<  Ancient Tomes  ~  The Long, Dark Hallway of the Mind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:49 pm Reply with quote
-City of New Orleans. 1852-

Joeseph and Lilliane knelt before the altar, paying reverence to the goddess they loved. As they had done together each night since their handfasting. It had been nearly ten years, and their love for one another had never faltered. He watched her delicate hand, as it rose to light the red candle that marked their love for one another.

"Dear sacred mother, this day we thank thee for thy love... and the abundance thereof thou hasnt brought forth into this househ--"

There came a loud banging, and a crashing.. the front door fell into splinters, heavy footsteps as several men came rushing in. A deep, forceful voice filled the house.

"where are you, Heathens! Show yourselves!"

They ran for the back door, following their instincts, not looking back even to identify their pursuers. No time to think. They ran, hand in hand through the swampy landscape, for what seemed like miles, until they could no longer hear the heavy footsteps behind, or run further. They collapsed, exhausted, gasping for air. As his love lay on him sobbing, burying her head in his chest, He could see their home burning in the distance. The smoke rose, billowing into the night sky. He held her to him, sheilding her from the horror of it.

A million thoughts raced through his mind. How could this have happened? What were they to do now? He had read of the trials in salem.. those poor people didn't even share their faith.. and that had been nearly a century ago. Times had changed. Why this.. why now.. and how.. how.. how? The Questions echoed on his mind...

At least this clearing was well hidden, and held an aura of safety. They passed into slumber, ignoring the cold, exhausted from the events of the evening.

That morning, he awoke alone to the sound of a snake, wriggling through the grass. He dodged just in time to avoid a bite, jumping to his feet. Joeseph grabbed a nearby stick and used it to pick up the snake, flingining it unharmed into the bushes a safe distance away. His faith held a reverence for all living creatures, regardless of their danger.

Where was Lilliane, and why had he not awoken to her stirring? In nine years he had not come into the morning without a kiss. What could have happened? He waited there for her in the clearing nearly two hours, and broke down, crying.

Lilliane.. she was gone. The home they shared.. gone. His work.. burned. Safety, Security.. burned. Everything had been vanquishished in flames. and now this. now this. He could no longer cope. Her name echoed in his mind and he screamed.. screamed.

He wandered the streets of the city a broken man, shivering, alone. Every woman he saw was a reminder of her. Tears filled his eyes. He lost himself in drink, and trusted no one. He hid in an abandoned tomb by night, crying himself to sleep. He believed himself to be dead, without hope or comfort, hunted and betrayed. Out of habit, he prayed to the goddess, but little faith was left in him.

Lilliane.. Lilliane..

Weeks later, a woman appeared in his tomb. Her silver hair ran over her breasts like water, and her eyes shone a deep crystal blue. The opaque garment that flowed around her revealed a shadow of her figure. She seemed to glow with her own light. Joeseph raised his head from his tearsoaked hands in awe.

"Wherefore dost thou cry, child?" Her voice was as the sound of an angel.

"Mother?"

"That I can be... but first.. wherefore dost thou cry?"

"Lilliane.. Lilliane.."

"Thou lovest.. I can end thy pain. come to me."

As if motivated by an unseen force, Joeseph rose to his feet, and she embraced him in her arms. She was cold, like Ice, but he felt safe, secure.

"I shall comfort thee, my child.."

He rested his head upon her bosom, tears draining from his eyes.

"Would you like me to end your pain?"

"Yes.. Yes." He froze as she bit deep into the skin of his neck, life's blood draining from him. He collapsed to the cold stone floor, dying"

"Will you love me, and serve me?

"Yes, Mother..."

"Then drink" She cut her wrist open with a nail and offered it to him.

Joeseph tasted her vitae, then drank hungrily, and as his body shook, The blood cleared his mind, erasing everything. Lilliane's name vanished with his past, and became replaced with a faint, fading echo, and only the faint memories of her eyes, their warm fireplace, and the taste of her homemade tea remained.

The woman withdrew her wrist and held him tightly, laughing... "Thy madness is exquisite.."

[ This Message was edited by: Echoe on 2001-11-07 14:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Echoe on 2001-11-07 14:11 ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:54 pm Reply with quote
(( Is anybody reading this? ))

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:06 pm Reply with quote
((I am :P Great writing keep up the work... work... work. Its good stuff))

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:32 am Reply with quote
((hey, i read it. it's really good... :grin: way to go echoe, my man.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:05 am Reply with quote
((ok.. ill write more on it later then.. just wanted to see if I'd grabbed anyone's attention))

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 6:10 pm Reply with quote
She lead him deeper into the tomb, to a small concealed chamber. He looked around. his mind repeating the sound of every footstep, every rat scurry, the gnashing of every insect's teeth, like the slow rush of waves to to a distant shore. The woman smiled kindly. He clutched his head and screamed.

The Woman's eyes changed suddenly as she lashed out at him with a blow that sent him flying into a wall several yards away. His body made a crack in the cold stone behind him.

"THAT is thy MADNESS... CHILDE. And you WILL embrace it... Or be DAMNED by it!"

His mind echoed her her strong voice... DAMNED... DAMNED... damned... damned... damned... The sound of his mind would not stop. He Clutched his head again and screamed, the sound of his voice carrying inside his ears, drowning out everything else.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 6:17 pm Reply with quote
((haven't read it yet but i'm going to soon :smile:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 11:51 pm Reply with quote
User avatarCaitiffPosts: 16Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:18 am
((Keep writing, it's awesome!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 2:36 pm Reply with quote
((JiC you were wondering, my sire is a caregiver/oppressor, picture 1700s June Cleaver, gone postal.))

The new chile's screaming finally subsided. After a time, his ears stopped ringing.

His sire smiled warmly. "Now then. Didst thou releive thyself? Feelest thou better?"

"Better.. better.. better.." The childe nodded slowly.

"Good! Mine eyes have looked upon thy visage for some time... And in all these weeks I have not once heard thy name..."

For a moment, he childe gave a puzzled look. Her words seemed to run together. "Thy name... thy name.. name..."

She gave another warm smile. "I Am Lillith Downs.. and thou art?"

He searched his mind, but came up with nothing. "I.. I... d-dont know.. know.. no.. no..."

"Then I shall address thee as Echo. Echo."

"Echo.. echo.. echo.." Echoe grinned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:54 am Reply with quote
((-lol got to finish this thread too- I been so lazeee-))

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:51 am Reply with quote
User avatarUnknownPosts: 117Location: ChicagoJoined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:24 pm
((This char is still around as an NPC, just to let you know Echoe.... :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:22 pm Reply with quote
((Hey Summer, maybe you could write some parallell story on this thread? that mite be cool))

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:10 am Reply with quote
User avatarUnknownPosts: 117Location: ChicagoJoined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:24 pm
((such as?! God I'm brain dead... it's one in the morning and I have to be up in 5 hours for school... shitty... grr... i'll think when I have more brain cells.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:31 am Reply with quote
((geez echoe that was awesome :smile:

bravo, well done, bring on more!

I'm resenting not having read it sooner :/

~batty~

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:14 pm Reply with quote
(( Ok.. damn writers block ))

"Echo.. echo.. echoe.."

"Yes. Echoe. Its time we went for a litle walk.... something must be done tonight. I wish to play a little prank on some of our friends "

She left the tomb and walked towards a small house at the edge of town. "You knew these people, Echoe. Witch-Hunters." Echoe looked puzzled. "dont worry, they cant see you... have a closer look." He looked inside the window. The place was occupied by three men, each of large build. He could hear their voices.

"Any more news on the old witch, Carpenter?"

"No, Woods, nothing"

"And the two that escaped?"

"I saw him in town a few nights ago, drinking himself sick... No trace of the woman."

"We can take care of that later.. Well we may as well head for the next target.. Where is it Hammer?"

"Its another solitary, right at the edge of the swamp."

Echoe hung on the last word. "Swamp.. swamp.. swamp.."

Lillith grinned. "I know where it is..."