own. Plunking himself down behind one, he found quickly that they were securely connected to nearly all the databases he was so fond of.

The young Tremere began a general journey through the scientific written realm. Data and facts, studies and hypothesis whipped past his eyes and thanks to the halted effects of what others so ignorantly labeled "vampirism", he retained far more than he could have were he in his previous state.

Slipping into one of his signature trances, he sat within the library's belly compiling information.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 13Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:47 am
[i:3a788b5229]"Your first assignment is to put together a project that shows the extent of your ability. You will be allowed to consult any books in the library, and your fellow students as well, however, you are forbidden from consulting any of the staff on this project,"[/i:3a788b5229] Julius had told him, as he escorted him into the school, pointing him towards the Library, and then pointing at a room that would be his sleeping quarters.

[i:3a788b5229]"Now, I am very busy, and must bid you a good evening,"[/i:3a788b5229] Julius said as he departed, leaving Haven to walk into his room, where the young man immediately began unpacking, pulling out a small CD player and a collection of CDs before headign to the library, where Dartmoor currently was, and began looking for books, in particular those having to do with Ignem; Julius had told him to stick to what he knew on this one, and as such, he chose a relatively simple book on it, and opened it, giving it a quick read through as he walked back towards his seat where he had his CD player.

Unfortunately, he nearly tripped over Cassie, sitting as she was relatively near the table where he was setting up, fortunately, he wasn't moving in any sort of deliberate haste, so neither fell over. A moment of surprise crossed his face, then he smiled, "[i:3a788b5229]Oh, my apologies... I fear that I get lost in my books,"[/i:3a788b5229] He said, trying very hard to avoid immediately turning back to his reading; it would be very rude of him.

Cassie's eyes widened and she stared at the young human in front of her. She could hear his heartbeat and the pulse in his veins. It reminded her that she was due to feed soon. [i:3a788b5229]"It's ok." [/i:3a788b5229]She lowered her eyes, just as her hair stirred briefly. [i:3a788b5229]"I'm just about done, anyway."[/i:3a788b5229] She turned to go.

Haven closed his book and put his hand on his forehead, thinking she wasn't taking him seriously when he apologized, [i:3a788b5229]"No, seriously, I really did not intend to bump into you like that, it was my fault entirely," [/i:3a788b5229]He said, then, suddenly he had a moment of inspired thought, [i:3a788b5229]"Ummm, so... what are you working on there?"[/i:3a788b5229]

Cassie turned back, curious that anyone, kine or Kindred would be apologizing for having put her out! His next question caught her completely off guard, so that she answered without thought, "[i:3a788b5229]Um....just some technical manual on the theories of electricity and magnetic fields:"[/i:3a788b5229] She held out the book, so that the unknown mortal could see the title.

Haven peered at the manual, and nodded, [i:3a788b5229]"Intriguing, I've got a project due, Julius wants me to show what I am capable of, unfortunately, my training is rather limited... I had no tutor, you see," [/i:3a788b5229]He said, then looked up at her, realizing that for the second time in as many meetings, he had forgotten his manners, [i:3a788b5229]"Er... I apologize, My name is Haven Ashley."[/i:3a788b5229]

Cassie's confidence soared minutely at his second apology. The unique experience of having been in the right, for a change, made her a tad bolder and she offered her name, [i:3a788b5229]"I'm Cassie, a....friend of Lucien's." [/i:3a788b5229]The hesitation was noticable, but there, and she tried to cover quickly with another question, [i:3a788b5229]"Are you a student here?"[/i:3a788b5229]

[i:3a788b5229]"Yes[/i:3a788b5229]," He replied, [i:3a788b5229]"I just arrived, this very night. Mister Darrant invited me after my Atavus brought me to his attention in a letter, he was afraid that I might inadvertently immolate myself,"[/i:3a788b5229] Haven replied, noting the hesitation; this girl seemed a touch on the shy side, although he wrote it off as just the nervousness he himself felt at being a student.

Cassie's eyes grew to the size of saucer's and her already pallored face grew whiter. [i:3a788b5229]"You're a....a...."[/i:3a788b5229], she actually drew in a reflexive breath and then breathed out in a whisper, [i:3a788b5229]"fire mage......? Like Headmaster Julius?"[/i:3a788b5229] A small shudder coursed through her entire body, her hair suddenly looked like she'd stuck it in an electrical outlet and Haven could almost swear he's seen sparks swirling.

[i:3a788b5229]"Well, I didn't know that was his speciality, but I suppose that I am,"[/i:3a788b5229] He said, noting the pallor, and making a geuss that she was afflicted with a similar condition to his ancestor's, [i:3a788b5229]"It's really the only thing I've been able to teach myself... but I've no intention of going about burning people."[/i:3a788b5229] He sighed noting her hair, it was intriguing the way it did that, as though she had just been half electrocuted.

Cassie's inital fright gave way to a wary respect for this human. She ceased thinking of him as off-limits-snack-food and with a touch more of respect. He might not be ahead of or equal to her in status but he was definitely something to be wary of. [i:3a788b5229]"I'm glad to hear that you're not going to be setting fires about when I'm......sleeping, but I'd best be getting back to my assignment. I've a lot to cover." [/i:3a788b5229]She smiled an apology of sorts as her hair began to settle around her shoulders.

She turned away once more but, as she did so, she stopped and looked back over her shoulder, a smug grin in evidence. [i:3a788b5229]"By the way, I've already made my presentation. I think it went well."[/i:3a788b5229] Then she disappeared out of the door. Haven could have sworn there was a hint of a swagger in her step.

Haven blinked a bit, one moment, she had seemed terrified of him, the next, arrogant as she had walked out, and she had indeed very much confirmed what he suspected. Finally, he chuckled, and having been used to being able to have loud music in his family library, he walked over to his CD player, turning on a relatively fast, loud song by Lacuna Coil called "heaven is a lie".

Then he began to read and practice, unknowing of the vampire working on the computers, he found himself running through hand gestures with his free hand as he paced, the book carried in the other. Of course, he made a point of not applying energy to the work, lest he incinerate the library and set the school on fire, his studies specifically outlined the exact things that could go wrong; even a syllable out of place could make a spell fail outright, according to this book, which made it even more miraculous that he had been able to cast so well initially, let alone craft those few spells he already had.

Finally, he closed the book, careful to put it back in place, then turn his CD player off, heading down the halls, looking for a labratory where he could make sure of his work... It took him almost an hour to find the door to the lab, but he found it, and quietly shut it behind him.

How he longed to get back to those books in the library, to study every detail of every letter in every book until he knew all of them by heart, but he had things that he had to do first. The first thing he did, was look about for a concave piece of stone, something that wouldn't melt easily... fortunately for him, it was easy to find, and he set that up in the center of the room.

The next thing he did, was carefully place a bar of steel in the center of it, and step about fifteen feet away from the bowl, before carefully enunciating the words, [i:3a788b5229]"Creo Validus Ignem!" [/i:3a788b5229]his hand making slow, deliberate gestures, each graceful movement of his fingers in time with a single syllable of the word... And then, a "fragment" of flame erupted in his right hand and then, following the path of his throw, slammed into the piece of steel in the bowl, there was a flash, and the metal immediately turned white hot before the top of it melted.

[i:3a788b5229]"That was a little too easy, last time I tried that spell..."[/i:3a788b5229] He said softly, scratching at his chin in deliberate thought as he turned the CD player back on, then turned, looking at the half melted piece of metal in the bowl, and then looking over the spell in the book, making sure of it again, and turning, this time making his movements a little quicker, but still in time with the enunciation of the words, [i:3a788b5229]"Creo Validus Ignem!"[/i:3a788b5229]. Again, the flame burst into being in his hand, and sped the fifteen feet to strike the piece of metal, melting the still hot piece the rest of the way, and scorching the bowl.

Yes, when he did his demonstration tomorrow night, he would have it down entirely.