<  International  ~  Whispers of Shal Ka-Mense Redux

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:24 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
[b:cab1c27705]Eveshka[/b:cab1c27705]

[i:cab1c27705]On the Giza Plateau near the "dig"[/i:cab1c27705]

The camera rolled as Isaac and Daniel linked back up. For several nights now they had evaded the patrols, but it was getting more and more difficult. The entryway arch to the Tabernacle was getting larger and larger. It seemed to be nearly 20 ft tall and at least 10 ft wide. More people showed up each night at the dig. A fence had been erected around it. Dogs patrolled the fence by night. By day, camera crews were allowed distant viewing of it. From their vantage point they could begin to see what looked like a stairwell leading down into the sand further. Presumably the Tabernacle was still buried in thousands of years of sand.

[i:cab1c27705]In a hotel somewhere in the Heliopolis District of Cairo[/i:cab1c27705]

Several arabic looking people sat around a TV screen smiling smuggly at the grainy image of a surveillance camera looking at a large arch being uncovered in the desert.

"This is the feed that the infidels watch," asked a voice from the gloom.

"Yes, Excellency," responded a man wearing the typical headcloth of a Muslim. "It would seem that they are still unaware that we know of their presence."

[i:cab1c27705]In Gabriel's hotel room[/i:cab1c27705]

Gabriel spoke briefly with Daniel on a secure radio. "Yes, Sir," said Daniel. "They have not been alerted to our presence as of yet."

Gabriel responded, "Good work, stay there as long as possible and get as much hard information as you can. O'Brien out."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:25 pm Reply with quote
[b:1d637620c8]Kathy[/b:1d637620c8]

Kathy walked around her haven, she was bored and if she admitted to herself, she felt lonely for the first time in her life.

Yes she had her little crowd to see to her every need and cater to her whims but it wasn't the same, she missed him and no matter what she did he was there, all the time at the back of her mind.

She sat on her bed and curled up, pulling a large silk cushion to her and hugging it tightly.
Her slender fingers played idly with her auburn hair as she looked at the phone.

She could phone, but then again it had never been her way to chase someone, it was totally against her ways.

"damn it" she snarled as she got up from the bed and walked to the bedroom door, intent on going out .

something stopped her, she knew she could go out tonight and have a reasonable good time but it wouldn't make this feeling of loneliness leave her heart.

"Tyler? Is Gabriel there please, Its Miss Belvadere"
"hey there kay, just one mo and I'll get him for you"

Kathy shook her head and smiled as she heard Tyler.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:26 pm Reply with quote
[b:208be6278d]Gabriel[/b:208be6278d]

Well, Isaac and Daniel seemed to be progressing well enough. They were living up to their reputations well, avoiding guards and even the intrusive senses of the watch dogs. Camera Alpha, operated by Isaac, was by far getting the best photage. The boy was a natural daredevil, and was hovering close to the archway.

Gabriel stared at the screen once more, the gigantic stone threshold covered by the olive grain static of the screen. Workers toiled relentlessly at it's base, the job now too delicate to intrust to heavy machinary.

Camera Beta patrolled from behind the fences, making note of patrol routes and apparent authority figures. Gabriel had already dug up several of the names associated with the dig, a chore that now put in debt with a few local Nosferatu. This job was getting more and more expensive.

"Mr. O'Brien," Tyler's familiar voice was unrepentive as he interupted Gabriel's study of the surveillance. "Ms. Belvadere's on the phone for you."

Taken slightly aback, the Ventrue snatched the phone from the ghoul. Cupping the phone, he leaned in near Tyler's ear.

"What's the status on our task force?"

"I've set up a window for them to refuel in an Israeli facility. It's mainly used to military operations, so it should be secure." The smile on his face indicated that it had taken some maneuvering. Gabriel had to admit, he was impressed.

"How did you..." He trailed off, perhaps not wanting to know how much this was going to cost him. Such things could be dealt with at a later time. "Well done Tyler. Keep an eye on the boys for me would you?"

He slipped over to the closet to choose his wardrobe for tonight, disrobing as he did so. Kathy's impatient 'hurumphs' on the phone egging him on to protract the moment out as long as possible. When her objections became audible, he raised the cell phone to his ear, his childish inhibitions sated.

"Good evening Kay, you're up rather early aren't you?" the evening was only beginning in Cairo, she must've been restless.

"Gabriel," her voice stalled, "I miss you."

"Understandable." he replied shortly, flicking through the row of shirts that hung in the closet.

"Oh Goddamit Gabriel, I don't care if Tyler's in the room with you! Stop talking to me like I'm some sort of client!!" she was REALLY upset now.

"My earnest apologies Ms. Belvadere. It has never been our purpose to alienate or..." Gabriel stopped, he could almost hear the anger bubbling from across the ocean. "Okay Kay, I'm sorry."

"That's a bit better."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:28 pm Reply with quote
[b:5e85afefb6]Julius[/b:5e85afefb6]

Julius stared at an image of a cuneiform tablet, scribbling a few notes. Eveshka prowled the apartment, clearly bored to death. Julius looked up, "This is interesting." Eveshka yawned. "Yes, it's a very nice rock." She replied. Julius sighed and turned back to his work. The capricious Toreador felt her temper begin to rise. She had always loved to be the centre of attention and right now it infuriated her that Julius could manage to ignore her in favour of a clay tablet with a few lines and dots on it. "I'm going out." Eveshka announced. Julius in turn felt his own frustration, how was he supposed to work with Eveshka in this kind of mood? "Yeah, ok, whatever." He mumbled.

For Eve this was the final straw. The tension of days of worry about Julius and the situation with Meerlinda, not to mention the effort involved in taming Touraine had already brought her practically to breaking point. From anyone else, she might have simply walked away, but from Julius such behaviour pushed her over the edge. A cup happened to be within easy reach, Julius didn't even flinch as it flew past his head, to impact on the wall and smash into small pieces. That Julius pretended not even to notice simply infuriated her further and a selection of breakable things now flew in his direction.

Suddenly Julius stood, moving with the speed of his well honed celerity, to pluck a vase from the air, placing it gently on the coffee table, next to his laptop. "What's happened to you? This from the woman in fear of her soul?" Eveshka's eyes narrowed, a fang bit into her lower lip, sending a trickle of blood down her chin. "The woman who could study magic beyond the abilities of many Tremere apprentices? You've been in Touraine too long doll. You're turning into one of those stupid airheads." Another vase flew threw the air, this time he felt the breeze it created as it sailed past his head.

"Tell you what, you go ahead and smash stuff. I'm going to see if I can find out what Maryushka died for." Eveshka stalled mid-throw. "How dare you throw my beloved Maryushka in my face." Replied Eveshka, coldly and evenly. Julius ripped open his shirt, displaying the criss cross pattern of scars, the legacy from his stay with Abetorius. "I've been tortured, died horribly twice and am beset by nightmares. All because I came here to work on this fucking scroll. If Mora hadn't busted me out..." Julius trailed off, meeting Eveshka's gaze. "I want out of this city." He continued. "Out of this country and away to somewhere with less painful memories, but I am stuck here until I get this all figured out. It's not much fun for me, either."

At the word fun, Eveshka suddenly remembered their first meeting. Julius had been there to see her and to do a deal, he had been serious and concentrating on the task at hand. Once the deal was concluded, however, he had suddenly changed, becoming the fun loving party animal she had come to regard as "her Julius". Her expression softened. "I'm sorry, love." She ventured.

Julius smiled weakly, having weathered the storm. "So am I." He replied in a reconciliatory tone.

"So what have you discovered?" She asked tentatively.

"This is part of the tale of Gilgamesh." He replied. "It seems that he went up the Euphrates and into Turkey, searching for immortality. It refers to a city where an immortal lived, a great flood and after the flood, the sea of death. I was thinking it added credence to that map you sent me, placing Enoch underwater in the Black Sea."

Julius walked to Eveshka and slipped his arms around her trim waist. Eveshka didn't resist, but neither was particularly welcoming of the attention. "Come on love." Smiled Julius. "There's got to be something better to do that stare at ancient Mesopotamian legends. I feel like dancing."

Suddenly Eveshka felt her tension drain away and enfolded Julius in her arms, accepting the "honourable draw". She kissed him deeply. "I know just the place." She said as she finally disengaged from their embrace, heading toward the door. "And afterward.." Eveshka looked back over her shoulder, engaging Julius' eyes with a seductive, sultry gaze, "We can apologize to each other properly."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:30 pm Reply with quote
[b:cf2c95f95c]Calder[/b:cf2c95f95c]

He sat under the sheltering canopy that hung like a thatched cowl over his balcony. He had emerged from the jungle some months ago, his experiences among the Huacas had granted him a temporary humility. That humility was gone now however, the arrogance of a man driven by vengeance clouding his mind as he looked out over the streets of Cuba. Casting his gaze upon the hundreds of tourists, money starved locals and the city’s darker agents.

[i:cf2c95f95c]“Nun'yunu'wi? A message for you.”[/i:cf2c95f95c]

His new retainer, a Brazilian called Kachuran, called out softly. His attire, though shrouded in the modern trappings of a city dweller, reeked of his origins among the Quechua tribe. In fact his name wasn’t Kachuran. But it served him well enough.

Calder turned, his silvered eyes alarmed Kachuran every time he saw them. But then, the tribesman thought, he was in the presence of a powerful totem spirit. Being alarmed was only natural.

Calder mused at his companion’s ill ease, nodding to him as he raised the receiver to his ear. The gesture was simple, yet it prompted Kachuran to leave the room while his master discussed personal matters.

[i:cf2c95f95c]“This is Calder. Do you have something for me?”

“Yes sir. We’ve tracked our friend down. He’s currently running a number of illegal shipments out of Cairo.” The speaker paused.

“Excellent. Arrange for a flight to Cairo as soon as possible. Oh and Evan?”

“Yes sir?”

“Good work. You will be rewarded.”

“Thank you sir. Good hunting sir.”

“Yes...yes it will be.”[/i:cf2c95f95c] Calder smirked darkly as he replaced the handset. He turned to his desk, lifting a file from the mahogany surface and retiring to the bathroom.

He lay in the frothing, hot water. Losing himself for a brief moment in the luxuriating warmth. The scented bath salts filling his nostrils with their faint, pleasant traces of native plants and flowers.

He inhaled deeply, allowing the warmth, aromas and water to wash over him. Cleansing him of the evening’s grime before he returned his attentions to the file.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:30 pm Reply with quote
[b:6ffcd6506e]Kathy[/b:6ffcd6506e]

" do you know you left without even telling me where you were going? all I got from your office was that hes away on business, did you not think you could have at least let me know?"

"ka.." Gabriel didnt get a chance and he sat on the bed as he let out a sigh.

"im bored and Im lonely and I miss you and I know I normally act like I dont care that much if we dont see each other very much and I know that I just up and go sometimes....but really Gabe this has to stop"

Gabriel ran his fingers along the edge of a shirt and smiled as he listened to her going on.

"I dont know where you are, but wherever it is, im coming to join you and Im not taking...."

"kay! have you finished? can I talk for one minute, I miss you too and Im sorry I didnt let you know I'd be out of town but you know how things are and sometimes I forget and I will try harder, but sometimes you just disappear too without telling me where you are going...."

"Gabe...I'm...I'm sorry ok, can we agree that we have both behaved badly and can you agree never to treat me like Im one of your goddamn clients, I mean you can do if you wish, but only if you can stand the consequences"

gabriel looked warily down the phone, wondering what she was trying to say.

"kay look theres no need for that, I mean I will try harder you know as long as you will"

Kathy caught the fear in his voice and laughed.

"no I dont mean that I wont see you again what I mean is ..."

Tyler looked at Gabriel amazed as he saw his face gradually redden.

"kay really..."

"so thats agreed then, I need your company and dont give me the your too busy line that doesnt wash no more, so where are you ?"

Kathy waited expectantly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:31 pm Reply with quote
[b:80c77d001e]Gabriel[/b:80c77d001e]

The once amusing spectacle of Gabriel arguing over the phone with Kathy had grown nearly agonizing as it dragged on past the hour mark. Tyler, visably bored, sat poetically perched upon the open windows of their hotel suite, casting a longful gaze onto the nightlife below. Gradually, even Gabriel's sturdy conviction relinquished to the Toreador's persistance. Arguments of danger and low profiles held no sway against a love struck Toreador.

As he wrapped up the final arrangements, he threw on a finely fitted indigo blazer. He dropped the cellphone into his coat pocket and whistled to Tyler.

"Alright lad, we've been cooped up long enough. Lets see some action."

Within seconds, Tyler was utilizing Gabriel's potent vitae and had streaked across the room, throwing on an ensemble of clothes and grabbing what few posessions a night out required. His Ventrue master merely laughed as he slipped out of the room and down the elevator to have the car valeted.

Tyler arrived before the bellhop did, and the two stood at the hotel's driveway.

"Tyler, Ms. Belvadere will be joining us tomorrow night. I'll need you to retrieve her from the airport for me."

"Of course Gabriel." The informality of Tyler's address brought a grimace to Gabriel's lips, but he figured that if nothing else during the past several nights Tyler had earned it. He smiled and clapped his arm around Tyler's shoulders, and could automatically sense the fear seep into the air.

"I'll give you the flight information tomorrow. Now, where are we off to tonight?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:32 pm Reply with quote
[b:0cd0b07583]Eveshka[/b:0cd0b07583]

[i:0cd0b07583][b:0cd0b07583]CNN HEADLINE NEWS: SHOWDOWN IN THE GULF[/b:0cd0b07583]

Iraqi SCUD Missiles slammed into Tel Aviv, Israel today, mirroring Saddam Hussein's tactics during the 1991 Gulf War. At this time it is not known whether the missiles carried any chemical or biological agents. Israeli Authorities are assessing the damage but have not issued a statement.

In Gabriel's Cairo Hotel haven. [/i:0cd0b07583]

The secure wireless phone buzzed. Isaac was reporting in.

"Yes," asked Gabriel, with no emotion in his voice.

"There was a bit of a cave in around what looks like a solid wall of stone with an entryway carved into it," said Isaac. "It was just unearthed this afternoon. This must be the Tabernacle. The guards seem to be in a bit of disarray. Tonight or tomorrow night would be ideal for a raid."

Gabriel was quite for a moment. "Understood, Alpha. Anything else to report?"

"No... nothing," said Isaac.

[i:0cd0b07583]Somewhere in Cairo, coming over a radio surrounded by men dressed in black robes[/i:0cd0b07583]

"Understood, Alpha. Six out." The line went dead and was filled with a soft static.

A man with ebony skin dressed in long flowing black robes like something out of Lawrence of Arabia pulled at his beard.

"Raid....... raid....... hmmm. What could they be up to......."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:33 pm Reply with quote
[b:0489f391b2] Kathy[/b:0489f391b2]

Kathy walked through customs, her whole appearance oozing confidence and sheer sex appeal. She had slept most of the journey and she now felt renergized and eager to see Gabriel.

Her cream cotton suit clung to her body in all the right places and she smiled as she caught the many admiring glances. Clutching her Loius Vuitton bag she made her way through arrivals, her eyes scanning the crowd looking for him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:34 pm Reply with quote
[b:acde524a98]Eveshka[/b:acde524a98]

[i:acde524a98][b:acde524a98]DATELINE SEPTEMBER 1ST, 2003. CNN HEADLINE NEWS: SHOWDOWN IN THE GULF[/b:acde524a98]

An altercation occured early this morning involving a possible Israeli incursion into Egypt on the part of the Mossad. Egypt claims that at least two Israeli Army Helicopters lifted off from Ben Rizer Airbase in southern Israel and crossed the border. Egyptian Fighter Jets scrambled to shadow the helicopters. After a protracted search Egypt claims to have shot down at least two helicopters just south of Cairo. Reuters reports that explosions were indeed witnessed by several Belgian tourists around the famed Giza Plateau.

The Coalition that has been hammering Iraq for several weeks appears to be on the verge of breaking up with what seems to be an irrational attack on the part of Israel. Prime Minister L___n of Israel vehemently denies any such attack and is entreating Prime Minister A_____i of Egypt to talk and de-escalate the situation on their border. President K____v of Russia has ordered his forces to temporarily stand down from their involvement in Iraq until the dust from this new crisis has settled down. Thus far Egypt has not responded to Israel's pleas to talk.[/i:acde524a98]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:35 pm Reply with quote
[b:78a7437534]Eveshka[/b:78a7437534]

[i:78a7437534]In the Cairo Chantry slightly after the CNN Broadcast[/i:78a7437534]

A tremere apprentice came into the office where Julius and Eveshka were sifting through piles of maps and papers.

"Excuse me Sire and My Lady, something rather drastic has jsut occurred," said the Apprentice.

Both vampires looked up at the apprentice. As it was Julius' turf, Eveshka remained silent. "Yes," he asked. "What is it?"

"We're not sure of eerything as of yet, but the Tabernacle was just destroyed by an assault force. From the preliminary reports it seems that a special ops team stormed it a few hours ago," said the apprentice.

Julius and Eve looked at each other apprehensively.

"The Egyptians think it was an attack by the Israelis as the force appears to have come from Israel," said the apprentice.

Eveshka moved over to the television and turned it onto CNN. [i:78a7437534]”There is nothing to indicate why Israel would launch an attack such as this upon Egypt," said a commentator. "Egypt and Israel are still under a cease fire agreement from the 1973 Yom Kippur War. The United Nations has not ruled out the possibility that Israel sanctioned the action, but at this time it has declared that that possibility is remote. Egypt has pulled all of it's fighters back from Turkey and is patrolling the border with Israel on a high alert status. Meanwhile, the United States, Great Britain, and Germany have resumed air operations against Iraq. Russia's forces remain at the ready, but have not resumed operations yet. Turkey has allowed use of its airbases for fighters already based there, but has decreed that no further forces shall be allowed in until the question of Israel is determined. Several more SCUD missiles fell upon Tel Aviv this evening causing minimal damage. Still no aggressive response from Jerusalem."[/i:78a7437534]

Eveshka looked over at Julius with a raised eyebrow.

Julius narrowed his eyes in thought and asked more to himself than anyone else, "Gabriel?" He shook his head to dismiss the idea. The young ventrue wouldn't do something as rash as that. Or would he?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:35 pm Reply with quote
[b:5ce26d912d]Gabriel[/b:5ce26d912d]

He flipped the latch shut on the hotel windows, muffling the tense sounds of the city below. In the streets and squares of the city, tension was coiled tightly in the hearts and eyes of the Kine. Terrorism of this kind hadn't occured in Egypt for some time, the last attack taking place in the late 90's. Tyler smirked.

"Well Gabriel, you've certainly left your mark on Cairo. This will undoubtably stir up a hornet's nest." Tyler had abandoned his evening attire for a more comfortable terry cloth robe. His mentor sat quietly across the room, a blood tainted brandy resting in his hand.

"If you've any reservations about being here Tyler, I'd gladly send you home in exchange for a more steadfast aide."

Another night had passed, and the media frenzy was immediate and frantic. The major news networks covered the developments with a hunger, prodding and probing into the relevant and more often than not, the irrelevant. Things were going to become a bit more difficult...but that's what Gabriel had intended.

He had no doubt that he was dealing with an advisary who posessed considerable more influence in this region than he did. With the ensuing controversy, their options would be limited. The Ventrue would have to hold up in his temporary haven and watch.

"I've no intentions of being left out of this Gabriel." Tyler stated, mustering a rather feeble attempt at free will. His jaw was iron clamped, but his glossy eyes gave him away. Still, Gabriel humored him.

"So be it."

His immediate worry was not these 'mystery men' who sought the scroll so desperately. He feared Julius Darrant. The cunning Tremere would undoubtably consider Gabriel first and foremost on the list of suspects for such a horrendous act. However, hopefully Gabriel could pull off a convincing performance and convince Julius that the destruction of the Tabernacle was a disaster for BOTH of them.

A click sounded from the door, drawing the attention of both men. Kathy's beaming face appeared, a look of concern drawn slightly upon it. Gabriel motioned her in. Kay had arrived the previous night, she and Gabriel had spent an enjoyable night out. Tyler had been none too pleased when they had returned flustered and arroused. Apparently he had not counted on spending several hours out in the lobby while his employer commindeered the room. After all, when one is undead and has infinite control over their nerve endings, to a bystander these things can drag out.

But after Tyler's stern rebuke of the situation the following evening, Gabriel had relented and had arranged for Kathy to pick up the keys to their new suite.

"Did you get the extra room set up with the...." he trailed off as two gaunt filthy figures followed the newly arrived Toreador into the room. From hollow faces, Daniel and Isaac peered at the Ventrue mogul. "Ah...boys. You've returned, I trust you've brought the tapes?"

Isaac rushed forward, arching a white knuckled fist through the air as he did so. A cold glare from Gabriel stopped him in his tracks.

"You don't want to do that Isaac. That's not why you came here."

Isaac seemed slightly confused for a moment, his furrowed brow raised for a moment, as if he had truly forgotten his purpose in coming here.

"You've come to deliver the tape to me as promised. It's all you've been thinking about for the past several days." As Gabriel's silken voice reach Isaac, the youth slowly began to nod in agreement. Even Tyler followed suit and began to nod, fully convinced of Isaac's purpose.

Isaac slumped over slightly, and then reached into his bag. As he and Daniel handed over the video cameras Gabriel passed them along to Tyler.

"Tyler, have the car brought around. I'll need to deliver these to Mr. Darrant personally." Tyler complied and went about making the proper arrangements, leaving his master to turn his full attention on the mortal lackies. "I must admit, I'm truly surprised to see the two of you."

"We uh...just wanted to deliver the tape..." Isaac stated dully, his eyes faded and distant.

"Of course you did boys...of course you did."

+++++++++++++++++

Three quarters of an hour later, Gabriel and Kathy pulled up to the chantry in the rental car. Parking in the visitor section, he popped the trunk and removed the single manilla envelope that contained both tapes. He took a final glance at the two mangled corpses of Daniel and Isaac that consumed the rest of the trunk before he shut it and head inside, clutching Kathy a bit tighter than usual to his side.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:36 pm Reply with quote
[b:9dfb7fffca]Julius[/b:9dfb7fffca]

"Well, it's a small world." Remarked Julius, pointing to the cctv monitor. "Gabriel and the dear Ms Belvedere."

Eveshka looked up to peruse the image. "They do appear to be rather close, don't they."

"Yes." Replied Julius with an evil smirk. "What an exciting opportunity for a little fun. Shall we go and greet our visitors?"

"Julius, you are an evil man." Eveshka mused, with a raised eyebrow and the beginnings of her own smirk appearing.

Gabriel and Kathy were shown to a comfortable lounge. A collection of high backed armchairs were set up in a semi-circle facing a stack of AV equipment at the far end of the room. Julius stood near the door, ready to welcome the couple.

"Gabriel, good of you to come." Began Julius.

Gabriel nodded, "Julius Darrant, may I present."

"and Kathy!" Interrupted Julius. "So good to see you again." Julius took her hand and delicately caressed a knuckle with his lips. "How are you keeping?"

Gabriel mentally kicked himself. It hadn't even occurred to him that maybe Kathy knew Julius. Slowly he began to acquire a sinking, out of his depth feeling. What was it with this Tremere that he seemed to be always able to place him at a disadvantage.

"I'm well thankyou, Julius." Replied Kathy, wincing internally with sympathy for Gabriel. In all the excitement, he had neglected to mention that it was Julius they were to meet. "Was everything ok, after that incident in 'The Veils'?"

"They trashed my car, but all is well enough for now." Replied Julius amicably.

"Is that Kathy's voice I hear?" Said Eveshka, rising from where she had been seated, deliberately out of sight in one of the armchairs. Eveshka walked to the group, using just enough presence that it wouldn't be noticed, yet enhanced the gifts nature had provided her. Radiant, she embraced Kathy. "Wonderful to see you, my dear. And who is your little friend?"

Gabriel's head began to spin. He had walked into a Tremere chantry to deliver a taped report and ended up in some kind of Toreador social club, where everyone was old friends and he was the new boy. Kathy's mind, in turn was racing. The last time she had seen this pair together, was in Paris, where they had been followed by someone. Whatever had happened that night, she was sure it was connected with what was happening now. She glanced very briefly at Gabriel with apologetic eyes, extremely uncomfortable with the situation being created.

"My apologies." Said Julius mildly. "Gabriel, may I present the Lady Eveshka Shuvolov, Comtesse De Touraine. Eve, this is Gabriel O'Brien, Seneschal of Cascadia."

Eveshka extended a hand and almost mechanically, Gabriel took it. The name Eveshka was familiar to him, formerly Harpy to Prince Rhiannon and now apparently a Prince in her own right. Furthermore, here she was in Cairo and clearly in league with this turbulent Tremere. Once again, Julius had him off balance. It would take him a little time to work through the implications of all this.

Julius smiled broadly and gestured towards the chairs. "Now that we are all acquainted, what have you got to show me today, Gabriel?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:40 pm Reply with quote
[b:43de5a3eaf]Gabriel[/b:43de5a3eaf]

Gabriel merely stammered for a moment, nearly two centuries of social stature slipped from his grasp. For several heart wrenching moments he had lost his ability to act gracefully under pressure. Certainly he had been in worse situations, but something about these two was so.....stifling.

Especially the Toreador. So this was the infamous Eveshka? She didn't look human, the smooth fluid lines of her porcelain skin made her look statuesque. Finer than anything that man had ever produced or possibly even dreamt of.

They didn't seemed surprised at his silence, they almost looked as if they expected it. Gabriel wasn't about to give them that satisfaction. A wry smile pursed his lips as he feigned confidence.

"Well, as we discussed, I've brought the tapes from the digsite. Again, I must apologize for the delay in the delivery, but you've no doubt heard of the complications that arose..." Gabriel paused for a moment as he offered the envelope to Julius.

The Tremere didn't even glance at the parcel, but kept his eyes squarely on his guest. A mere wave of the hand brought an apprentice Tremere over to collect the tape from Gabriel. As the squire set about hooking up the adaptor to the VCR, Julius smiled.

"I've heard indeed Mr. O'Brien." The sick bastard was toying with him. Gabriel sighed, trying to sound remorseful. What was he doing?! He was no Toreador, there was no chance he could fool these two, they were reading him like an open book. Suddenly he felt way in over his head.

"Well, it cost me two valuable operatives...hopefully whatever information you've gathered in return will render their sacrifices worthy." he nodded and gripped Kathy's hand, wishing she was far away from Cairo.

The skin lit up with snow and then the soft green lighting of the desert landscape appeared. Julius watched, his face not registering any particular interest other than his general attention. From his side, Kathy shot worried glances at Gabriel, wondering why he was so petrified.

As for Gabriel himself, he sat doing all he could to contain torrents of blood sweat from cascading down his brow. It took all his willpower and concentration to hold back. That damned Eveshka....

She sat staring at him, never once even glancing at the screen. Her feline eyes gnashing at him, burning holes through his undead corpse. The screen returned to white, the photage ending just several hours before the choppers had arrived. The Ventrue heaved, stood up turning to Julius as he did so.

"Well Mr. Darrant," he said hesitantly. "I hope the tape has been of some value to you. Ms. Belvadere and I will leave you to your studies. Contact me when they're fin..."

"Actually Mr. O'Brien, you'll be pleased to know I've already uncovered several clues to our little mystery." Darrant took several steps towards the door leading to the mid section of the Chantry. "Perhaps you two would like to come have a look?"

It didn't seem like much of a question, more of a statement. Gabriel glanced backwards in the general direction of the room's exit. Eveshka sat idly by, her flawless legs crossed. She smiled a bit...and terrified Gabriel to the core. He turned back to Julius.

"Terrific." he said with a shaky smile.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:41 pm Reply with quote
[b:e85882c4d3]Calder[/b:e85882c4d3]

Alqo walked with a degree of impatience. His courier hadn’t arrived as scheduled. If he didn’t get the package before dawn, he’d have a lot of explaining to do to his buyer, Carlos. He headed towards the shanty town district. Hoping he’d intercept his courier there. He couldn’t have known that death had come to the shanties.

The growling seemed to come from everywhere at once. Alqo laughed it off at first, as the snarlings of a frightened stray. He yelled, thinking the sudden sound would send the dog running. It didn’t.

As he crossed the dirt tracks that fed into the tumbling, crumbling shantytowns, he heard it again. This time it sounded closer, more aggressive. He spun on his heels, trying reluctantly to find the source of the sound.

From behind a fallen sheet of corrugated iron, death stepped on four clawed feet.

[i:e85882c4d3]“Mictlantecuhtli!”[/i:e85882c4d3]

The hound rose it’s massive head, terrible fangs glistening in the air’s humidity. It tensed sleek muscles, readying itself to spring as Alqo started to run. It’s paws extended claws, catlike, increasing each foot’s purchase on the sodden soil.

Alqo’s heart thundered in his chest as he scrambled into the dilapidated village of wood, iron and plastic sheeting. His feet tripping him as he heard the roar in his ears. He never saw his attacker again. Only feeling the sharp pressure in his neck as it brought him down like a defeated Impala.

By dawn’s light, Calder sat in the belly of a plane. His journey to vengeance had begun.

-------------------------------------

The drive from Cairo International had taken place just after dusk. Cairenes scurried to and fro, heading home from long days in offices and the bazaars. The streets were bristling with life, thousands of dark figures moving and standing like the bristles on a dog’s back. The car drove in staggered movements towards it’s own destination. Standing proudly and defiantly against the distant squalor of the less prosperous corners of the city the Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel was a welcoming sight to the travel weary passengers.

Kachuran climbed out first, his suit clashing with the tribal piercings and tattoos that covered his brown face. He ordered the luggage to be taken to the suite before turning his attention to his irritable master.

Calder sat bolt upright. His face was creased with the annoyance of such a prolonged journey. Granted he’d slept the majority of it, but the heat and the sand did his mood no favours. He stepped out as Kachuran held the door open. His silver eyes glancing here and there. He nodded with false satisfaction at the driver and followed his “man” to the hotel foyer.

Palm trees and pools of pumped, freshwater bubbled and roiled as he waited for Kachuran to check in and retrieve the ID card that served as both room key and identification. Kachuran smiled at his grim master, he could see the heat was irritating him. He himself had long grown accustomed with heat, but the dry heat of Egypt was a far cry from the humid jungle he’d stepped from.

They followed the bellhop to their room, Kachuran tipping him handsomely to secure his favours in the days to come. They walked into the expansive, sprawling suite. Calder stepping directly to the balcony as Kachuran unpacked a few essentials.

[i:e85882c4d3]“Kachuran. Leave those for now. The night is still young. Go and relax in the bar. I have things to consider.” [/i:e85882c4d3]

Calder turned his head only slightly, looking over his shoulder at the tribesman. He feigned a smile, but it appeared on his face like a slanted smirk rather than an expression of affection. But it’s appearance didn’t alarm Kachuran. He merely nodded before replying.

[i:e85882c4d3]“Yes Nun'yunu'wi. I shall be available if you need me.”[/i:e85882c4d3] He held up the small cell-phone and left in a false hurry. Calder had merely grunted before turning his attentions to the shower room. He felt sickly with the heat. Time to freshen up he mused.