<  OOC  ~  An American's View on the Election

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:39 am Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
I can't wait till this is over. I'm exhausted with it. I study politics all day and write paper after paper on it. I really don't want to talk about it to people and debate anymore.

Pretty funny watching how polarized people are over this. Rich white guy #1 vs. Rich white guy #2. I'm glad I voted...and all this hypocritical bullsh*t can finally come to an end.

My girlfriend's brother is positively ENRAGED that Bush appears to winning at this point. He's furious and wholly convinced that Shrub is the complete downfall of this country. It's pretty funny how people make people the epitomy of evil.

"You watch James, we'll be attacked within the next 4 years. 1 for Bush, 0 for the people." I used to debate him, and try to get him to see it the way I do. But now I'm just tired. Frankly, my life is so busy, I could care less who wins. I voted more out of my sense of duty as an American. I did vote Bush for reasons I won't try to explain to a primarily non-American MB, but I'm not anti-Kerry.

Thank God life can go back to normal....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:26 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
Somehow I think Affie's brother and I would get along ;)

My hit prediction is that *if* Shrub is re-elected, there will be a serious (if not successful) assassination attempt on his life. Now although that sounds like reason enough to vote Shrub, I'm rooting for Kerry. He's got three purple hearts, you know.

http://www.jibjab.com/
then click "This Land"

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:41 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
I did not vote as there was no point. I live in NY. It is demographically impossible for a Republican to carry the state. If there WAS a chance that my vote meant something I would have voted for Dubya just cuz Kerry has no convictions. I don't trust him to do anything other than serve his own interests. (Yes Yes, Bush/Cheney critics will shout about Halliburton from the mountain tops as an example of self serving, but I would politely point out that Cheney sold ALL of his stock in Halliburton, gave up his seat and his vote on the board, and severed all ties to the company before joining up with Dubya as his running mate before the 2000 election so that there would not even be the appearance of impropriety).

Dubya, on the other hand, he might mix up words, and might have made mistakes in how he prosecuted the war in Iraq, he might actually lead the US into unprecedented economic disasters, threats to national security, and offenses against Natural Law, but at least you can count on what he will do. If any of the afforementioned stuff occurs Mallory, the 3 cats, and I are going to Canada. Kerry.... god only knows what he'd do and how he'd react to anything.

I do have to admit that W Ketchup as the alternative to Heinz is a bit stupid.

Whether or not Kerry has 3 purple hearts and Bush was out wanking during Vietnam is irrelevant. The population will never REALLY know what happened back then, although those pictures of Kerry with Jane Fonda up in Hanoi are pretty annoying. Hmmmm, Neville Chamberlain syndrome.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Tis a good point Eve. Don't forget that in 20 years as a Senator John Kerry never sponsored ONE bill. He was on the Foreign Relations Committee and missed 60 % of the meetings. That just doesn't scream "President" to me. He's someone spurred on more by power than desire to lead.

But looking at the polls this morning, it seems that Bush has a good chance of winning. In fact here, in Virginia, they're proclaiming him as won already.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
All I can say is

God help us all.

How a Patriot could want such a power hungry, corrupt **** as Bush in charge of their country is beyond me.

Better the devil you know you say? Well that's all well and good, but you may very well have voted out the man who made America a respected nation again instead of its status as World-Bully.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
User avatar"Brujah"Posts: 62Location: Central FloridaJoined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:37 am
This election was probably the hardest election for voters in all of American history, simply because the two candidates were both equally false and inept at running the country. In my earnest opinion, the best solution would've been to have never elected Bush in the first place back in 2000, and instead have John McCain in atleast the Vice President position back then.

What America needs is someone who isn't filthy rich and born with a silver spoon in their mouth. America needs a down-to-earth American who cares for his/her country and doesn't want to further dilute it with the worst human invention ever: Politics. However, the Presidental election for 2004 didn't have such a person to vote for. The closest Americans had to choose from was Nader, which I doubt anyone in their right mind would've voted for anyway.

Course, I could be completely wrong. Who knows, maybe with Bush's reelection, America might experience another Sept. 11, or maybe never see another again. Only time will tell. I just hope if the shit really does hit the fan, that New Zealand won't reject my request for their citizenship :wink:

May God be with us all, whom ever your God may be.

~Arcane

I feel the anger changing me!
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:27 pm Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
[quote:5bd8829868="Arcane"]I just hope if the shit really does hit the fan, that New Zealand won't reject my request for their citizenship :wink:

~Arcane[/quote:5bd8829868]

bbwwahahahahaaaaaaaa too funny!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:36 pm Reply with quote
User avatarConcealedPosts: 33Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:22 pm
It's not about Bush or Kerry it's about attitudes, policies and fear.

It's good for the powerful to keep everyone scared, lest all return to the terrible liberal attitudes of the time of Kennedy.

Another victory for the power of nightmares and neo-conservatism.

I had hoped Kerry would win and perhaps policies might change. It might have become less fashionable to feed the American people lies, propaganda and scary stories.

During the Cold War, the neo-conservatives made them the enemy. Fear the damn Ruskies. The CIA found NO threat there. The USSR had nothing. Nuclear Arms Limitation was a bitter blow to the neo-c's, but the CIA could find no evidence of the USSR breaking treaty. Accordingly, they made up stories of stuff the CIA couldn't detect. If we can't see it, well that means they've got stuff we can't find. How about a better idea... they haven't at all, what you see is what you get.

The breakup of the USSR was a bitter blow. The Neo-C's had to find a new enemy for the US to be scared of, so they made their former allies in the middle east the bad guys.

And made them mad... look what they did.

I see myself heading into rant mode, so I'll switch to stuff I can support with appropriate quotes and research. Here, however is a quote from leading neoconservative Robert Kagan, taken from his 2002 discourse on the differences between Europe and the US.

[quote:76666e7708]Europeans have a deep interest in devaluing and eventually eradicating the brutal laws of an anarchic, Hobbesian world where power is the ultimate determinant of national security and success.[/quote:76666e7708]
http://www.policyreview.org/JUN02/kagan.html

Well Hobbes (1588–1679) argues that the only way to secure civil society is through universal submission to the absolute authority of a sovereign.

As a European, I'm proud to oppose brutal dictatorships. Why does Kagan think this is because I am weak (read the whole thing, link above)?

He also wrote in 1998 to Clinton recommending war against Iraq and the removal of Saddam Hussein because he is a “hazard” to “a significant portion of the world's supply of oil.” Other signatories to the letter include (future) Defense Secretary Rumsfeld, Assistant Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, Assistant Secretary of State Richard Armitage, Undersecretaries of State John Bolton and Paula Dobriansky, presidential adviser for the Middle East Elliott Abrams, and Bush's special Iraq envoy Zalmay Khalilzad. (Source: January 26, 1998 Open Letter to Bill Clinton).

Clinton does heavily bomb Iraq in late 1998, but the bombing doesn't last long and its long-term effect is the break off of United Nations weapons inspections. [New York Times, 3/22/03]

How convenient for the neoconservatives. Get rid of those pesky inspections, which aren't actually finding anything and hey... we can do it again and say "If we can't find them, they must be just too well hidden." Hmm... I think we had that during the cold war, didn't we?

So let's not mess about here, this isn't about terrorists, it's about oil. The Iraq war is about oil, not weapons of mass paranoia.

But who am I kidding. Either I'm preaching to the converted or the unconvertable. Enough.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Nah... Iraq is about opening new markets for Walmart. Sam Walton is the real power in America. :roll:

Personally, Colin Powell woulda been the ideal president except that some white supremacist dickwads would probably assassinate him.

Neo-Conservatism does not exist. It is utter nonsense made up by revisionist historians pissed off that the Great Experiment started by John Winthrop and his buddies has stood the test of time and is working. We are merely reaching the cusp of the 4th Great Awakening. Never fear, the pendulum will swing the other way, the United Europe will extend its hegemony across the globe and then THEY will be seen as the Great Beast 666.

/flame on

Last edited by Eveshka on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 167Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:48 am
Well this year I followed how the American's elections were going, simply because since Bush's last election back in 2000, it affected nearly the whole planet.

I may not be an American but I was hoping that Kerry would win, he may not have entirely the experience to govern such a large country, but at least he was not a war fanatic like the other one.

Now that he seemingly have the lead, I'm just HOPING he learned from his mistakes and won't repeat any of em.