<  Important Messages  ~  Hardware Failures and other Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
We had a hard disk fail in the server earlier this week which brought the system down.

I've now bought two new drives, either one of which can hold the entirety of the data on the (now aging) current disks. One disk will be live, the second will be used for disk to disk hot backups, so hopefully losing a disk will not give me the shivers, as none of it was backed up!!

This has meant some downtime, both for the crash and for me upgrading.

Everything seems to be happy again, but expect some more intermittent and short duration outages over the next few days as I settle everything in properly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
And so I spoke too soon and one of the new hard drives failed, causing today's downtime.

So - I've bought yet another 2 drives. These will be make into a mirror with the third drive (the one working from the first two) used for backups.

Hopefully a multilayered defence will ensure the integrity of this precious archive of everyone's work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Right, that's it job done.

We are now protected by a mirrored pair of disks, with a third copy on hot standby.

Again, my apologies for any disruption you've experienced. I do try to take my custodianship of this precious archive of people's thoughts, emotions and creativity somewhat seriously and accordingly, as I'm sure you all agree - I feel a bit of downtime is a small price to pay for a robust and resilient store of data.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Hurrah! A job well done Stef!

And now to add another profound thought to add to the register...

...boobies are fun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
User avatar"Brujah"Posts: 62Location: Central FloridaJoined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:37 am
[quote:0198d8b40d="Gabriel"]...boobies are fun.[/quote:0198d8b40d]

I concur, boobies are EXTREMELY fun.

Nice observation. ;-P

I feel the anger changing me!
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:35 am Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
Only if you don't have to wear them for life!! :shock: :shock: I disagree!!! :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
[quote:9dcd682dce="Lady Cyrilynn"]Only if you don't have to wear them for life!! :shock: :shock: I disagree!!! :([/quote:9dcd682dce]

pmsl!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
Oh, being entirely in control of men's boob-supply more than makes up for having to carry them for life!!

The things I've seen a decent pair of boobs pull off.......well, not the boobs per se, but the woman attached to them.....you know using them...as a female ploy.....thing....cough.

I'll let myself out again, now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
Oh Kahn!! :shock: Just when I think you've gone and died on me, you come back, say something off-the-wall, delight me no end, then disappear. *sigh* Be sure to continue to check in every now and then, would you? Just like this?

I miss you! HUGS!!

BTW, it's not a matter of what you can DO with said supply, it's a matter of gravity management. Trust me, if I could, YOU MEN would have ALL of them that you could ever desire... but they'd be attached to [b:f358fb080c]YOUR[/b:f358fb080c] chests instead. :twisted: