<  Dusty Books  ~  To an old friend...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:44 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
Why do people turn to magic and witchcraft when things don't work out the way they want. Unlucky in love? Wear this amulet. Fools!

Batty didn't care, her small business was thriving. Wooden shelves displayed a large cross section of alternative medicine books, some of which were banned in other countries due to their similarities to witchcraft. "For any serious afflication of the skin, mix the powdered root of ginger with rosewater under a new moon....." Who actually believed such dribble? The same people who came to her for the unusual talismans and amulets she sold. Her peers knew better, anything on display in the store was strictly for mortals. Her wares were nothing more than placeboes; worthless trinkets and curios. The only items of interest to her own kind were hidden in the small room under the store, away from sunlight and wrapped in sterile hospital packaging. It was here that she kept a very special item tucked away in a simple wooden box but marked clearly that it was never to be sold. Ever.

Batty never opened her doors to the public during normal business hours. The store began trading after the setting of the sun and closed before dawn. It was clique she knew, but her clientele seemed to like it. She had employed two pale thin girls... ghouls who dressed like herself but wore black paint on their lips and nails. A peculiar pair but their will was weak and they were obedient. Better still, the kine who frequented her store admired them and happily parted with their money when the girls totalled the sales.

As Ruth and Beth stocked the shelves in preparation for their busiest night, Friday night, Batty went out. Out. She had lost count of the nights she had stayed in the safe confines of her haven. Gabriel was quick to remind her that she had once again worried her friends by being so reclusive. This would change now, she vowed, and Gabriel had given her much to think about.

She walked home via the bridge and thought about the last time she had seen him. It was the night she left for Venice. Sorenti was there, he had eagerly accepted the role as Prince to the city when she stepped down to pursue her studies. Adrianna, beautiful and understanding, had joined them to bid her farewells. Cain had stood aside listening intently, his huge mass ready to protect the coterie if required. And of course Porter. He had given her many precious gifts which she would never part with but now the time had come to return his last.

The Cappadocian wiped the dust away and opened the box. It was a beautifully crafted weapon but it wasn't hers. She let her hand touch the solid butt and imagined she could still feel his touch but it was long gone.

Batty instructed Ruth carefully, the box was to be delivered in person to the gentleman on the business card. If that person was not available, she was to bring it back Batty. She closed her eyes and listened for the bell that would sound above the door as Ruth left.

((errr... a bit of history, a bit of info and a follow up to something Gabriel and I RPed tonight.

It's all yours Gabriel :)

~batty~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:15 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 0Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:23 am
(( mannnnnnn......... darn i hate most of Internet relays even if they innocent .....shit. i knew i missed something good. After i was booted from Won. i could not log on darn thing..... it became not traceble. (tracert command for folks who want to know.).
::waits for other posts about Battys commotion.

P.S. :) wondergirl rules.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:00 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 25Location: Somewhere close to Bath's ChantryJoined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:40 am
"Workin' late agin, eh Mr. Jenkins?"

Gabriel glanced up, peering through the dark stretch of space that seperated his desk from the office door. Jerome the mail courier was visably shaken by his glistening predatory eyes shining in the lamplight. With calculated measure, he set down his pen.

"What can I do for you?" he responded coldly, folding his hands neatly in front of him.

"Er....package came for ya..." the lacky stuttered, cluttering nervously across the carpet, his mail cart in tow. For a moment, his upper torso disappeared within the belly of the cart before he reappeared with a large rectangular CAPs package. Gabriel caught a fleeting glance at the name written across the side.

'Attention of: Christopher Jenkins'

The pretense had been effective thus far. Ever since the attack on his business, Gabriel had re-evaluated his corporate strategy. It had been painfully apparent that he had been a fool in setting himself up as the acting chairman of the corporation. Several bottles of brandy and a long night of contemplation were required before he realized just how gravely he was putting himself in danger, not to mention the Masquerade.

His nights had changed, the wand of power had been cast aside, at least that's how it appeared. His connections within the powerbase had strengthened, and he retained the ability to sway the company in direction he preferred....he had chosen to do so from a middle management position.

Few questioned him, hell few even dared look his way! His powers of presence served him well on the corporate battlefield and he weilded them like a waraxe. Intimidation oozed from his very being. Although they did not realize they were doing it, men were moving to the other side of the hall as he walked down it, and women suddenly found something to do in the opposite direction he was approaching from.

Jerome cracked a dim smile as he set the box down next to Gabriel's desk. He nodded, satisfied in his work and perhaps seeking some degree of recognition from Gabriel himself. Gabriel had no such intention.

"Is that all?" he asked, his voice low and aggressive.

"Uh...yeah...well I'll just..." Jerome said, his fantasy dashed into a thousand worthless pieces. SLowly he began moving backwards.

"Be leaving?" Gabriel finished for him and returned to his work. He could hear the imbecile's defeated sigh as he turned and left the room. Alone at last, the Ventrue inspected the package. It appeared to be from Bats. Several nights previous, at a rendevous at Elysium, she had requested a strange favor from him. Apparently she still had some feelings for his new security advisor, Porter.

Gabriel had agreed to deliver whatever she wished, of course he would have to know just what he was delivering. Tearing the package open, he stared at the somewhat ragged weapon inside. It have obviously seen much action over the years, Porter would no doubt be pleased to have it back....

Edgar Allen Poe
Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:33 pm Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
((woohoo great post hun!