<  International  ~  A Tale of Two Graves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
User avatarBone FlowerPosts: 0Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:40 am
Respected of Ancestresses,

I know this follows quickly on the heels of the report I have already sent to you but the Age of Darkness progresses more swiftly than we anticipated and I have much to tell.

I believe I have discovered the one I previously sought and fear I have met a very dangerous Kin-jin. A Crane of great power and I am almost sure that he holds the dragon's heart but have no proof...as yet. My P'o urges me to trust him but my Hun cautions against it and so I wait yet again, feeling my way about this mystifying land. Allow me to limn the picture of events and you will see for yourself.

I asked of the departed and they were eager to spill their secrets and wisdom, so long have they been neglected. One told me of a palace that lay not far from this crossroad and of a gathering of gaijin, wherein I might find news of the man I sought. I gave extra payment in honor of this narration and the spirit was well pleased. I am sure the shades will favor me again should I need further assistance.

I journeyed to this house and skirted its boundaries, partially to absorb it's magnificence and partially to ascertain its impregnability. My findings were as I expected; in protection they are not fools but yet they have chinks in their armor. I will keep those imperfections in mind, should there be need for me to take advantage of them later.

I bided my time until I saw a sign from heaven, then I entered, shaking the dust from my person so that I would not soil the interior. Passing two guards who made no move to stop me, I followed the sound of voices until I found the main audience chamber. It was crowded with many who sought comfort from an ever increasing distress in their world (of this I will speak later). The imbalance of each was as a chill of winter's breath, easy to see but hard to withstand.

I passed through them, all giving way as if I parted the waters of a stream, watching me with questioning eyes. As I approached the seat of governance I saw the Diamyo seated at a table. She sat wrapped in majesty, a tangible cloak of such that appeared settled on her shoulders, a faint trace of worry between her brows. I stepped forward, announcing myself and requested permission to stay in the area. She examined me thoroughly and gave me a tentative welcome, asking for a name and a "clan".

While I rested under her regard, I spied a man sitting in the shadows at her back. I should have realized that every court has its watcher. I glanced at him briefly and turned my attention back to the ancestress, as I gave my name and explained my mission as an ambassador from the Middle Kingdom. She gave her name and titled herself a "Prince".

I, in turn, gave her full court honors, kow-towing three times as is the custom, but it appears I must have missed something for she dismissed me quickly in to the hands of her consort, the Shadowed Man, who came forward to claim me. It was then I noticed [b:9aa0d26bc5]he[/b:9aa0d26bc5] was the one whom I sought. He beckoned and I accompanied him to an alcove where he offered me a taste of Chi. As I was "black-cycled", I declined politely.

He questioned me at great length and we spoke of my wanderings and the reason for my being in this country called "France". His French, the langauge that is spoken here, is certainly as flawless as that of the court's ruler and much better than my own. It was then I found him to be a magician of great skill and knowledge for he laid a spell upon me to help my understanding. I nodded my thanks and, indeed, I was able to understand more than I had before but this only made me more wary of him.

Let me write, now, of the Shadowed One, named Julius, for that is what he has bidden me to call him. For all that he appears young, there is much about him that speaks of great age. He is pleasant to look at with brown hair and eyes but is very tall, even for the people of this land. He wears his hair pulled behind and bound with a tie, much like my grandfather did but on him, it looks better. His western clothes are a cut above the normal and if I didn't know any better, I'd have said he shops at Jimmy Tongs over on Half Moon street.

But for all that I can chuckle over this, it is dangerous to underestimate him. His power is visible in tiny flashes of those comforting orbs and he wields power carelessly and recklessly, as all kin-jin sorcerers tend to do. My P'o is drawn, like the moth to the flame, to put all care in him and it was all I could do to maintain my control. Had I not the cold mind, I think I would have enslaved myself to him for the rest of my existence.

[i:9aa0d26bc5]And[/i:9aa0d26bc5], I have seen his anger. Something I said in my ignorance (I know not what it was), made him angry and he shouted at me. I withdrew immediately and kow-towed to him, as I had done his consort. This seemed to further infuriate him and he turned his temper on those who stared at our humiliation. I apologized profusely and asked guidance for my error. He proceeded to lecture me on the proper attitude towards elders. I was hard put not to laugh for I had received this at your knees..... more than once.

But in the end I learned one other thing. He is of the type of vampire we fear the most in the East. Tremere. Or, rather, he was once of this kin-jin sect. He spoke of a sundering between himself and his ruling council and that in associating myself with their court, it was possible that I, too, could be held in even more contempt. It matters not to me as I deem the risk worth the effort in finding the stolen heart but I will tread carefully with this Westerner.

This Julius has charged me with learning his people's ways and invited me back to the "chateau" (the word for the palace in their language) so I will return there and learn. Also, I will consult the spirits for even more wisdom and thus add to my rapidly expanding store of knowledge. "Prince" Eveska offered me a place, which I will certainly look into, once I find it, but I will continue to remain near the dragon's nest. I did, after all, promise my charges that I would return.

One thing I will make note of before I leave you with all I have put down here. There is a disturbance here that is as much of a mystery as that of the stolen Chi. It does not affect me but it's widespread effect is being felt in the seesaw of the Yin and Yang of "Touraine". It is definitely troubling to those who live here and I am convinced that it maybe linked to my own quest. Perhaps, in assisting in the solving of [i:9aa0d26bc5]this[/i:9aa0d26bc5] riddle, I may find the answers to my own.

Gin-ko World Walker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
As often happened, the smallest things were of the highest significance, but tended to take a while before filtering through the workings of Julius' brain. In the same way that he too on the big projects, so he tended to ignore the seemingly insignificant and this is what had happened, as usual.

He sat, this night, in his study, mulling over the events of the past three nights. The twin graves, with the supply of [i:ab5dd027c7]vis[/i:ab5dd027c7]. The malady which had struck into the kine, possessing them to states of negative emotion and unusual actions. The way that affliction had passed beyond kine, into kindred, giving them their own unique problems and finally, the arrival of that strange asian woman. Part kindred, part not. Something beyond even his vast experience.

[i:ab5dd027c7]"You could learn."[/i:ab5dd027c7]

Julius blinked. He was sure he had heard a voice, but the room was empty. It must have been his imagination, leafing through books and staring at the screen of his laptop for hours on end had made him weary. His troubles were not limited to the metaphysical world either. The workers on his building site had decided to walk out, demanding increased pay and longer breaks, it seemed the "stress" of working near a cemetary meant special terms were required. He reread the letter the union rep had sent him and shook his head, massaging his temples in a vain attempt to relieve the headache he could feel brewing.

[i:ab5dd027c7]Chuckle[/i:ab5dd027c7]

Julius turned with a start, he'd heard something again. Oh man, this headache was going to be a doozy, an epic migraine with accompanying auditory...

Julius paused in his line of thought. Vampires don't get migraines. Abruptly, he sneezed. At once the developing migraine vanished. Vampires don't sneeze. Julius turned back to the laptop, eyebrow raised and began a new search.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Like the Black Egg, the marble floor I had chosen, for my place to watch and listen, reflected a cold and impenetrable exterior but my mind was a seething morass of questions that had no answers. Cold mind, in this place, and in this land, was a difficult state to achieve.

Suddenly, a flower in the garden of my thoughts, a [i:cfd5adff39]den[/i:cfd5adff39], bloomed and I was made aware that in my homeland, to attain it would be but a shadow of what I am capable of. But here, it would be worthy of a higher step upon my dharmic path. I paused to savor the moment but then tucked it away. I had much more to contemplate.

Besides the tasks I had set myself, here, I had discovered something else of import and I was unsure what this meant in the turning of the Wheel. I had hoped to impart this news to the Shadow Man, Julius, but hadn't seen him in the nights I had spent in my chosen space of the audience chamber.

Julius had charged me to learn what I could of the "Kindred" who dwelt here and I had made much progress. Many of those who were permanent court attendees, and those who sought refuge here, were eager to do something besides discuss the puzzle of their persistent maladies. I avoided the officials, yet left myself open to the lower elites. Those were eager to have someone to vent their superiority upon.

It took but one night for some to descend upon me, once they noticed me meditating in my alcove. First it was only one but that one attracted two more and then a score of them came to see what new bird they had caught. It became a game to see which of them could get me to understand how the structure of their society was framed and they delighted in my quickness.

What shocked me the most of all, was the unwavering patience of the "Nosferatu", the ones I had perceived as [i:cfd5adff39]akuma[/i:cfd5adff39]. It was as the magician had said, they wear their curse on the outside, for all to see, and hide their real essence within. And yet, I had more surprises in store for me, for I was given a rather concise and easily understood history into what make a Kin-jin.

It is in the origins that Kuei-jin and Kindred differ. For us, the Second Breath is the ability to claw our way back from a violent end to the land of the living and to fulfill our unfinished Dharma's. For them, the Embrace is a privileged birth that dooms them and denies them a permanent place on the Wheel of Ages. Forever imbalanced and cursed. Nor do they suffer the embarrassment of the Chih-mei.

We, the Eastern vampires, have no "clans" but the Kindred have as many as the stars in the sky. I only learned of the brightest ones: Toreador, Gangrel, Ventrue, Lasombra, Brujah, Cappadocian, Malkavian, Tzimisce, Nosferatu, Ravnos, Assamite and, of course, Tremere. The best of the best. Now I understood, in part, what made the wizards so dangerous.

But there was one sect hinted at that came the closest to what we are and it appalled me to find that it was possible they served the Yama Kings in full. For theirs was said to be the blackest of "clans", The Sabbat. A sect made up of all clans although some were in rulership over the others. And there was nothing they wouldn't consider doing if it was to their advantage.

I had an answer, of sorts, for Prince Eve's beloved. He had asked what clan I belonged to and the nearest I could come to was that of Bone Flower, in their language, even though it is more a state of mind and being that that of belonging to a "bloodline". Still, it would suffice for those not born into the culture.

The amusement of the new person in court had palled by the third night. I had answered as many questions as I could and they had left me to chew on what they had discovered. I doubted most of them would be back for more but I had noted a handful that were honestly trying to fathom one such as I. I did, however, leave many with the feeling that I was no threat to their position within the "Elysium". Such was the designator of this House.

My own minor rentinue had long since deserted me and the hour of dawn was not far off. I was soon to arise and return to my private haven when the Tremere, Julius, entered the chamber. I watched as he approached those who'd delayed their departure, speaking quiet words of reassurance and encouragement. Promising nothing but giving the impression of much. I knew then, that he'd yet to find out what caused the unrest that grew daily in the domain.

He stood and watched as the last of them left, lighter of mein and mind, his face a study in pensiveness. I watched from my own penumbra as he fingered his lower lip, lost in deep contemplation. Once he heaved a sigh as if the weights on his shouders were that of the entire world. I pitied the load he'd burdened himself with but made no move to draw his attention.

He turned away to retreat through the passage he'd entered by when he stopped and turned back, his eyes searching for something. I knew the moment he found me by a sudden flash of of astonishment his eyes. Yet, his step never faltered as he approached me. I gave him points for that and stood to greet him, knowing that it irritated him for me to make obeisance to him.

[i:cfd5adff39]"I have something you might wish to hear, Consort Julius."[/i:cfd5adff39] I kept my eyes on the floor, taking time to bury myself deeper in the cold mind and to project only that of a servant's demeanor. There was a pregnant pause and I peeped up under my lashes to see what his reaction was. He was tight-lipped with annoyance, again, and I glanced back down, wondering what wrong I had inadvertently committed.....again. I waited for his anger to fall on my head.

It surprised me to hear him say, [i:cfd5adff39]"You're command of our language has improved quite a bit."[/i:cfd5adff39] I dared to raise my face to his and caught a look of speculation that had replaced the irritation. [i:cfd5adff39]"And it's [b:cfd5adff39]just[/b:cfd5adff39] Julius, Gin-ko."[/i:cfd5adff39] The words flowed in long suffering tones. [i:cfd5adff39]"Please try to remember."[/i:cfd5adff39] I bowed my acknowledgement of his rebuke, but only from the waist. His face cleared, like a cloud passing over the face of the moon, and he commanded me, [i:cfd5adff39]"What is it that you have for me?"[/i:cfd5adff39]

[i:cfd5adff39]"I have been told of a struggle that is being waged on the Plane of Essences. The spirits speak of a harvesting of souls that are being taken to the halls of the Yama Kings; many more than should be. Evil has ascendency there and soon it will bleed into the Great Cycle, perhaps causing a premature turning of the Wheel. Thus bringing us closer to the Age of Darkness, the Sixth Age. This is dire news and I know not how to deal with it."[/i:cfd5adff39]

My P'o fought to send me running, to cower in the keeping of this man's hands but I caged it in a corner of my being. I would not allow it control of me nor to banish my efforts to remain calm and analytical. Still, what I had learned was beyond my ability to deal with and I was still young enough to think I could handle this and prove myself. But I'd studied at the feet of many bodhisattvas to realize that only a fool will rush ahead foolishly or to turn away any tool that is useful.

[i:cfd5adff39]"Julius-sama, I know how to speak with the dead, walk the planes, render the guardians their payment but I have no idea how to balance this wrong. I would be honored to have any aid you would accord me. And I would also understand were you to decline my request."[/i:cfd5adff39] I bowed, again from the waist, and returned my eyes to the pattern beneath my feet, listening for his words.

Last edited by Gin-ko World Walker on Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Pierre was a particularly offensive individual. The spots on his face were not so much the result of any particular skin complaint, but rather the product of a bad diet, coupled with a less than fastidious bathing regime. His bad breath and greasy hair similarly reflected his grubby nature.

Even given all of that, Pierre might have been bearable, but sadly, the person on the inside was a reflection of the person on the outside. During his childhood, he had been the one to pull legs off flies and shoot frogs with his catapult. He totally lacked in social graces, secure in the belief that the world both revolved around him and owed him a living. As a result, he lived alone, unemployed and shunned by those around him. Not that he cared, after all, he was better than everyone else, why should he lower himself to their level. Or so he told himself, but in truth his heart was filled with bitterness, loneliness and a growing hatred of the world around him.

Accordingly, when the rather dashing gentleman knocked on his door, with promises of a new life, power, women, money and status he naturally assumed it was about time, annoyed only that the gentleman hadn't come calling sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:46 pm Reply with quote
That damnable oriental woman, her sneeringly obsequious attitude, her oh so perfect manners and words. The way she carried herself with that air of complete superiority. He had sent balls of abysmal flame to burn away miscreants for less.

Julius picked up a book and hurled it across the room in his rage, his brown eyes becoming consumed by the flames that burnt within. The decision was made, she had to go. He would deal with her now and have an end to her smug self-satisfied attitude.

[i:b3fd545177]Laughter[/i:b3fd545177]

Julius sneezed soundly and repeatedly.

At once his eyes were their normal colour. Why had he become so angry with Gin-ko? He had left her politely enough, asking her to keep an eye on the spirits she spoke of and simply to keep him informed for now. She had bowed respectfully and left. Nothing more.

[i:b3fd545177]"Would you learn more of her, brother?"[/i:b3fd545177] Said a voice from behind him.

Julius turned abruptly. A dark haired man stood behind him. He was slim, with piercing blue eyes, dark hair and a goatee. He was also dressed rather strangely, rather like some of the oldest Tremere Julius had met in the past, robes, mage robes of red, festooned with licking tongues of embroidered gold flame.

[i:b3fd545177]"And you would be?"[/i:b3fd545177] Asked Julius in tones of someone who isn't actually terribly impressed.

The figure smiled and continued in Hermetic Latin [i:b3fd545177]"Desardis."[/i:b3fd545177] And indicating the robes he wore. [i:b3fd545177]"Of House Flambeau."[/i:b3fd545177]

[i:b3fd545177]"Then we are scarcely brothers, for I am of no House but my own and the lineage you claim is long since dead."[/i:b3fd545177] Answered Julius, equally fluent in the ancient tongue.

Desardis grinned. [i:b3fd545177]"We are two of a kind, Julius. Perhaps the only living magi who can still work the magic in the old ways."[/i:b3fd545177] For emphasis the strange wizard summoned a small flame in the palm of his hand, weaving his spell with a skill equal to Julius' own. [i:b3fd545177]"I know what you plan. You wish to bring the old ways back in this land. A school for magi."[/i:b3fd545177]

Julius nodded. [i:b3fd545177]"Throughout all the ages of time, users of magic have guarded their knowledge jealously, passing it on to one or perhaps two favoured apprentices. Even House Tremere with it's new ways. I plan for that to change. It will take time, but I have all the time in the world. Those with talent will be taught."[/i:b3fd545177]

Desardis nodded. [i:b3fd545177]"And I will help you teach them, brother. I will return soon."[/i:b3fd545177]

With a flash, Desardis vanished.

Julius pursed his lips. Another magus, skilled in the ancient hermetic arts would be a big help. In fact, he thought, as he leant back in his chair, perhaps he could give the lions share of the tutoring to this Desardis. That would be ideal, Desardis could do the work, whilst Julius followed loftier persuits, or maybe even took a well deserved holiday. Somewhere warm.

Julius sneezed and blinked. What was he thinking, there was much work to be done and who was this Desardis fellow anyway? This whole situation was turning distinctly strange.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Pierre leant back in the executive leather chair, sitting behind the mahagony desk in his new waterfront studio. Not that he noticed the sparkling sunlight on the water, nor the spectacular view beyond the river. Rather, his horrid piggy eyes were moving up and down the trim body of the sensual blonde who sat on the corner of the desk, swinging her long legs provocatively. His hand twitched as his eyes roamed, unsure if they should be trying to look up her skirt or down her blouse.

[i:95f3b0cd68]"[b:95f3b0cd68]If[/b:95f3b0cd68] I could have your attention for just a moment."[/i:95f3b0cd68] Said the dashing gentlemen from the other side of the desk. [i:95f3b0cd68]"There are certain formalities which must be completed."[/i:95f3b0cd68]

Pierre looked irritated but turned to face the man. [i:95f3b0cd68]"You wanted me to sign something."[/i:95f3b0cd68]

The man nodded. [i:95f3b0cd68]"Yes, this is a standard contract. In return for certain considerations, my organization will ensure your continued happiness and well being."[/i:95f3b0cd68]

[i:95f3b0cd68]"What kind of considerations?"[/i:95f3b0cd68] Asked Pierre, concerned about having to do any kind of real work. His eyes made their decision and focused on the boundary of short skirt and thigh. The girl crossed her legs, flashing just a hint of stocking top and suspender, then licked her lips. Pierre flushed and reached for the contract and a pen.

[i:95f3b0cd68]"The usual, as I say. This contract is very standard. Occasional pieces of work for my organization. Oh..."[/i:95f3b0cd68] The man smiled. [i:95f3b0cd68]"...and of course, on completion of the contract. Your soul."[/i:95f3b0cd68]

The girl leaned forward, allowing a view of a firm and ample cleavage. Pierre's hand began to twitch again. [i:95f3b0cd68]"Yes, yes... whatever."[/i:95f3b0cd68] He replied, signing his name to the document in front of him.

The man stroked his distinctive goatee and nodded, folding the document and putting it in his pocket. [i:95f3b0cd68]"Then I declare the Pact of Ashes in force between us."[/i:95f3b0cd68] Desardis said, somewhat formally, before standing to leave. [i:95f3b0cd68]"Enjoy yourself..."[/i:95f3b0cd68] He added, as the girl slid into Pierre's lap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Eveshka stood in the middle of an elaborate fencing salle decked out in a risque ensemble of leather and velvet that revealed rather a lot of her perfect body. She had two "dry" weapons in her hand, a blunted rapier and a blunted main gauche of the exact weight and balance as her "live" weapons... her enchanted weapons that drove fear into the hearts of whomever tasted their steel. A lovely blond Toreador female, for most of her realm still considered themselves Toreador, faced her in an equally risque and revealing outfit. The two moved fluidly and beautifully as if they were dancing rather than fighting.

"Hit," said the blond as Eve retracted her main gauche, and standing back up from a rather theatrical split, after lightly touching the blond's belly with its point.

One of the double doors opened up at the far end of the salle and Montcalm, her Seneschal, strode into the room.

"Forgive the intrusion my Lady," he said.

"It's ok, what is wrong?" asked Eve.

Montcalm looked a bit reluctant to tell her. But he managed to say it in a tactful way.

"It's your Consort, My Lady. Many of the younger subjects continue to voice complaints that he is drawing the attention of something particularly vile into the realm."

Eveshka nodded. This was not the first, or even second, or even tenth complaint she had heard about this. She herself had started to feel something different about her beloved Touraine. It just seemed darker. "Fucking Hogwarts," she muttered and then looked up at Montcalm. "Very well, I will speak to him."

[i:8311b34504] Two nights later [/i:8311b34504]

Julius came home after doing, well, Eve hadn't the faintest idea WHAT he had been up to. Come to think of it, she had no idea what he'd been up to for a long while now. That evening Julius got the distinct impression something was bugging her.

"Oh Christ," he said as he came into their shared, normally palatial, bed chamber. There were posters covering nearly every inch of the walls depicting various scenes from the Harry Potter books and movies. Eve sat in a highbacked chair in front of the fireplace which was stoked to capacity and blazing. Julius came around in front of her and was about to ask "What's wrong?" when he saw her and tried to stifle a laugh. He failed miserably. She had on purple sweat pants, a black hat emblazoned with the word, "Quidditch," and a sweat shirt of Green and Silver with the word ,"Slytherin," embroidered into the front. She merely cocked an eyebrow. Her sea blue eyes that normally looked on Julius with love, lust, compassion and other assorted positive emotions flashed angrily.

"What? You don't like it?" asked Eve in a falsely sweet and girlish voice. "I thought, that seeing as I cannot seem to run my domain with you doing whatever it is you are doing with the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I would give it all up and be the dutiful house-wife and support you 111%.

Julius merely closed his eyes and sat down heavily into one of the other highbacked chairs. He placed his head into his hands and rubbed his eyes. Eve merely looked at him with her head cocked to one side, a sarcastic smile playing across her face.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
There comes a time in every wizard's life where he must take a moment and reflect upon recent events. Unless your name happened to be Julius Darrant, in which case it seemed that practically every day required such moments. Patience, such a life taught. With eternity in which to achieve one's goals a certain pragmatism towards the problems of the moment became, increasingly, an asset to one's existance.

Of course the whole "Hogwarts" debate had ended in a blazing row. Eveshka had actually paled when Julius reached the height of his anger, a rage he had never experienced when dealing with his true love and soul mate. The fires had come unbidden to his eyes and for the briefest of moments she had actually considered he might casually toast her like a shish kebab. Julius had then collapsed in a massive fit of sneezing which had left him convulsing upon the floor as though he were having a seizure and when he was done, such anguished remorse at his actions that all she could do was to comfort him, reassured by his promises to put aside, at least for the moment, his plans for a school of magic. Rather, he would stand by her side and help pull the realm back into some sense of order. Nevertheless, their lovemaking that night was muted, as if in some small way they had drawn slightly apart and were feeling their way back to a level of normality.

---

Pierre, that suave new sophisticate, left the office of the department of works with a small smile upon his face. Quite why Desardis had wanted that plot of land he wasn't sure - but Mr Bribe had created certain descrepancies in the paperwork which meant that Darrant Industries did not, in fact, hold title to the former parkland. Oddly enough, the workers who had up until recently given Julius such a hard time were now more than happy to work for him at very reasonable rates, all provided by Desardis' strange backers.

[i:c7795d8d3d]"I plan to open a school of wizardry, young man."[/i:c7795d8d3d] Said Desardis, stroking his goatee. [i:c7795d8d3d]"And you will be my first apprentice."[/i:c7795d8d3d]

[i:c7795d8d3d]"Magic?"[/i:c7795d8d3d] Scoffed Pierre, his new suit, fine car and thick wallet failing to provide much in the area of social graces. [i:c7795d8d3d]"You mean like sawing chicks in half and stuff."[/i:c7795d8d3d]

[i:c7795d8d3d]"Oh no..."[/i:c7795d8d3d] Replied Desardis, suddenly deadly serious. [i:c7795d8d3d]"I mean real magic. True power, the kind granted to those favoured by my organization."[/i:c7795d8d3d] The wizard grinned widely, flashing a set of perfect teeth. [i:c7795d8d3d]"Show him."[/i:c7795d8d3d] He said, clicking his fingers.

Pierre's eyes grew wide and fear - true, desperate and inescapable fear flowed across his features. A dark stain appeared down the leg of his trousers and liquid pooled upon the floor at his feet.

Desardis threw back his head laughing and it seemed as though his laughter filled the whole world.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The failure on the part of the Shadowed One to take decisive action regarding the unrest in the spirit and the material worlds was........disconcerting. From what I had learned from my teachers, he was THE person to see to the realm's many problems and the fact that he seemed distracted and uninclined to take my news seriously, disappointed me. I was coming to regard him as a sort of [i:58cc704f69]Kindred[/i:58cc704f69] bodhisattva, the more I learned about him.

Perhaps it was time to do some investigating of my own. After all, If "I" could put on a mask of umassuming social meekness, why not the mage as well. He could be dispensing largesse on the one hand and on the other, stealing all blind in a bid for power. I had managed to locate [i:58cc704f69]where[/i:58cc704f69] the dragon's heart had gone to ground, and was content to leave it alone, for the moment. Now it was time to find out more about my host and for this, I had to rely on my own skills and abilities.

I chose a night on which the audience in the "chateau" was at it's busiest, which wasn't hard to do, given the chaos growing on the mortal plane, much of it bleeding over into the deepest recesses of the night. I left ahead of the morning's exodus and faded into the lightening shadows before circling back to a deserted side of the palace.

Disrobing and leaving my garments in a small heap alongside the weathered outer wall, I flowed into a sitting position, on a thin blanket of late April snow, and began a chanted whisper, drawing on the Black Chi side of my soul. Once enough had pooled, I turned it inward, infusing it into my blood and undead flesh.

Like the crystalline carpet beneath me, I became a reflection of the senses, and embraced the icy umbra of the White Tiger Corpse as my body faded from view. I immediately stood and padded, noiselessly, back to the entrance, just as the outward stream of bodies thinned. More than one departee made some remark about the chill of unpredictable weather as I slipped passed them. I smiled at the thought that inspite of their vaunted [i:58cc704f69]disciplines[/i:58cc704f69], they were unable to detect my presence beyond a shiver up their collective spines.

I need to be swift for I only had so much Yin to spend, therefore, I passed quickly through the audience chamber to a passageway I had seen the sorcerer use frequently. But before I could put one transparent, soundless foot to the vacant corridor, Julius's personal servant came hurrying toward me and onto my pathway. I stepped aside, allowing him his way, then followed, knowing the heavens had smiled on this endeavor as he guided me to my goal.

The menial stopped before an unassuming door and knocked. From within came the wizard's voice and the lackey then stepped from my sight through the portal, whereupon the entrance closed. I had no idea how long it would be before the man would emerge from the private quarters and I was quite aware, through the tall, open windows on both sides, that false dawn had come. The sun was not far behind.

The inner walls of the [i:58cc704f69]chateau[/i:58cc704f69] were enough to keep daylight from me, as long as I kept to shadows, and I rejoiced in the differences between Kuei-jin and Kin-jin. For [b:58cc704f69]they[/b:58cc704f69] could not safely bear the touch of those benevolent rays, whereas I could walk in them, if only for a small space of time.

Yet I would not tempt my fate for frivolous reasons. Wisely, I protected myself behind a shadowed cover of a decorative screen that enhanced a low slung couch. For my purposes, it was in a corner next to the main chamber, well away from the windows and the crimson carpet that graced the middle of the floor

I had expended a lot of my precious reservoir of chi, in my vigil, before the door opened once more, and the valet emerged, laden with 3 garments destined, I assumed, for the best of cleaning care. I could tell, at this distance, they were silk endowed. He bid his master and the Consort a good day and promised the clothing would be ready by the evening, then closed the door quietly.

Surprisingly, he did not depart the area immediately. Instead he seated himself upon my divan and mopped at his brow. His demeanor was that of a man not quite himself and I hesitated only momentarily before coming to the realization that Chi Sight would tell me what I desired to know. I used more of my dwindling store and studied him intently.

I was not surprised to see a touch of defiled Chi within this human but the Yin was abundant and I could not turn down the feast laid before me, since I was able to filter out the contaminated energies. I would have to be careful in my feeding, that I, too, not succumb to the lure of the demon's embrace that darkened him.

I had been "black cycled" and my use of the darker energies of Yin to maintain that non-feeding state could only sustain me for so long If I did not make use of this opportunity, I would likely not make it out of this place undetected. It wouldn't take much to have the gruesome mess I would leave behind lead back to my presence in an area I had no reason to be in.

As I would need his cooperation, I began the ritual of the Bone Dance, stepping into view from behind my shelter. My misted form swayed to an internal chant as I manifested more solidly. I saw the moment he perceived me, his eyes rounding, but by then he could not look away, for he was caught. Before him was a naked, slender, pearl-skinned woman with flowing black hair that stirred to some unfelt breeze. Her slanted, almond-shaped eyes as brown as the aureola of her tilt-tipped breasts, promised many and varied delights.

His own vision became dazzled and took on a dreamy glaze as he leaned forward. I captured his face between my soft palms and bent past his cheek to whisper instructions in his ears His lids lowered downward and I returned to his mouth to brush my lips lighly over his, drawing only as much chi as I needed. I had no wish to deprive myself of possible future nourishment.

Languour overtook him within minutes and I gently I cradled his head to my chest as I urged him down upon the length of his chosen seat, with a suggestion that he'd not felt well, had stopped to rest and had fallen into a doze. Then I released him from my embrace to his continued slumber and stood up.

Swinging away from the recumbent figure, intent upon further exploration, I froze in place. There, on the wall next to the wizard's entryway, the Chi eddies curled and snaked towards each other. At first it was slow but within seconds it became a rushing inflow into the likeness of a sleeping eye. As I watched in horror, the orb began to awaken. I had but a blink in which to act.

Once again, I spent my hard won energies to reactivate my invisible state and bled away into my surroundings. I quickly moved back toward my original station but altered my course enough to put me at the edge of the last window along that wall. And not a moment too soon, for the Shadowed One emerged from his sanctuary. He strode purposefully into the corridor, only stopping upon seeing the recumbent figure of his minion. If I had hoped he was as vulnerable to the daylight as the rest of his bretheren, I was shaken to find that he was [b:58cc704f69]not![/b:58cc704f69]

He glanced back up and quickly scanned the area and upon spying nothing obviously out of the ordinary he turned back to the retainer. Awakening him brought him the information that the man had felt unwell and he'd sat down to catch his breath. The next thing he knew, the Julius was shaking him awake. The echoes of the erotic dream he hadn't mentioned caused some sweat to break out on his brow and this seemed to verify the man's general illness to the mage.

He was ordered to bedrest for the rest of the day and was requested to assign another to carry out the original task. My vessel left on unsteady legs, accompanied only as far as the next doorway by the perplexed sorcerer, who returned with a furrowed brow. He paused, in a patch of sunshine, between the last two windows before his chamber's entrance then turned to look in my direction. He raised an eyebrow and seemed, or so I thought, to be staring directly at me.

Having heard most of my younger existence, since my Second Breath, about the unknown powers of the Kin-jin wizards, I was sure I had underestimated this one. Dangerously so, even for me! Now, I waited for the storm of anger to fall on my head, if not some form of wizardly destruction, but, instead, he turned away and disappeared back into his private quarters.

I found I had been holding myself plastered to the wall behind my back and slowly peeled away from it, unwilling to alert that watching eye. Peeking around the screen, I beheld a return of it's somnolent aspect and thanked the gods for watching over me. I deemed it wise to depart without further exploration, my curiosity unappeased. I was disatisfied with my failure.

I found myself a seldom used closet, just off the main hall and, with use of the Spider's Blessing, anchored myself to the ceiling for some much needed rest within, before I could ventured out with the coming night. I would need to return to my haven, close to the sundered nest, to replenish all the chi I'd used. It was going to take a span of time so I would be unable to return to my court for a couple of days, however, I had my duty to the spirits of the place to keep me busy enough. I wondered what other news they would have for me..........

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Julius was brooding, a dark shadow permanently etched upon the face of the ageless magus. Everything had turned against him, it seemed. The town, once so pleased to have a giant like Darrant Industries building a plant in their midst, had withdrawn their support. Eveshka ran him ragged trying to make sense of and fix every slightest tiny problem as though he were the root cause of all the evils in the world. The crime rate continued to rise, as if the local population had suddenly lost all sense of common decency to their fellow men. All of which he could cope with - up to a point, but the new building that had sprung up on land which should have been his was a different story.

He had watched it's swift and painless construction with considerable patience, but the auras that now flowed from it were like a red rag to a bull. Someone was doing magic there, magical power flowed from that building like a river of energy and it seemed that he was the only one to be able to see it. Eveshka.. Eveshka had informed him that the affairs of mortals, most especially mages, were not their concern. Furthermore, she couldn't see any aura in a clearly very ordinary building and [i:965674e18c]"You're just jealous because you can't build your stupid Hogwarts and haven't you got something more important you should be doing."[/i:965674e18c]

Julius had just stared at her for a moment, then turned his back on her and locked himself in his study. He could hear her raging outside and demanding he open the door. a wave of his hand and a word of power ensured some peace in which he could concentrate.

An hour later, he had little to show for it. A piece of paper with some random scrawlings as his mind tried to make sense of the madness. Every time he got started, his thoughts seemed to wander, until he would sneeze, then his concentration would return.

[b:965674e18c]h'Atchoo![/b:965674e18c] Sneezed Julius for the umpteenth time. [i:965674e18c]"Bless me."[/i:965674e18c] He said wryly. Suddenly his mind was the clearest it had been all night. The sneezing was linked, clearly linked to the changes in his mind.

The spark now seized, filled him with energy. Still it seemed that something was trying to cloud his mind, but no longer was he sneezing, but rather sheer force of will and determination kept his thoughts flowing. Sneezing... strange mood swings... bless me...

His laptop arrived at the information he had been looking for..

[i:965674e18c]The sneeze itself was the expulsion of a demon or evil spirit which had taken up residence in a person. Therefore, although the "Bless you!" was again a protective charm meant to protect the sneezer from evil, in this version it was meant to ward off the re-entry of an evil spirit which a tormented soul had just rid itself of.[/i:965674e18c]

[i:965674e18c][b:965674e18c][u:965674e18c]"INTELLEGO VIM!"[/u:965674e18c][/b:965674e18c][/i:965674e18c] Julius, realising he'd been had, practically screamed the charm which would reveal demonic presence in the area. Twenty or thirty tiny imps suddenly appeared, flying through the air. Several of them had been clearly trying to invade Julius' head and backed off from the furious magus, whose eyes had begun to smoulder rather worryingly.

Julius raised his hand, to conjure power which would banish them from this plane for... well, he didn't really know, but to banish them, anyway. [i:965674e18c]"Perdo Vim, fuckers."[/i:965674e18c] He incanted.

Demons, he thought... Shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:40 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Eveshka sat in the mayor's office in the Hotel de Ville. It was about 2am.

"We simply cannot exist with Monsiour Darrant poluting the Loire, belching filth into the skies, and lowering the tax base of my constituency," he informed the Vampiress. He knew who she was, he knew that she really called the shots in Tours, he also knew that she didn't interfere with anything too often. For that he was greatful. But lately, a change had come over her. She was ever as beautiful as she always was, but she was darker somehow. Her eyes didn't flash as they once did. He attributed that to the supernatural stresses that 800 years of existence would place upon one's sense of wellbeing.

"Very well, I will withdraw my support from the new venture," said Eve. The mayor breathed a sigh of relief. It was an election year after all. "Julius will have to look elsewhere for a new site."

With that she got into her limo and drove off towards Luynes, just to the north west of Tours. There she would meet someone who could put Julius behind schedule but not make it look like she had anything to do with it. Even if it DID look like she had something to do with it, she had an iron clad alibi... at least as far as Julius was concerned. She didn't know she was actually doing ANYthing. Several hours later as the limo pulled back into her main palace near the Cathedral de St. Gatien, she had no memory of meeting with the Mayor, meeting with the contact in Luynes, or even thinking anything that could even remotely be construed as against Julius. Sure they'd had a few rows lately, but she would never actively try to thwart him. Would she? She didn't think so. Then why did she feel like she had just done something wrong?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:47 am Reply with quote
The ancestors crowded around my teak wood chest, like children awaiting the opening of a gift. Their ghostly fingers caressing the carved scene of a Chinese garden and the shy maidens that strolled there. The hanging willows in bas relief with their plumed birds of paradise bespoke a world they'd not even known existed. Their questions were many and varied and I struggled to answer as many of them as I could, wanting only to give them surcease from their growing terror for a short while.

I waded through their chilling forms to grasp the latch to raise the large chest's lid, their cold a steadying brace to the Cold Mind that I clung to. Their dire need of me meant it was time to put aside all but the basics of the situation and to act upon the answers. I pushed aside the tray that rested just atop the deep interior and looked upon my court wear, thinking hard on what would be best to attire myself in for the strongest effect. Long, tenuously misty arms drifted past me to poke and prod at what lay there. I allowed myself a small joy at their curiosity. Reaching in, the scent of the sandalwood lining enveloped me as I chose my clothing with an eye toward subtle persuasion as well as fortifying my own luck and omen aspects.

I reached through the spirit's ephemeral presence to pull forth the creamy cotton [i:5144a7c1e9]odori tabi's[/i:5144a7c1e9] and crimson silk brocaded [i:5144a7c1e9]zori's[/i:5144a7c1e9]. The ancestors sought to honor me by assisting in my disrobing, their insubstantial touches tentative at first, but at last my current garments fell away from me to the floor. I stooped to slip my feet into the socks and then each foot into the shoes, the copper bells embedded into the heels tinkling softly. A susurrus of delighted whispers, from my assistants, followed their fading echoes.

Dipping into the perfumed cavity, again, brought forth the ebony [i:5144a7c1e9]nagajugans[/i:5144a7c1e9] with it's cherimen [i:5144a7c1e9]juban[/i:5144a7c1e9] of embossed maple leaves and I chanted a ritual blessing as I donned each piece. An icy finger traced the same maple leaf tatooed on my right shoulder blade. I leaned into the touch, welcoming it's reminder of my duties to these seeming children.

Another foray drew forth my [i:5144a7c1e9]uchikake[/i:5144a7c1e9] of yellow cream silk, the fabric patterned with chrysanthemums of a hue darker than normal. One could almost say they were on the downside of their prime and just shy of their wilting. As was my privilege by right of Second Breath, [i:5144a7c1e9]I folded the left side over my body and then overlayed the right side atop it[/i:5144a7c1e9]. As I stood waiting, the [i:5144a7c1e9]obi sash[/i:5144a7c1e9] of blood red crimson slithered from it's position at the bottom of the coffer and wound itself four times around my tiny waist before the pre-made bow was tied in the back. The tasseled copper bells, like the ones in my shoes, depending from the bow's middle, jingled to the many playful taps they received from my entourage.

With the flow down my back of my hair in the maiden's unbound style of innocence, I was now armored with all the fortune symbols I could drape myself with and in as impressive a manner I could stage. It was my duty to take up my patron's plea and present it in the proper place and time to the right person. The magus power of the Touraine region, Julius Durrant.

It had been two weeks since my attempt at penetrating the Shadowed One's lair. I had appeared nearly every day in my accustomed space to meditate, watch and listen but, although the wizard visited frequently, neither did he send for me nor approach me. I did catch him, once, out of the corners of my eyes, watching me broodingly from his position behind his consort's throne. He might have suspected me, but I didn't think he knew, for sure, that I was what had disturbed him that day. And I gave him no confirmation, continuing my own habitual behaviors.

But it had all changed now, the situation becoming quite desperate, and even my honored ancestress in the Middle Kingdom had said she could no longer support me. The land was too foreign for her to advise the best course and that I should rely on my own knowledge and instincts. I was truly on my own and it was time to take matters into my own hand, even if the result was Final Death. I reached, tremblingly, for the comfort of the Cold Mind. I was not as sure as she, that I was ready for this.

My charges were dying, their essences sucked from them until there was nothing left. The rape of the Plane of Souls I had told Julius about had reached such proportions that it had finally broken through to the Material World and it was the weakest here that were now being harvested. Because the ancestors spirits were tied to the disturbed ground of Julius's new school, they seemed more vulnerable than most.

They had fought and struggled hard against the siphoning but the results were still the same. Those who'd gathered to help me prepare the presentation were the last, the survivors, but even they were merely "ghosts" of their former selves. It was a crime that they had come to this pass and I could not abandon them to their fate; it was time to "lay all the cards on the table", as westerners like to say.

The journey to the chateau would have entailed hours of walking in my attire, amidst the uncertain spring weather, arriving in a dirty and disheveled state. So I chose an alternate route I would not have ordinarily taken. I had dined well earlier, in preparation for this path, and so I tucked my sword into the [i:5144a7c1e9]obi's[/i:5144a7c1e9] sash and glided easily onto the Dragon's Tracks, fully prepared to pay the passage price demanded by it's guardians. Nor was I disappointed.

Three times I gave in blood to find myself just inside the forested area behind the palace. With the stars watching benignly, I made my way to the front door and bowed formally to the startled doormen, before stepping across the threshhold and hurrying forward to the audience chamber. The copper bells at my heels and my backside chimed an announcement of my presence and the assembled petitioners turned as one to watch my progress, astonishment writ clearly upon their faces, unsure of what to make of me now.

The Tremere sorceror had been sitting in his usual place in the shadows, his eyes fastened upon his Prince's seat, a frown upon his lips. The sudden hush, intruded upon by the music of my passage brought him from some dark reverie and had him latching his attention on my serene countenance. I was anything BUT serene. I was poised, ready to retreat should he turn on me in his anger at what I was about to say.

I came to a harmonic halt, just atop regent's dias and gracefully descended into a kneeling stance before throwing my upper body face-first to the floor, the strands of my loosened hair fanning out and around me, the tips of the tresses just brushing the toes of his shoes as if to clutch them in appeal. I tapped my forehead nine times to the floor as a last cry to the gods of fortune and began my entreaty.

"Julius, I have come before you with a request for aid and a plea to return that which has been taken. The spirits that I represent are those souls that are bound to the grounds of your property and who are being systematically destroyed by soul harvesters. They ask that you find who is at the core of this evil and to eliminate it. They also request the return of the Dragon's Heart, that they may grow strong again. In return, they are willing to be your eyes and ears in all things, the school's unseen guardians, should you agree. They were once of your world and are still under your provnence. Will you grant their request, or will you deny it?"

My "cards" now lay exposed to the wizard.

(OOC: For those who are interested in the meanings behind Kimono words, please visit this website for an informative and delightful look into the Japanese traditional wear: http://www.japanesekimono.com/kimono.htm . Batty let me know if this URL creates any problems and I will find a better way to include it here.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:17 am Reply with quote
Julius considered his words before speaking. [i:0f8a9d02a7]"Ginko, I have lived ten thousand years. I do not claim to understand Eastern mysticism, but I can assure you, I have never seen, nor heard of any such thing as a Dragon outside of unsubstantiated myth. I mean no disrespect, but I have no eggs of any kind."[/i:0f8a9d02a7]

He paused again, brow furrowed then looked around the room. Too much attention was being paid to the pair. Especially by Eveshka. She pretended not to be watching, but Julius knew only too well that she would be straining to hear the conversation. Her behaviour had become increasingly strange lately, as though she were not entirely the same person. Julius would worry about that later. He beckoned Ginko to a more secluded spot.

[i:0f8a9d02a7]"I appreciate,"[/i:0f8a9d02a7] Began Julius. [i:0f8a9d02a7]"your words and that you bring this to my attention. I rather believe that the problem your spirits experience has nothing to do with dragon eggs, but rather with the plague of demons which seems to have arrived in this locale."[/i:0f8a9d02a7]

Ginko considered this for a moment, the impertinence of the man, the disrespect. How dare he question her. Beneath her serene exterior, her blood began to boil with rage.

[i:0f8a9d02a7]"For example, there's one sitting on your shoulder and whispering in your ear right now."[/i:0f8a9d02a7] Said Julius. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handful of white crystals. [i:0f8a9d02a7]"Perhaps you would like to toss this over your shoulder. It's common salt, nothing more."[/i:0f8a9d02a7]

Gin-ko's eyes flashed darkly. Stupid kin-jin games, she would play along for now, but he must address her concerns and soon. Taking the salt she tossed it over her shoulder as instructed. Abruptly her emotions subsided, mayhap the wizard spoke truly after all.

Julius chuckled. [i:0f8a9d02a7]"Oh no, he didn't like that very much. The old remedies seem to work well. I'll accept your offer, Ginko. I think our cause is likely common cause. The spirits are probably in as much trouble as we are, existing in the midst of this plague. But it is demons we must fight, not dragons we must find. Deal with the demons and doubtless balance will be restored."[/i:0f8a9d02a7]