<  Chit-Chat  ~  Calling it a Night

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Party's over.

We're all losing our jobs!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
This is some elaborate hoax, correct?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Like, everybody everybody? Or just some people everybody?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Sorry. I felt some odd compulsion yesterday to share my plight but did so in the midst of a busy day.

To elaborate, my group is shutting down at the end of the summer. I will be matrixed over to a new group for the remainder of the year and then in all likelihood laid off. Such is the way things go in the R&D world (or so I'm told).

So in preparation, I'm working on getting as many certifications this summer as humanly possible in preparation for the oncoming job hunt.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
If you were to relocate to Mt. Morris, NY, I could probably employ you part time as a paralegal of sorts.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
User avatarNosferatuPosts: 330Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:50 am
ooh That sux. everyone around it loseing their freaking jobs. Im doing the work of 3 different people and 16 different agencies becasue they don't hire people to replace the retireing ones. So the more ppl lose their jobs the busier i get.

the same with Misty. she is working double today. off friday. then doubles Saturday - Tuesday.

It hurts to have friends loseing everything when we are doing well.

Keep us posted. as to when you get your PVing arse into new employment

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. In a strange blessing/curse type of situation because I'm so relatively cheap (see: underpaid) I should be easy to place. I'm skeptical though.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
You've got some good skills, Jimbob, hopefully you'll be fine.

Start looking NOW though, don't wait until you get canned.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarSisterPosts: 27Location: anywhere but the past.Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm
No, its not a hoax.

I'm recently out of a job AND a home. shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Jesu Christe, this is some heavy suckage.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
User avatarSisterPosts: 27Location: anywhere but the past.Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm
Well ok.. i had to drive 24 hours, straight to vegas, but im not homeless now. Still no job. suck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's an odd situation when severe SEVERE anxiety turns to good fortune. Two months ago I was so overstressed over this revelation (plus the house search, plus the upcoming wedding, etc) that I was having panic attacks. I actually was prescribed something by my doctor, but at that point the attacks had ceased, so I never took the medication. Point being, I was honestly at one of the most stressful points of my life thus far.

Cut to several weeks later and I find myself choosing between two job offers:

1. System Administrator 2 within my company. The pros of this offer is that I know many of the people I would work with. And of course it would come wiht a great opportunity to learn and get elbow deep in servers and storage systems. There would be potential training opportunities.

2. Physical-to-Virtual Engineer 2 within my company. I join the team that essentially converts many of our physical servers to virtual servers. It's straight forward and offers a lot of flexibility (ie. no office that I have to show up at). I just have to perform the conversions by the end of day. It works with VMware, which I would receive extensive training in. VMware technicians are pretty sought after folks in the IT industry, so I would be learning a valuable trade indeed.

I haven't seen the salary offers yet, and that will certainly play a role...but it's an odd turn of events. Now I have not just a chance, but a choice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Woot! Go Gabey!

Tough choice though!

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it's a tough one. I am a creature of habit, so going into a totally new environment is tough for me to stomach. But it may be a better opportunity. We'll see who offers the most money. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow Gabe! Way to gO!