<  Important Messages  ~  Forum downtime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:39 am
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
Yes, it's true. Some one cracked into the forum via the admin panel where they proceeded to delete all the threads and the user registry. I locked down the directory, restored last night's back up files, upgraded the forum to the latest version and banned the offending IP.

[color=red:f5aef51aad][size=18:f5aef51aad]86.145.133.241[/size:f5aef51aad][/color:f5aef51aad]

I am currently in the process of drafting a letter to his/her ISP, British Telecommunications, who will probably ignore my request to have the offender's account terminated. It's worth a try though.

Since we're not strangers to this kind of crap, I am really particular about making back up files as well as maintaining the log files. I traced the offender's IP address back through the log files and discovered he/she is a regular visitor to both our forum and Rainmoon's emod forum. On Saturday he/she downloaded some of his VtMR files (AoRedemption.zip, Emodv_1_8.zip, TakainaClub.zip, EvilSodry.rar, BestMaps.rar, etc). So nice that it was one of our own.

It's likely that he/she will return and there's not very much that can be done about it besides dumping phpBB for the extremely secure vBulletin, but at US$160, I'm not willing to foot the bill. :)

So, yes, this sort of thing will probably continue to happen. I'll take whatever measures possible to guard against it but just to be sure, it would be a really good idea if everyone saved a copy of their posts incase the worst happens.

We now return to our regular programming...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:51 am
User avatarEndeavor Mod LeaderPosts: 142Location: Lacey, WAJoined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:35 am
I don't get it...

What the fuck is Paine's problem? Everyone knows it is him who did it. He even said he did it on the planetvampire forum. He also says there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Well I decided to move to the GameSpy network. I feel their security measures should be good enough to keep such a thing from happening to me. My passwords are rather complicated now. Enough for me to have to write them down to remember.

I wont host a forum for the vampire community ever again though. I'll simply route my link to planetvampire's main forum. They seem pretty active over there.

It's good that you're back up though. I was rather concerned that you might have closed doors.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:46 am
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
It came pretty close, Rainmoon. Even tho' it's Batgirl that he hit, I feel just as violated as she likely does! Further, I'm totally baffled by this ~!@#$%$#@!~ (can't even find an appropriate word for what he is!) as to why he would do this to a member of our community. Beyond the usual "because he could" response, that is. It's not as if (to my knowledge) he had a beef with Batty, let alone any of the rest of us. Is he an amoral slime worm or something, or just an arrogant jerk-off? I think not knowing the reason [b:2e6691d1ba]WHY?[/b:2e6691d1ba] is worse than the hacking to begin with. *sigh* :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:13 pm
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
As invincible as well now feel under Stef's care, I'd rather we didn't stoke Vpaine's fire or stroke his ego by even mentioning him. :?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:49 pm
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Fair nuff. The only further mention of him will be IC, when Gabe meets a young neonate named VPaine and proceeds to force him to sodomize a cow.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:03 pm
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Isn't that more punishment for the cow ffs?

Surely if you must bring it IC, you could have him be sodomised by a Tzimisce war ghoul ;)

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:20 pm
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
A lot of things have changed since I wrote that entry so it's probably best for all if we just ignore it and the pin head. It's not his fault that girls don't like him - he was born that way.

LOL @ cow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:47 pm
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Compliance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:19 pm
[quote:fdb436e1b4]It came pretty close, Rainmoon. Even tho' it's Batgirl that he hit, I feel just as violated as she likely does! Further, I'm totally baffled by this ~!@#$%$#@!~ (can't even find an appropriate word for what he is!) as to why he would do this to a member of our community. Beyond the usual "because he could" response, that is. It's not as if (to my knowledge) he had a beef with Batty, let alone any of the rest of us. Is he an amoral slime worm or something, or just an arrogant jerk-off? I think not knowing the reason WHY? is worse than the hacking to begin with. *sigh* Confused[/quote:fdb436e1b4]

I was "given" a chance, so I decided to take it, is that better? ;)

[quote:fdb436e1b4]
A lot of things have changed since I wrote that entry so it's probably best for all if we just ignore it and the pin head. It's not his fault that girls don't like him - he was born that way. [/quote:fdb436e1b4]

That was an awful attempt at an insult. I'm sure you'd like another chance? :)
By any chance, is your in-game name BtaraKhan?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:38 pm
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Enough of this.

This topic is locked, though I retain the access logfiles and message here for future reference if required.