<  Chit-Chat  ~  INDY IV! SPOILERS! DON'T READ IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE FILM!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Saw it tonight.

Thought it was good, but not great.

The plot "twist" at the end felt out of place n an Indy movie though.

Last edited by Porter on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
I've heard bad things about this film. Not quite as "Indy" as Indy 1,2 & 3. Too much CGI and not enough Indyness.

I'll wait for it to be on TV I think... if I even bother.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
I purposely did NOT review Indy IV on here as I did not want to color anyone's opinions of it...

...essentially I loathed it. There were brief moments of Indy...but it will never be canon for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
CappadocianPosts: 18Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:18 am
Agreed!

Spolier:
[size=7:dcf488c14f]It completely lost me with all the alien/ufo crap.[/size:dcf488c14f]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Still, I think a 5th Indy is required to repair his reputation :)

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
I 100% completely agree.

Ultimately I was happier to have a new Indy than NOT have a new Indy. It just wasn't the same.

In the old movies, Indiana Jones was a force of nature. Yes he got hurt. Yes some of his victories came by accident. His humanity was part of what made him a fantastic hero, but his resourcefulness and determination made him an actual FORCE.

In Raiders, when he and Marion escape the Well of Souls and make it onto the airbase, where he fights the mechanic and accidently blows up the water tower. Belloc (miles away) sees the huge explosion and instinctively cries "JONES!"

THAT'S what I mean. He punched, shot, whipped, and leapt his way through calamity. In this movie...he was just along for the ride. There were brief moments. The first sequence in the warehouse for example.

But beyond that it was just too clustered with characters. It took the focus off of his abilities and onto this traveling corterie.

Anyway...Ford still looks good in the old outfit and maybe George Lucas will die before the next one's made.

Him and his fucking CGI.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The jungle battles were classic Indy though, as was the scene on the bike with Mutt being chased by commies. The CGI was totally unnecessary and overblown. I hear folk saying it's set in the 50's ie Roswell decade but if they wanted to make a film like that they could have, but don't mix bloody SciFi with Indy! He's a mystical artefact hunting, jeep driving, horse riding rough and tumble hero, not frigging Flash Gordon!

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
The jungle battles I DIDN'T enjoy that much.

The swordfight between the two jeeps?? The vine swinging Tarzan retardness?! Ug...

...but yes, the motorcycle chase was a refreshing Indy reminder. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
The Tarzan bit was shit. The jeeps battle echoed the tank in #3 I thought though :) Kept waiting disappointingly for 2 lines though....

1)

"It's not the mileage honey, it's the years." A retcon of the line in Raiders.

2)

Mutt to say "Scorpions! Why'd it have to be scorpions!?"

The "quicksandesque" scene with the snake being used as a rope was quite chucklesome I thought

Offline Profile ICQ