<  Chit-Chat  ~  Breastfeeding in Public?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
There's a big hoopla here in the news about breastfeeding mothers (not really sure what started it, but it's all over CNN) and I started thinking about it. One argument is that it's perfectly natural and for all the other awful things our society tolerates it's ridiculous to demonize feeding an infant. The other primary argument seems to be it makes others uncomfortable and women should find somewhere private to breastfeed.

Personally, I suppose I'm a little between the two. Although I would prefer for women to be a little more modest about it, I would never want a mother feeding her hungry child to be penalized or fined. I once sat on a bus where the woman straight across from me was nursing, no blanket or discretion, just full on boob out. I'll admit it, it was uncomfortable. I had to continually look every which direction but at her.

I suppose ultimately, I think it should be a person's own discretion. I think people should WANT to be somewhat modest about showing their breasts in public. The blanket option makes sense to me. I don't believe they should banished to the bathroom or should have to run around frantically looking for somewhere to feed their hungry child. And they CERTAINLY shouldn't be fined by the government. Ultimately, it just means it's up to me to deal with it if someone chooses to whip it out, and I suppose I'm okay with that.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 285Location: yorkshireJoined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 pm
I totally agree with you that breastfeeding shouldn't be banished to the public toliets or some segrated area say in a restaurant. It's the most natural thing in the world but I can see why people do get embarassed by it if they witness it. I don't think its so much the sight of the boobs, more a feeling of that your watching something very deep and personal between a mum and their baby, it's like your intruding into their world.

My sister in law always has a real thin shawl with her and if she's out and about and needs to feed the little one she simply drapes it over herself. Such a simple thing to do but it avoids embarassing anyone, she still has had dirty looks though even if she does that so she just removes it altogether lol

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
I think a lot of the discomfort comes from the idea that if one (particularly applies to men) is caught looking, then you risk being labelled as a dirty pervy titty voyeur, so much like James, you have to make a big ass fuss about looking everywhere else.

In the USA, also people tend to be more... I'm not sure if the word is prudish, but as a society like to avoid such matters, both in language and in actuality and thus authorities are likely to take a stricter view over what is offensive nudity than they might over here.

I really can't imagine a UK policeman doing much more than embarrassedly and apologetically asking a mother to be a little more discrete, and only then if other people in the area were offended.

This is also quite new in many ways. Just a few years ago it would have been unthinkable to breast feed in public. Once it becomes a bit more commonplace, I think everyone will calm down and accept it as perfectly normal behaviour. We just need to get used to it and the only way we will do so, is if more mothers choose not to feel ashamed about feeding their children in public, so I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
I think you're right about the US culture being a little bit more uptight about these kinds of things. For all our talk of liberalism we're still a society steeped deeply in religion, and I think to some extent the old rules still carry weight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
VentruePosts: 102Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:57 pm
Are people seriously suggesting women use a blanket, or even worse completely seclude themselves from public viewing. I am appauled! Free open to public titties, and we are society bitches. And personally i have no shame in staring. POST PREGNANT MOTHERS BEWARE.......im watchin

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarUnknownPosts: 117Location: ChicagoJoined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:24 pm
I breastfeed in public. I tend to cover it up with a blanket until he's latched on. I try to do it discreetly, not because I'm embarrassed about doing it but because I don't want other people to feel uncomfortable.

I think the problem is twofold:

1. Breasts are over sexualized if you see what I mean. At the end of the day, they aren't there solely for pleasure, but to feed a baby.

2. Not enough women breastfeed. If everyone breastfed, people would get used to it and eventually, mostly ignore it.

In the UK there needs to be a big health awareness campaign (slike the 5 a day one a few years ago) because the health benefits are enormous for mother and baby and not enough women breastfeed because of this negative/embarrassed attitude towards it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Sorry it has to be done....

[size=24:99d8ad458e]BOOBIES!!!!!![/size:99d8ad458e]

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Yeah, really. Who doesn't like tits?

Offline Profile