<  Chit-Chat  ~  TV Remakes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
I just downloaded the first couple of episodes of the remake of V.

Despite any number of lewdly tempting ideas about kinky alien sex with Morena Baccarin (playing Anna, leader of the 'Visitors) and the appearance of Alan Tudyk I could only manage half an episode before my attention span finally gave up. I might try and watch it again, but frankly, I'm struggling to see how this is reimagined, being not much more than a see-through wishy washy attempt to disguise a carbon copy of the 1983 original. Even the shuttlecraft look pretty much identical and the matting isn't much better.

Fortunately before I was forced to start throwing things at the TV in disgust, the first two episodes of Prisoner 2009 finished downloading.

*jumping and down* OH OH!! Now this is much more like it. Ian McKellen as Number 2 is inspired, if anyone is going to pull off a mask and suddenly turn into a lizard it's him. They really have captured the spirit of the original, whilst making something all their own. The Rovers are still bouncing along in their sinister way and there's a lovely undercurrent amongst the villagers of quietly suppressed fear. Can't wait for the next episode.. "Be seeing you!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
User avatarEvil yet deliciousPosts: 164Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:49 am
V!!! I had one of those "I'm a freedom fighter" stickers on my lunch box in third grade. Thanks for the flash back. Now where did I leave my Speak & Spell??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
I am not familiar with the originals of either of those series. I hope television doesn't start down the same path as Hollywood seems to be on. Greed for money has completely destroyed the art of film making. Not an original idea remains. Sadness. :(

Not saying these remakes can't be good shows btw.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
It can go either way, clearly - V sucks, Prisoner is good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
We shall see my young ward...we shall see...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Prisoner remake....the idea's repellent. Jim Cazievel ffs! He can't even act!? Patrick McGoohan ftw! Still, Stef's quite tough to please in terms of programming etc so.....maybe.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Well we know that Cazievel can take a whipping on screen like no one else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Cazievel will never be McGoohan, admittedly, but he does a reasonable job of number 6.

The party trick this remake has is in bringing Number 2 into a much bigger role. In the original, Number 2 pops up played by more than one actor as a bit part now and again.

In the reimagining, Number 2 (played by an Ian McKellen with his sinister turned up to 11) is an ever present, white suited figure of evil, evoking poorly hidden undercurrents of fear and paranoia amongst the Villagers...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I like Ian McKellen's explanation of acting on Extras.

'How do I act so well? What I do is I pretend to be the person I'm portraying in the film or play.'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote
User avatarNosferatuPosts: 330Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:50 am
I am watching the new (V).
but in the first episode they made the (V's ) the badguys.
my best friend was rich when the original came out and had a Beta so he recoreed it . i have seen it so many times i can't count. ive seen the older version recently and the new versoion is a joke.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
I am not a number, I am a free man!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Boomboom tap... boom..boom tap... boomboom tap.. rupppydup ruppy dup.

Offline Profile