<  Chit-Chat  ~  Considerations of my future

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 56Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:13 am
So right, as many of you may or may not know, I'm still a college student. But I'm kind of at a crossroads. I've chosen to walk away from my previous major of business. I've no head, nor heart, for it.

But... I've got two choices in front of me. The first, and most obvious choice, is X-ray technician.

The second choice, and this is something I've really only recently considered... is to take up teaching.

I'm still not sure which way I'll go, but I'm leaning more and more towards a teaching career. I mean, I really loved history and anything involving reading when I was in highschool, and a fair few of my teachers were on a power trip, or just didn't care about the students, even from day one.

I've been thinking maybe that this happens to a lot of kids, and it causes a lot of damage to them, maybe hurting their drive to succeed, like it did mine.

I also remember how well I did in classes where the teacher actually cared about the subject, and was in it for the sake of the job they were doing... you know, the good teachers, not the ones just out to push kids around, or out to just make a 'lazy dollar'.

I'm what you want, when you want it. I'll do the things you can't or won't, I'm everything you need, right when you need it. Take my deal, accept my terms. Give me your problems and I'll make them mine. All you have to do is play by the rules...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Well, I have a friend who started out as an X-ray technician.

Of course, she's much MUCH prettier than you so is immediately at an advantage, but anyway...

She's now gone on into medical physics with all kinds of wierd and wonderful scanning devices and is finding it incredibly diverse and interesting. Therefore, when considering options in an x-ray department, make sure to look at the career progression options.

As for teaching - well some people have the ability and vocation, some people don't. If you want to teach, you need not only to be well versed in your subject, you need to really love it and be able to communicate your passion to your students in order to engage them.

In either case, you need good people skills as one way or another, you'll be interacting with the "public".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
User avatarNosferatuPosts: 330Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:50 am
Teaching is a Noble profession. And is highly respected from a distance. but when your kid is in school and the teacher does something wrong. the teacher is an idot. Its the way most parrents feel.

X-ray tech is in the background. you don't deal with patients except on a limited basis. if i had my druthers .. itd be the Tech.

but that is just me.. i generally don't like people.