<  Dusty Books  ~  To play the King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:12 am Reply with quote
The boys lungs burnt with every breath he took, his head pounded and his heart felt like it was going to burst out of his chest. He couldnt see what was after him but he knew it was out there and he had to keep running, just keep running then he would live. The boy risked a glance behind him, nothing but shadows, for the first moment that night he dared hope he might just get out of this alive. Just then he found himself sprawled out on the alley.

'Daniel, Daniel, Daniel. How many times have I told you not to hold out on me? I thouht you would have learnt after last time with Edward.'

Daniel looked up at the figure that had seemed to materialise out of the empty shadows infront of him, a person he had know for what seemed like all his life. 'Sir... I,..I... I never....never ment to..to steel from you but but I needed the the...'

'Sssh Daniel, I understand, Its alright you had debts and no money and no one to turn to and this I can forgive, come to me Daniel.' As Daniel rose to his feet, the figure before him moved forward and enveloped him in an embrace and it was only then that he felt the blade slicing flesh and bone and puncturing his lung. 'What I can not forgive my child is that you did not show me the respect I demand, to think that I would not notice you skimming off the top what you stole for me and then to think that you could escape me. Daniel my son, arrogance without ability is stupidity and it if because you have been unable to learn this lesson that you must die'. With one final turn of the blade the deed was done and Daniels lifeless body hit the alley floor.

As the figured turned to return from where he came he caught sight of another figure standing at the end of the alley watching him. A small smile crept across his lips as the figure spoke, 'Sir Kaydian, your patron sends you reguards and has instructed me to deliver your new assignment, it is felt that there are places that require your talents more than London at present'. The Sarcasim was biting, Kaydian could tell this was nothing but politics, just some way to get him out of way. Ambition was as much part of the kindred way of life as blood or distrust, but it would be wraped up in words and suggar coated to hide the venom inside.

'Why Sir Jacob, you do me an honor to have travelled so far to deliever this news to me in person, may I ask what face our patron requires me to ware for this new assignment. It has been long since I have been allowed to play the dandy in high society', with that Kaydian droped a mock bow.

'I am sure you will ware what ever face is most approprate for your assignment,' with that Jacob smiled, droped the envelope and turned to leave.

Kaydian moved forward to collect the envolope and broke the seal, I wonder where I shall be going....[b:2bf39f02d6][/b:2bf39f02d6]

Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:35 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 25Location: Somewhere close to Bath's ChantryJoined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:40 am
((oooh! wicked... :)

Edgar Allen Poe
Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:04 pm Reply with quote
The old man hurried through the labyrinth of tunnels bellow the busterling london streets, he hated having to make this journey. The meeting always filled him with a sort of dread but he couldnt exactly put his finger apon it. Something about the almost ageless appearance of the man he was about to see, that detracted from the humanity of what could have been a handsome face, instead it was cold and devoid of emotion causing the eye to want to turn away at the earlest opportunity. An uncontollable shudder ran down the old mans back, and this meeting underneather the ground that also put him on edge. Not that it was particularly different from many of the firms other clients, it appeared in this day and age half the long standing customers of the firm had some little exentricity. It no doubt had something to do with the ever growing gap between the haves and the have nots that caused those with money to be very persific where and when they would meet. Ariving at his destination, he knocked softly hoping that he would be able to remain unnoticed and slip back off. His heart sank as he heard the command to enter.

Apon pushing open the door scanned the room, everything appeared exactly as he remembered it from the last meeting over a year ago. Including the figure rissing from the desk across the room from him, dressed smartly in a charcoal suit and black silk shirt that he had been worn last year.

'Greatings Mr. Turnbe, I trust you had no difficulty finding this place,' not even waiting for a reply the man continued 'I take it everything is in order all the paper work delt with and my transportation arranged with my little stop over in France.' While he spoke he poured out two glasses of brandy, 'I asked for you specially you know, after are last meeting I thought theres a man that I can trust to do things professionally, to keep all the details in order.'

As Mr. Turnbe took the the glass of brandy he could not help but think this was an honor he would rather not have, but manage to stutter a thank you. The only silver linning in this whole affair was that it appeared the gentleman was leaving soon, realising that it appeared that his employer was waiting for him to say something, he swollowed hard. 'Yes Mr. Kaydian everything is as you requested, the firm sends its reguards and asks that if you have any other needs you have but to ask.'

'Now you mention it,' the words Turnbe had been dreading 'there is one little manner that I would like dealt with before I leave'. Reaching in to his desk Kaydian removed a dossier and handed it to Mr. Turnbe. 'Inside you will find details of a young man, that masterminded some of the most skillful thefts in the city but more that this when the police raid his dwelling they will find the blade used in that brutal murder of a few nights ago. I trust you and your assosiates will be able to leak that information to the interested authorities, and have no trouble placing me as the boys legal defence.'

Mr. Turnbe wanted to scream, he wanted to ask what possible reason there could be for doing this, if the concept of the law was so foriegn to Mr. Kaydian and why he was even concerned with a murder which in the horror of the modern nights didnt even make it into many of the papers. But he knew that it would do no good, his firm would do as asked, pocketing a healthy salary for meeting the whims of its clients no matter how bizare. In the world as it was it didnt pay to be overly concerned with the fate of a thief and murder. If he kept his mouth shut did as he was told, he might just make it to retierment and be able to leave this crazy world behind him

Mumberling an affirmative to the requested, and moving slowly towards the door, he was releaved to be bid leave and see to his duties. As the door shut, Mr. Turnbe lent against the wall for support, he sometimes hated himself for being such a coward, but he hated the idea of being dead even more. As he leafed through the file on the boy, he regreted what he was about to do, but then he had sold his soul for promotion along time ago.

((thanks for the encouragement))

Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 0Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:20 pm
((I like it :D Has a nice degree of eloquence to it.))

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Roo lifted the glass to his lips trying to avoid the bruised and blooded side, the water was refreshing but had a nasty aftertaste, no doubt because it was poilce issue. As he looked round the interogation room he wondered what horror awaited him, ever since he had been arrested the night before he had been subject to beatings from both the police and the inmates. Last night had been the worst, a brute had taken it into his mind that Roo had been the person that murdered his grandmother and beaten Roo within an inch of his life.

Just then the door opened, and a man in a charcoal suit walked in, smiling slightly he disconnected the cammara and sat down opposite Roo. 'Hello Rupert, Im Kaydian Moore, your legal defence,' looking over Rupert he continued 'thats quite a beating you took there. Seems Mr. Nordhorn, you remember Mr. Nordhorn dont you, well he took your theft of his Cezanne personally and when he learnt that you had been arrested, well you've seen how inventive he has was in making sure you had an interesting time.'

Roo almost thought he saw his lawyer smile at that, like he was relating a difficult case he had won, not that his client was almost certainly going to be found dead in his cell by morning. 'Come on mate, you my defence, you got to do something, you got to get me off, I never murdered no one, if I go back ill be killed.' Tears started to run down Roo's face, as much from the pain throbing from the brusied side of his face as he spoke, as of the realisation that what was left of his life was likely to be as close to hell on earth as he could imagine.

'I never murdered anyone, you used a double negative,' Kaydian the took out a cigarette, tapped in on the table and lit it up. 'Yes you do seem to be up the proveribal creek without a paddle, and as I doubt you will live long enough in police custody to see the inside of a court room, not much point in preparing a legal defence.' With that Kaydian lent back on his chair blowing rings of smoke into the air.

Dispair gave way to range and Roo learched forward grabbing the lawyer, 'what, how dare you, there must be something you can do, something you twisted bastard.' Suddenly Roo found himself flug across the floor, causing pain to rip through his already broken body.

A strange laughter cut through Roo's quiet sobs as he finnally gave up any hope,'I am glad to see this ordeal hasnt broken you completely, you still have some fire left in you. And yes there is something I can do, I can give you the choice either stay lieing on the floor until the guards come in and drag you back to your cell. I doubt you will still be alive for me to make you this offer again tomorrow even if I was inclined to. Or you can pick yourself up off the floor and follow me out of here and I will show you a world you can only imagine, a world outside of the law. There will of course be sacrifices on your part and a few minnor details to be worked out but anythings better than being dead isnt it.'

As Roo pulled himself up off the floor, 'you cant be serious, this is some sort of a trick.' A look in the mans eyes told Roo that he was deadly serious and running out of time to make a choice. 'Fine I accept, I accept this deal just get me out of here.' As Roo followed his new master out of the police station he couldnt help but feel he had just signed a deal with the devil himself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:20 am Reply with quote
The moon light cast slender beams into the old warehouse illuminated the two inhabitance inside, Roo couldnt help think that the pale light made his master seem at home despite the decrepit surroundings. As Roo contemplated his master a shiver ran down his back, he wasnt sure if it was the biting cold or something more sinister, the vampiric blood was merging with his human granting him new strenghts but what price was he to pay for these new powers. A sudden crash brought Roo from his revery, his master was now paceing around the warehouse.

'I look through list on list for some way to intergrate myself in kindred society but find nothing, what I would give for a Nosferatu at the moment, not that I could pay them after being cast from London,' Roo could see the anger flamming in his masters eyes as he spoke. Being cast from London had been like a festering wound to his master, getting worse over time 'I am forced to live like a rat, in a run down warehouse.' Suddenly Kaydian turned on Roo, 'I remember when France was beauty and banquettes, music and perfume and I was welcomed into it, and now look at me.' As quickly the fire had risen in his master it died and a slight smile, crept across his lips.

'But that wasnt why we are here, or rather not why I brought you here, to relive old memories.' Roo looked up at this, he might find why he was here, 'you are to do what you do best, steal a Rembrandt for me.' Seeing the shock appear on Roo's face, Kaydian held up a hand, 'I am sure that you are more than capable of pulling it off, security is tight but due to it being unfensible no one really expects it to be stolen and with your new strenghts as a ghoul you should have no problems ' Roo looked around the room his mind racing, he had been doing this sort of thing since he was a kid but nothing this big. Security would include camaras, guards, motion detectors, heat detectors and presure plates all setup to make stealing it impossible, with triggering any of them casuing an automatic lock down.

'Christs wounds sir,' Roo regretted his out burst but had to ask, 'why on earth do you want to steal something you cant sell, something you cant move and with all likelihood cant be done.' A look in Kaydians eyes told him that he might have gone too far but it didnt matter. He could no more retract the words now than Kaydian had a hope of stealing the painting without him.

Kaydian clenched his fists to control his rage, it took a few moments for him to compose himself in which Roo waited for the blow to finish his life. 'You see my young friend, the robery in itself is a means to an end, it might stir up some tensions in the mortal world but nothing that wont blow over when they find it a day latter. But it may just come to the attention of some kindred and with some luck to me, or rather to the role im going to play. If I do a good job I might just be able to find a place for myself in society. The trick is to make people work for information, the harder they work the more they are likely to believe it. If all works out as planned I shall appear a fopish Ventrue who goes to all the trouble of stealing a painting because he has taken a liking to it only to be returned the next night. Showing a level of dearing that might be of use but lack of forsight to ever be a threat. You see in kindred society my young ghoul you must walk a thin line between being useful and being competition.'

With that said Kaydian sank back into an old chair, lost deep in thought, Roo longed to argue with him that there must be easier targets or ways to make the point but knew that it was pointless to argue. It appeared that his master had choosen that target for a reason one he wasnt about to share. He would just have to come up with a way to achieve his masters wishes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:39 am Reply with quote
Very nice 8) You seem to be on a lot the same time as me... at least visiting the boards. maybe we can play some time 8)

"Oh, but great post keep it going"

:::rolls back over in her grave and goes back to sleep:::

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:01 am Reply with quote
((thank you, I think Im on too much well thats at least what my shrink says :) , id love to get playing in game at the moment im just waiting to find out whether people are staying in Cascadia or moving on to pastures new before committing in my post as to where Im going. But as soon as the people in the know make a decision on whats happening, I sure Ill get to see you in the game, ill probley be the one hiding under the table hoping the Kabal dont get him :lol: ))

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:55 am Reply with quote
The beam of the flash light lit up the corridors as Frank made his rounds again, he had walked the same beat every nigth for the last 20 years. He had never met anyone before and he didnt think that he would tonight, but he was paid to do this and so he would. Whistling a tune he had heard on the radio in the office he continued on with his patrol, yep another quiet night just the ones he liked.

As he heard the old watch man wander off down the corridor a figure silently lowered himself down the elevator shaft just in time to see Frank turn the corner. Timming his run perfectly the thief crossed the open ground and was in the ventalation shaft before the security camara had panned back to where he had been standing. Slowly manuvering down the shaft to minmise the amount of noise he was making the intruder gradualy made his way to his target. Reaching the end of the shaft he droped through into the banks computer mainframe, checking he was alone he moved over to a terminal.

Kaydian looked round at the room full of computer equipment, he made no pretence that he understood how it all worked or even that he cared. As he linked up his lap top to the terminal and started to transfer the data he wondered if life had not been better before the computer had been invented. Scanning the room a second time, Kaydian set to work placing a bunch of holdings and businesses into his name. They of course only existed in paper, ghost businesses bumping around inside the archives of the computer now. Anyone that attempted to check up on his holdings would find records of them, even what appeared to be a number of substantial bank accounts. It though was just one big lie, if anyone attempted to access the accounts they would find that they didnt exist.

But to actually achieve all this would have taken time and effort and skill, to live a lie was much easier. In the world of make believe he got to play any role he wanted, and Kaydian had wieghed his options for the job his patron had requested. In the end all roads lead to the upper levels of Kindred society, and to fit in there one had to give the impression one was sucessful, powerful and above all rich. So he would create a paper trail that would confirm the role he would be playing.

Shutting down his lap top and returning the way he came, Kaydian looked down at his watch, about now another theft should be taking place.