<  Dusty Books  ~  The Neravarine - The Cone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 0Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:49 pm
((The following is a fictional account of the history of the artefact Sam is hunting in "Altruism". Enjoy!

The history of The Neravarine is somewhat confused.

There are almost no written references to the device before the 18th Century. Of course, scattered references to the cone do exist. But these are so vague, and at times so fleeting that it is mere conjecture. Certain key paragraphs from the [i:a4254696f0]De Vermiis Mysteriis[/i:a4254696f0], or Mysteries of the Worm speak of the “Downward Spiral”. A device, seemingly created before the dawn of time imbued with the power to drive men mad, and when lacquered with the blood of the damned, capable of levelling a city. And again in the closing pages of the [i:a4254696f0]Cultes des Goules[/i:a4254696f0], the fevered writings of the Comte D’Erlette, a French nobleman tells of how the twist of gold haunts his dreams.

The references to the cone fade again. It is believed however that the Science Fiction author H.G Wells was exposed to the device, be it directly or not. His work reflected it’s influence in his fictional (or is it?) tale coincidentally entitled “The Cone”, published in 1965. Of course, again the piece in question is vague. However it does refer to Gehenna!

[i:a4254696f0]"This country was all fresh and beautiful once," he said; "and now--it is Gehenna. Down that way--nothing but pot-banks and chimneys belching fire and dust into the face of heaven . . . . . But what does it matter? An end comes, an end to all this cruelty....”[/i:a4254696f0]

Coincidence?

Possibly. But equally possible is that Mr. Wells saw prophecy. A vision of the end per se.

Even without written evidence, the history of the cone begins thousands of years before the Comte’s frenzy.

The story begins in the years before Tiamat forged the mythical sword of Nul.

Laraer, second born of Lamech, lived the life of a scholar. Translating and mastering several of the ancient texts. The Tremere claim he was in fact one of their own, but the other clans refute this claim.

Laraer threw himself further into his studies after the Embrace and using the journals and texts of an ancient Mage he designed the device he dubbed the Neravarine. Made from a gold/platinum alloy, the device resembled a spiral twisting into a cone formation. Recent microscopic studies however revealed that each “leg” of the spiral is inlaid with cabalistic markings dictating certain key spells. Each spell said to induce fevers, unending delusion, madnesses from the vaults, upon the cone’s target.

Laraer believed that by lacquering the polished surfaces of the cone with blood, he could activate all of the hidden “glyphs”, creating a force of energy so vast that it would destroy the minds of hundreds, Kindred and Kine alike. Effectively wiping a city clean for an invading army to claim as their own.

Why would a scholar create such a monstrosity?

Laraer believed, or is said to have believed, that the device could be used as a deterrent for war among the Ancients. Who would dare start war when the result would be so catastrophic?

This sadly is a theory all to often tested throughout human history.

Word spread throughout those of the [i:a4254696f0]First[/i:a4254696f0]. And in fear Laraer was slain, the device however hidden before his destruction and subsequently lost.

Tales of the device falling into the hands of the Garou. Being used by the “Shadow Lords” to infect their rivals the “Silver Fangs” with their well-documented madness. And even of the device being stolen from the Tribes of the Moon by Mages echo throughout spoken history. The Garou believe the device is Wyrm tainted, and they assault the ‘Lords for their dalliances with corruption.

However again, the stories become mere possibility. The device being passed from one to another until it’s recent re-emergence in [i:a4254696f0]The City[/i:a4254696f0].

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:42 pm Reply with quote
((thats some sexy writing :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:52 pm Reply with quote
User avatarSetitePosts: 0Location: California babyJoined: Sun May 18, 2003 8:52 am
[quote:13f089adc2]Sheesh, Toasty, when will you get a grip??

The cone is nothing else but a heirloom of an ancient family, only royal members of the members are allowed to blow into it, the sound it creates can travel for miles, and anyone who hears it must go to the source no matter what, as if the king himself was commanding a spoken order. Oh yeah, and it's not a gold/platinum alloy, but a gold/truesilver alloy...or if you will gold/mithril, which is exactly the same...[/quote:13f089adc2]

Zip it fleabag! :P

Offline Profile ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:42 pm Reply with quote
User avatarSetitePosts: 0Location: California babyJoined: Sun May 18, 2003 8:52 am
La de da, la de da!

Offline Profile ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 0Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:54 pm
((Mmm... cone...

Offline Profile