<  USA  ~  Bittersweet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 56Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:13 am
[i:eea88e4748]This is the story of what happened to Quicksilver, starting just a bit over five years prior to the Overkill storyline. It is not a story of Quicksilver. It is a story of Ashe Black, the man behind the guns.[/i:eea88e4748]

Ashe shouldered his way through the crowd, considering the ungentle murmer that assaulted his ears, and the light that burned at his too sensitive eyes, even through the sunglasses. Behind him, a ghoul dropped over and breathed his last, but no one, even in this crowd, had seen him bump into the man. No one had seen him jab the man with a needle then yank it out, even the target hadn't thought twice about it.

He might have felt a surge of pride; able to take a victim even in a crowded area, with no fear of reprisal. Yet, he felt nothing, only the growing sense of futility that had been upon him for a while now, and grew stronger with every job, every step he took, every inhalation of breath.

Looking back on the crowd before he slipped into the alleyway, he paused for a moment. None of them knew he existed and none of them would understand him, even if they did. "Is this," he whispered to himself, "Really, all there is for me?"

It was a question that had been bothering him for a while now, and he didn't know the answer.

He wasn't sure he wanted, to know the answer.

Later, he regarded the syringe within the comfort of one of his safehouses, and the liquid torment that lay within. With a sigh, he jabbed the needle into his vein, and depressed the plunger, then suffered through the hateful moments that followed after, gripping and bending the metal arm on his chair before it was through.

Gasping, he checked his account books, nodded, and turned off his cell phone. It was time for a break.

Hours passed as he stared up at the ceiling, time seeming to blur there, in the darkness of his safehouse, while he considered his situation. A loud growl broke his less than restful relaxation time, and he looked down at his stomach, then out the window at the pouring rain. Somewhere out there, he knew, lay his world. A world where vampires competed for power and influence in the many arenas, where they would use him as they would a blade, a weapon to remove their enemies, or fear him as such.

On the other hand, however, a few streets down, was an all night diner.

The insistent growling of his stomach made the decision for him, and he soon got up off the twin mattress that he had moved to after ruining his chair, and headed to his closet, placing several weapons at easy to reach, but hard to spot positions on his body, then pulled on a long overcoat, and stepped out his door.

The rain poured down upon him in a cold, bitter torrent, as though the very sky wept at some great sorrow, yet, for all this, he didn't feel it, still going through the motions of each day, similar movements that seemed to repeat themselves every night, every day, autopilot guiding him through the routines of his life.

Dinner was more like breakfast; fried eggs, cooked over hard, steak, hashbrowns, coffee. The only exceptional thing was the strange look from one of the diner's other patrons, but the man made no move towards him, so Ashe shrugged it off and ate his meal, paid, and then headed out of the diner, intending to make his way home.

He could hardly believe it when he literally bumped into Hollister. "Been looking for you all night. Only found you because a friend of mine called. Turned your cell phone off?" the Ventrue, his former partner, asked, a cheerful smile on his face. "Shove it, mosquito boy," Ashe said, then started to walk past.

"Hold it, Quick. Thought you should know," Hollister said, keeping pace with a man he had called friend when still mortal, "The prince has an open bounty of a quarter mill out on Clarissa Turay. Something about working with the snakes. He wanted to make sure you heard about it."

This statement caused Ashe to turn and face him for a moment, the sudden stop almost causing the Ventrue to fall backwards. "So he sent you to tell me? You've really risen through the ranks, though I should've known you had." he said softly, a dangerous tone overtaking his voice for a moment, though it was lost to the sound of the deluge around them.

"Got that much faith in my talents? Knew you would," Hollister said, his grin widening. "No," Quicksilver replied, then turned and started walking. "I could smell the stink of the court on you."

I'm what you want, when you want it. I'll do the things you can't or won't, I'm everything you need, right when you need it. Take my deal, accept my terms. Give me your problems and I'll make them mine. All you have to do is play by the rules...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 56Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:13 am
Back in the small apartment, Ashe shut and locked the door behind him, threw off his coat, and leaned back against the wall, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes. He knew he didn't need the money, and he'd already decided to take a break from it all and clear his head.

It was an awful lot of money to just pass up.

"Fine," he said to himself, then fished around in one of his pockets, pulling out a quarter. "I'll let you decide. Heads, I take my break. Tails, I do the job." he said, then tossed the coin into the air, silvery light from the streetlamps outside flashing on the coin as it flew up, then came down in his hand. Glancing down at it for but a moment, he shoved the coin into his pocket, went to the dresser where he'd left his cellular phone, and turned it on, then proceeded to dial a number.

"Hey, Timmy," he said when he heard the nightclub owner pick up the phone. "You know where Kenny is?" he said, then nodded, "Give him a few more drinks and keep him around, I'll pay for it, you just got to tell him something, maybe that some girl he is eyein' is buying him drinks. Whatever, just keep him there."

Closing up his phone, he pocketed it, put his coat back on, rolled his shoulders and stepped out of his apartment again.

[i:6acbeea604]Less than fifteen minutes later, at what would later become Club Razor[/i:6acbeea604]

Ashe stepped through the door, blinking to adjust to the flashing lights on the dance floor, and spotted Kenny, chatting up a good looking blonde at the bar. Careful not to attract his mark's attention before he got in close, he made his way to the bar. At this range, he could easily detect the stink of tequila and sweat rolling off the inebriated man, and, by her reaction, it was clear that she could do. Dropping a twenty on the bar for Timmy, he picked up the glass of scotch and ice that the bartender put out for him, then leaned in. "Don't think she is interested, ladykiller," he said, before using his free hand to grab Kenny's arm, twist it, and yank him away from the relieved woman, taking him around the bar and out a backdoor, his victim's protests drowned out by the deafening music of the club.

Once they were out in the back alley, he threw the man to the ground and pulled out a small caliber handgun, then shot him in the knee as he tried to get up. Ashe took a drink and watched calmly as the hapless henchman rolled around on the ground, clutching at his knee and yelling at him, "You sick fucker, what the fuck man?"

Still silent, the hitman took another drink as he watched Kenny try to get up, then delivered a savage kick to the knee he had just shot, dropping him to the ground again, and asked, "Sobered up yet?" When the goon didn't answer he pulled back his foot once more. "Yeah man, I'm fucking sober. What the fuck do you want?" came the inevitable question.

"Clarissa Turay, your boss. You're gonna tell me what she looks like, what she did, and where to find her," Ashe replied calmly, then finished off his glass, idly swirling the ice around in it. "I can't do that," Kenny said, a note of panic hitting his voice, "She'll kill me!"

"Idiot. I'm going to kill you," Ashe said in a distinctly matter of fact tone, then leveled his gun at the goon's other knee. "How many bullets I use? Thats up to you," he continued, knowing full well that the loud music would mask the relatively quiet gun's discharge.

"C'mon man, please..." Kenny begged, tears coming to his eyes.

"Bullets are cheap. Start talking."

-----
[i:6acbeea604]Elsewhere[/i:6acbeea604]

"Yeah, I got him. Hook line and sinker. Its too much money for him to pass on," Hollister said with a grin at Gav. "All you've gotta do is follow him, let him do the work, then finish the job, or kill him when he does, then we'll split the prince's reward. Easy money."

"How do I know you aren't settin' me up? Didn't you and Quicksilver used to be tight?" the gigantic vampire said, eyeing Hollister and shifting in his seat. "Ancient history," Hollister said dismissively, then took a sip of red liquid from his glass, the source of that liquid laying on the desk next to him, dead eyes staring vacantly at the ceiling. "I'm lookin' to make money. Not more enemies."

"Works for me," came the larger vampire's rumble.

"I'd imagine easy paydays always do."

I'm what you want, when you want it. I'll do the things you can't or won't, I'm everything you need, right when you need it. Take my deal, accept my terms. Give me your problems and I'll make them mine. All you have to do is play by the rules...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
Clarissa Turay sat back in a darkened corner of the club. Things hadn't been going entirely to plan, but the local prince didn't have the power to deal with her, that much had become apparent to her. The thought brought a smile to her lips as she raised a glass to them and then glanced over at her bodyguard, a strikingly beautiful woman named Jessica.

She was distracted from thoughts of turning her bodyguard as a darkly handsome, powerful, but leanly built man with salt and pepper hair stepped out onto stage, guitar case in hand, and began playing.

His fingers danced along the strings of his instrument for long moments before his lips finally parted to issue forth gravel throated lyrics, much to the exultation of the crowd. The child vampire's brow furrowed as she examined him; though he was clearly a new musician, there was something very familiar, and she wondered momentarily if she had known him in some passing way.

Suddenly, from beneath the odd sunglasses he was wearing, she caught a flash of red, and she knew. Just as he pulled a semi-automatic from inside a hollow space in the back of his guitar and started firing, Jessica kicked over the table to provide cover, pulled her own piece and planted him in her sights.

Shots rang through the air, but that indeed, was all they struck, passing through where Quicksilver had been as though he had never been there at all. A moments breath was all it took for the chase to begin, relentless killer chasing vampire and stalwart cheif bodyguard alike. Two of Turay's other bodyguards stepped in to impede his progress, but he didn't even slow as they pulled their guns, slapping one's hand down and to the side with a sickening crack as the elbow shattered, then using his empty hand to catch the gun and empty it into the other hapless minion with nary a pause for breathe.

Out the door and into the streets the fight spilled, but, for the sake of the masquerade, no shots were fired under light of streetlamp, instead, Clarissa and Jessica took this opportunity to sprint to the building across the street and inside,Turay seeking to vainly lock the door before Jessica grabbed her up, shaking her head as she ran and chiding, [i:7daf9ae3c2]"Mister Silver doesn't stop for locks!"[/i:7daf9ae3c2]

She wasn't half right, either; the vicious man didn't even stop to open the door; it just sort of blew inwards as Quicksilver crashed through, then grabbed onto the stair railing above them and swiftly hauled himself over, stealing precious seconds from his quarry in the pursuit.

For his efforts, he went tumbling down the stairs as Jessica, on reflex, spun and brought her foot crashing into the side of his head. Leveling her gun and firing, she gasped in surprise and admiration as, in the middle of his backwards tumble, he caught himself with his free hand, and flipped upwards and to the side, unperturbed as bullets flew past him.

Jessica turned and ran, placing herself in between her emplyer and his line of fire before he could get a shot off. For his part, Quicksilver lost the moment to remove an obstacle as he got a good look at the woman who had just tried to put him down. A moments pause, and they were out of sight. Growling at his own sloppiness, he gave chase, and never saw Gav's massive frame enter the building through the ruined door behind him.

The chase finally ended in the apartment that took up the entire top floor of the building, Quicksilver racing down the hallway into what passed for a living room in the empty place, his gun coming up to match Jessica's own, pointed right at her skull. He could take her out and not die; of that he was certain.

The question was, why bother? He wasn't on contract, he had nothing to lose by not killing the target, save time wasted in finding it, so why kill the looker in front of him?

In her turn, Jessica was taking advantage of the break to size up her opponent, and found herself admiring him. Already proven graceful, he was, even at a glance, clearly in excellent shape; powerful without the hulking muscularity of a habitual bodybuilder.

[i:7daf9ae3c2]"Are ya sure you're getting paid enough for this, pretty lady?"[/i:7daf9ae3c2] came his gravel throated voice, eyes gleaming beneath the sunglasses he had somehow retained after his tumble. He was met by a small smile gracing her lips; an act that made the raven haired beauty in front of him all the more fetching. [i:7daf9ae3c2]"Oh, I don't know, I think the job has its perks"[/i:7daf9ae3c2] she said, keeping her eyes fixed on him, though neither made a move despite the fact that Turay was standing right behind her.

The standoff might have continued, mostly due to Ashe's hestation to kill her, except that it was then that Gav chose to come crashing in with neither subtlety nor art, drawing both of their attentions. Quicksilver saw his out, and held his fire, though Jessica's bullets sank into the massive vampire's flesh, Gav did not slow, casually slapping the lovely woman to the floor before tackling Clarissa in the act of fleeing, then quite literally twisting the child vampire's head off her body with a last splash of blood.

Gav, still moving on impulse turned on Jessica, apparently intent on murder, but the mercury loaded gun pointing at him, and the feral growl issuing from the killer, stopped him from making a further move; no vampire wanted to be at the wrong end of the hitman's guns. [i:7daf9ae3c2]"Back off leech,"[/i:7daf9ae3c2] Quicksilver said in an icy cold voice that dripped with his displeasure over the situation.

[i:7daf9ae3c2]"Wouldn't have the balls to say that without your gun,"[/i:7daf9ae3c2] Gav mocked, though Ashe didn't take the bait. [i:7daf9ae3c2]"Fuck off."[/i:7daf9ae3c2] he said, then watched the giant leave.

[i:7daf9ae3c2]"Seems like neither of us will be getting paid," [/i:7daf9ae3c2]he said, extending a hand to Jessica, who gratefully accepted it. [i:7daf9ae3c2]"Thats okay,"[/i:7daf9ae3c2] she said with a smile, [i:7daf9ae3c2]"I'm just about done with med school anyway. This was my last job." [/i:7daf9ae3c2] Quicksilver arched an eyebrow in surprise at the good natured response, as he hauled her to her feet, then took a step back and took a good look at her.

[i:7daf9ae3c2]"Well then, if you're not too pissed at me, I know a nice little coffee shop just down the block," [/i:7daf9ae3c2]he joked; it was not generally likely that someone you had just been aiming a gun at was going to say yes when you asked her out on a date. She surprised him again when she looked him up and down, then reached up and took off his glasses, staring deep into his crimson eyes without so much as flinching, before answering. [i:7daf9ae3c2]"Sure, why not. My name is Jessica, by the way... and you must be Quicksilver," [/i:7daf9ae3c2]she said before turning and heading for the door.

[i:7daf9ae3c2]"Call me Ashe,"[/i:7daf9ae3c2] he managed to say despite his shock. They had just tried to kill each other. She had no fear of him at all. He had never been so turned on his his life.

Last edited by Quicksilver on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
Ashe kept looking across the table at Jessica as he sipped his coffee, trying to figure her out. Or rather, trying to figure himself out. He knew himself; contract or no, she had stood between him and a payday. That meant that right now, he should be disposing of her corpse. That meant that right now, his hesitation should have earned her the reputation of having been the one to put him down.

She was a professional. She might only have said yes to this little date for an opportunity to kill him for having ruined her job. She might have been lying about being a medical student. Why then, did he want to trust her, of all people? He didn't even trust his own reflection in the mirror!

It was a long moment of uncomfortable silence as they both sought a way to break the ice. Finally, mercifully, she asked, [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"What is on your mind?" [/i:f1d5a5c4cc] There was another long pause as Ashe struggled to find an answer. At long last, he settled on the truth, and whispered, [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"I'm trying to figure it out. I respect your ability. I shouldn't be drinking coffee with you. I should have shot you. You should have shot me when I didn't. We broke the rules."[/i:f1d5a5c4cc]
She smiled and arched an eyebrow. [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"What rules would those be, oh grim one?"[/i:f1d5a5c4cc] she asked laughing. [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"The rules of the game. Hesitation means death,"[/i:f1d5a5c4cc] he answered simply. Jessica tried to look serious; it was a herculean effort on her part. She didn't manage, and broke out laughing again; it was fortunate the place was empty, and that it was purposely designed to keep conversations private, or there would have been any number of stares their way. [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"Let me get this straight,"[/i:f1d5a5c4cc] she said, still smirking, [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"You're upset I didn't shoot you?"[/i:f1d5a5c4cc]

Ashe's jaw almost dropped. It was only his professional reserve that prevented it from doing so. [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"I mean really, you've been at this too long. You're developing a complex. Fortunately,"[/i:f1d5a5c4cc] she said with a grin that reminded him of a cat looking at a canary, [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"I know just the cure."[/i:f1d5a5c4cc]

A half an hour later, any number of blocks away, Jessica's lips were against Ashe's, her back to the wall in the hallway right outside her apartment as she struggled for the key, unlocked her door, and dragged him in, practically tearing off his shirt.

For his part, Ashe was nearly primal, his lips went from her lips to her neck, then to her chest as she pulled away her own shirt. He couldn't remember a time he had wanted a woman more. He couldn't remember much he had really actually wanted; he had always done what was necessary, and with most women, it was just satisfying an urge. He was nice enough to make sure that they understood that he wouldn't stay, but beyond that, they never got so much as a phone call.

With that thought, Ashe stopped dead, and looked at her. She was almost breathless with anticipation. [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"You know, as much fun as this seems, I'm sorry dear, but I never fuck on the first date,"[/i:f1d5a5c4cc] he said, then let go of her and grinned, before jotting something down on a piece of paper. [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"But if you want to see about a second," [/i:f1d5a5c4cc]he said and handed the paper to her, then put on what was left of her shirt and headed towards her doorway, [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"Just pick up the phone." [/i:f1d5a5c4cc]he said, and dashed out before she could say a word.

It was Jessica's turn to be surprised. She couldn't believe things had gone so far. She couldn't believe he hadn't taken them farther. [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"Wow,"[/i:f1d5a5c4cc] she said finally, grinned and opened up the paper, looked at the number, then picked up her phone and dialed. As soon as he answered, she said. [i:f1d5a5c4cc]"Pick me up at seven, and don't be late!"[/i:f1d5a5c4cc]

Leave her hanging, would he? That just couldn't stand.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
((Leave the bitch hanging.... but not us. Balls to you mate))

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
(I intend to post again soon. I am trying not to leave you hanging. Honest! I wrote and posted both of those on the same night. I'm workin on more, but... no time atm, college stuff to take care of. Back to it very very soon!)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
((*taps his foot impatiently*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
(Soon is relative if you have a tooth ache)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quicksilver chuckled and hung up his cell phone, then pulled into a parking lot to stop and think about the night's events. The operation had been going reasonably well. He had caught the mark by surprise, and, though Jessica being so capable had been an unexpected difficulty, the job would have been a success had Gav not showed up when he did.

Scratching his chin, he considered that Gav, an opportunistic scavenger in many regards, had simply taken advantage of the situation to turn a quick buck, but quickly discarded that thought; the odds of Gav and Turay being in the same locality when he made his move were marginal at best, which meant that more likely, someone had put Gav on the scent.

Crimson eyes narrowed behind dark lenses as he pulled his vehicle out of the lot and sped towards Hollister's little hole.

[i:c4ada44b1c]"Ah, Mister, erhm, Quicksilver? I'm terribly sorry, but Mister Hollister is out,"[/i:c4ada44b1c] the secretary said, standing as he walked in, her quick response to his presence giving away more than she intended. [i:c4ada44b1c]"Then I'll go in and wait for him,"[/i:c4ada44b1c] he growled and shot her a glare.

Moments later, one of the hired guns that Hollister now employed to do some of his dirty work for him, stepped in his path as he headed down the hall. [i:c4ada44b1c]"I'm sorry sir, but the boss is in a meeting."[/i:c4ada44b1c]

Ashe was a blur as he grabbed the goon by his jacket, spun him around and slammed his head into a solid oak door with the sound of splintering wood and bone, then tossed the thug aside, apathetic as to whether or not he still lived. [i:c4ada44b1c]"Funny, I thought he wasn't here," [/i:c4ada44b1c]he said as he walked towards the end of the hallway.

Quicksilver eyed the door in front of him for a moment, then smirked, geussing that by this time of day, Ryan was asleep somewhere behind it. [i:c4ada44b1c]"I suppose, perhaps I should knock,"[/i:c4ada44b1c] he said to himself almost gleefully, then gave the door a hard kick, sending the formerly solid piece of wood flying inwards in a shower of splinters. In the room he now faced, he found no apparent activity, but that didn't surprise him overly much; his former partner was a deep sleeper.

Walking in, Ashe whistled a tune as he surveyed Hollister's office, making a circle about the room and tapping his foot with purpose on the floor until suddenly, the noise of the carpeted boards beneath his feet changed. [i:c4ada44b1c]"Ah, hmn,"[/i:c4ada44b1c] he said, taking another look around until he spotted a shotgun in a glass display case. [i:c4ada44b1c]"Now that is just fucking stupid," [/i:c4ada44b1c]he said, before pulling out one of his revolvers and smacking the glass with it. [i:c4ada44b1c]"I know I taught him better," [/i:c4ada44b1c]he said, taking out the ten gauge then picking up the box of shells from the bottom of the display case, [i:c4ada44b1c]"And I definitely taught him better than this."[/i:c4ada44b1c]

[i:c4ada44b1c]"Some people's children, they just never do learn,"[/i:c4ada44b1c] he continued, loading the shotgun's magazine, then tilting it downwards at the suspicious flooring, [i:c4ada44b1c]"Time for a refresher course!"[/i:c4ada44b1c] Off went the safety, and the rapport of the weapon firing filled the room with noise and a shower of wood and dust.

That, finally, woke Hollister up, then again, if you were a ventrue neonate who had just taken a ten gauge slug to the stomach, you might wake up too. [i:c4ada44b1c]"What the fuck?"[/i:c4ada44b1c] he yelled as the floor flew open and he tried to crawl out, only to have his face met by the steel toe of Ashe's boot. [i:c4ada44b1c]"What the fuck indeed, Ryan. I'm starting to think killing you, might be doing a favor,"[/i:c4ada44b1c] he said as he racked the shotgun then pressed it against his former partner's eye, [i:c4ada44b1c]"You find me and tell me about a free bounty, and then that oversized brainless brute shows up to reap the benefits of my hard work? Do you think I'm stupid?"[/i:c4ada44b1c]

For a long, tense moment Ryan waited for the end as Ashe stood there, ready to blow his brains out the back of his head. [i:c4ada44b1c]"I'm feeling generous, and on account of the fact that we used to be friends, you get to continue avoiding tans and sucking blood. You ever pull a stunt like this again, and I promise that you'll only wish I'd recolored your carpet today." [/i:c4ada44b1c]he said then pulled the gun away and headed for the door. [i:c4ada44b1c]"You know, you really shouldn't leave things like this laying around, Ryan. I think I'll just hang onto this one for you,"[/i:c4ada44b1c] he said, leaning the shotgun over his shoulder, [i:c4ada44b1c]"I'm sure you don't mind, right?"[/i:c4ada44b1c]

As the hitman walked out of the building, the question came unbidden from the darkened back of his mind, [i:c4ada44b1c]"Now, why didn't we kill him again?" [/i:c4ada44b1c]There was a moment of mental pause before he answered, and when he did, it still didn't satisfy the voice.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
Jessica frowned. It was six fifty-nine, and Ashe hadn't showed up yet, leaving her to wonder if he had forgotten, or worse, didn't care. At the exact second the hour ticked over though, her doorbell rang.

The door opened to reveal Ashe, sunglasses seemingly out of place with the nice suit he wore, seemingly more out of place still, the smile he wore, and the roses in his hand. "You'll have to forgive me," Ashe said softly, a rasp of gravel on granite in the otherwise quiet apartment complex, "I didn't know what type of flower you'd like, so I went with the cliche."

"It's alright Ashe," Jessica said, more than half surprised at the man admitting to being unsure of anything; his reputation seemed to deny the possibility. "So, what did you have in mind tonight?"

"Now that," he teased, "Would take the fun out of it."

An hour later, they arrived at the shore, a basket there waiting for them, a bottle of wine next to it. "You know, this is a bit much for a second date," Jessica said to Ashe, giving him a sidelong glance, a playful half smile curling on her face. "Is that so?" Ashe replied, then shook his head. "A lot of things might be considered a bit much for a first or second date these days. A lot of these things happen anyhow," he continued, then opened the picnic basket. "Its a matter of perspective I suppose."

"And now you're talking like an old man. Hah... sixty years old in a twenty-something body?" she said, continuing to tease, until she saw his look. "Wait, how old are you anyhow? I mean, you've been at this job for.." she trailed off as Ashe interrupted her with a raised hand. "No. Thats a story that doesn't need telling," he said cryptically, then smiled, "Besides, I'm far more interested in hearing your stories than I am in telling mine."

"My stories? What makes you think I have stories to tell?" She asked, more than half astonished. "Right, okay, a beautiful medical student who reacts like she was born to fight, and shoots a gun better than some ex military types I've met? And, not a ghoul, working as a bodyguard for a vampire that was wealthy enough to hire you, and influential enough to annoy a prince? No story there. Right," Ashe said, not bothering to hide his sarcasm. "You've got stories to tell, or my eyes are blue."

"Oh, ah, right. Well, okay, the shooting first. Dad was... well, I don't know what dad did, he never talked about it, but he was away a lot, but he wanted a boy, and didn't get one, just me," Jessica said, pausing to take a bite of one of the sandwiches from the basket, "So he was always taking me out shooting whenever he was home. He kind've encouraged me to be athletic and join a martial arts dojo too... which was weird since I was the only girl," she said, then paused to take another bite.

"That must've been hard. I'm geussing you had to prove yourself every step of the way," Ashe said thoughtfully, hoping to get her to talk a little more, though he hadn't a clue why, and the voice in the back of his head was shouting all manner of obscenities that he should be doing right now.

"You have no idea. I geuss that made me work harder for it... anyhow, I almost landed a scholarship to get into medical school, but it got yanked on a technicality." At this, Ashe took off his sunglasses, and raised an eyebrow, saying, "Let me geuss, thats when Turay approached you with a job offer."

"Yeah, pretty much, but I avoided becoming a ghoul, though I think thats because Turay thought the ghouling process kills creativity," she said, then frowned, "I also think Turay planned me losing my scholarship, in retrospect, but by the time I figured it all out, I was trapped into the job until everything was paid."

"Now you. I told you my story, you tell me yours. How'd you end up being a red eyed killer for hire in the vampire world?" Jessica demanded after she told her story, "Now, hey, your story was short.." Ashe said, then caught her look, a clear 'so what?'

"Well, I want you to know that you're going back years, and... my memory is a little fuzzy, but I'll try," Ashe said, "I don't know for sure when my eyes turned red, but I'm geussing it was when I was about fourteen. I was in juvenile hall at the time... no surprise, looking back. I had a hell of a temper. They finally locked me up for acts of criminal violence... don't remember exactly what caused that dam to break though... I mean, whats the cutoff point on that, really? I mean, is there a certain number of broken noses involved, or a specific 'you've tried to crush someone's jugular' action involved?"

"You? Criminally violent, surely, you jest," Jessica said blandly as Ashe paused to pour a glass of wine, "I mean, really, you're such a mild mannered person."

"Yes, thats me. Mild mannered, never hurt a fly... nope, not me," Ashe said, playing along, "But, needless to say, I ended up in juvenile hall. I don't think I was there very long though... the warden was a vampire, she tried feeding on me. Next thing I remember, I was waking up, every bit of light was agony, and I was covered in blood... two of the guards were dead in my room. I think I blacked out for a bit, and must have fought my way out of juvenile hall then... but I don't remember very well. I've gotten a few different degrees since then, and, because I've got some apparent functional disorders, I spend my money on some medications to help keep those in check."

"Functional disorders? You mean like blacking out?" Jessica said, more than half concerned. "Yeah, and psychotic fits of violence, coupled with a few other things that I don't even half understand. The medications I take do a very good job of keeping them in check for the most part."

"I see. Thats... well, if I didn't know I was already getting into a relationship with a professional killer, I might find that to be a bit of a dealbreaker, Ashe... but... you said you've got degrees?" Jessica said, suddenly curious.

"Yeah. I hate to be cliche'd but even people hoping to be asshole professional killers need to stay in school. Takes math to build bombs... I've got degrees in chemistry, ballistics, and mechanical engineering. I've also taken the time to become something of a gunsmith, even learned a little electrical on the side."

"Wait, so you have all these degrees, yet... you're still out killing people... why?" Jessica said, her jaw visibly dropping before she managed to recover her wits, "You could make a lot of money at any of that stuff!"

"Yes... but I really couldn't manage to make use of more than one of it at a time, and taking jobs from vampires to kill or hurt their rivals pays more in a month than I could make at any of that in two years... and you meet the most interesting people," Ashe said, then grinned at her.

Four hours later...

Skin against skin. He had never taken the time to really apreciate that during sex, or the sound of impassioned breathing. Now, he even noticed the way she smelled, the way she tasted. It was a weird feeling... weirder still to doze off after.

His eyes opened to a dark room.... a very dark room, he could barely see. "What the.." Ashe said, slipping out of bed, his muscles feeling sluggish, his body heavier than normal. Stumbling to Jessica's bathroom, he opened the door and reached for the light, bracing himself for the agony he knew it would bring, but it was so damned dark in the room... it was almost nice, but he wanted to be able to see to get into the shower, though the feeling of his own sweat on his skin was a pleasant reminder of her touch. The light wasn't nearly as bad as he had feared it might be. "Damn, she really wore me right out," he said, smiling to himself, "Can't remember the last time I was this tired," he murmured, then stopped as he passed the mirror, catching a glimpse of his face. A moment later, he was staring at something he hadn't seen in long enough that he had forgotten it.

His eyes were gray.

Offline Profile