<  Chit-Chat  ~  Writing Rituals

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
What rituals or steps do you guys undertake to get in the mindset to really write? I sat down the other night to write for the first time in a long time...had been listening to the appropriate mood music for the subject matter, had been brainstorming, etc etc. I sat down and started typing and just NOTHING...

Two paragraphs in I gave up. How do I spark my muse?

What do you guys do? Do you have a particular type of music or setting you use to write to?

By the way, I turned my Page Display back to "Chronicles". It's like a blast from the past!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Christ....

My muse used to be kicked into action by whatever you guys put out here. But if I was "cold posting" I did one of the following.

1) Put on a favourite music collection, something moody for dark stuff, something rousing for the action pieces.

2) Put a favourite film on and listen as I typed.

3) Bury myself in a good book and hope it triggered something.

However these days my muse has completely left me....even when I'm in the mood to write I just can't. Nothing comes out. I just get annoyed then sulk.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Yeah...but you know it's just rust. Once the rust shakes off all that ability will return. It's just being willing to sit through a few intensely frustrating writing sessions.

I think that's what I need to do. Just push through a few times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Know what I'm looking forward to?

Getting my degree, then sitting down and writing something knowing that my ability has improved immesurably :)

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
All my worst writing has been when I've pushed or cajoled something down.

Now I write when I've got an idea of what I wanna write about.

Also, I dunno about you guys, but I'm much MUCH busier these days, finding the time and energy to babble something out is quite unusual.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Well yeah there is that. Most of my night is spent studying, with only the last 2 hours for chill out time so I rarely have the will to write :/

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
I get the opportunity to check this site out on a regular basis, but have no opportunity to do much of anything else. I have fleeting glimpses of ideas, but they never come to fruition. The last one fizzled out and I don't feel arsed to continue it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote
User avatarMalkavianPosts: 44Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:03 am
I really love writing in general, but when it has to touch a particular subject, such as vampires, I beleive that movie producers, book writers etc.. did pretty much the tour of the subject in every little aspect, which makes it hard to think of something new, seeing mostly everything had been written once.

I usualy do one of two things, either just picture a general idea and improvise, which makes it interesting even for the writer seeing we have no real idea of where we are going, or I just take an existant subject and try to disect it into something different, once started I can usualy figure something interesting out, well, sometimes lol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
User avatarSisterPosts: 27Location: anywhere but the past.Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm
I just put down a couple paragraphs, if i have them. A few hours to a day later, I'll come back and read things over, then go from there- following logic, character motives.. my stories are still writing themselves. Each new day provides at some point, new inspiration for writing. I have no idea where my stories are going to go, before i start writing them.