<  Dusty Books  ~  Good Storyline or Bad Taste?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:18 am Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 0Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:20 pm
My scroll story is entering an area that borders on the bounds of good taste and i wish to have opinions. It is going to use POTENTIAL real world events as a backdrop for part of the story. i.e. The US attacking Iraq. PArt of me thinks it would add an interesting element to the story as it makes heavy use of Bible prophecy joined with Vampire mumbo jumbo. Would using a US led action in Iraq be a bad thing for the furtherance of a storyline? It would be fictitious and would not mirror real world events as they unfold. It just happens that in the wonderful vampire world, the same thing needs to happen in order for more clues to come out and for certain people to be tipped off about things. It's not Iraq per se that would be getting destroyed, but Babylon. Tell me what you think please.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:31 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 25Location: Somewhere close to Bath's ChantryJoined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:40 am
I for one don't see anything wrong with it. I know I've mentioned real life events in several of my posts ((usually in passing, but hey, if it furthers the storyline i say go for it)). I think it would only be in poor taste if you were to make light of the situation. I mean if Eve goes in and giggles at villages being bombed or Iraqi's dying, obviously that's a line that shouldn't be crossed, but responsible handling of the situation could DEFINATELY be a nice atmosphere boost.

Think of the tension that would be present :)

Edgar Allen Poe
Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:50 am Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
I dont see anything wrong with it either for two reasons. One real events will help all of us remember that bad things do happen in real life, and just cause we meet on here and make up little stories that real problems are still out there. So in that aspect it kepts us all tuned to reality.

Second of all Vampire was made up on real events through out the history of the world. From Cain killing Able to many refrences in the White Wolf books on all the majore wars a vampire was behind it so for you to use somethng like that with current events is nothing more then white wolf has done for this game

Arial(aka Katie)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:01 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGhoulPosts: 7Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:54 am
Aye.. go for it. We need to simply treat the subject matter with the appropriate dignity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:00 pm Reply with quote
User avatarMortalPosts: 0Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:59 pm
Precisely.

As long as you don't take it lightly, and give it the solemnity it requires.

It can only add to the tension.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:25 am Reply with quote
User avatarBone FlowerPosts: 0Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:40 am
i say yes and here's why:
i think it adds an added dimension to the tale. if you have a real life tragedy that you can use as a part of the story, go for it. it might give the story the added bit of reality and added bit if depth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:36 am Reply with quote
User avatarGhoulPosts: 7Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:54 am
I wonder who voted no and what their reasons were...?

It would be nice to hear from the "No" person to get the alternative point of view.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:52 pm Reply with quote
User avatarMortalPosts: 0Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:59 pm
No it wouldn't :P They're obviously Raelian spies :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:26 pm Reply with quote
sorry that asme...i clicked the wrong one.... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:41 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 0Location: U.S.A.Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:54 pm
If your storyline is now why not have events that are unfolding as we speak most games lack realism. like weapons being able to dodge, like shotguns.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:42 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
PEEP!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:45 am Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 0Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:29 pm
I seriously think Porter diablerized a Malkavian.. we will be keeping our eyes on him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:37 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 0Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:10 am
I'm agreeing with Echoe.. what happened to you Porter muh main man? Ya used to be so.... sane? (for lack of a better word and loosely used when refering to the Gangrel)