<  Chit-Chat  ~  Oh the humanity!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
My current job (remember i change in two weeks) has me as part of a 3 man team. Well, lucky me. Right before I quit, one employees quits and takes vacation and the other is fired. So I'm alone...only I'm NOT alone.

I have with me a new employee in a newly created position. He's not my coworker...more of my manager. But he's new, so he's unable to run the desk on his own. What does this mean? This means I will work virtually everyday for the next two weeks, open to close (a 10-12 hour shift generally) WITHOUT the pleasure of being alone. Instead, I have this guy breathing down my neck.

AND I get to train the newbies!!

The sooner I get out of here the better! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 285Location: yorkshireJoined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 pm
Well there is one way to look at it .......think of you wage packet!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Or better yet, the fact that you're leaving for greener pastures :)

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Mmmm...true dat. Man I'm whipped. Sleeeeeepy.

Anyway, I'm gonna take a picture of my brand new cubicle and show it off.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
American style cube farms are so full of lose that I can't even begin to contemplate the mind crushing awfulness of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well..the office is definataly a cube farm. No doubt.

But try sitting at an elevated desk (so your feet don't touch the floor) that you share with two other people (so your sh*t is constantly moved) for two years and then tell me a cubicle doesn't look inviting.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I sit with my back to the corner of the room, 2 monitors on my desk which nobody can see. My nearest neighbour is my colleague Pete.

We can both see all the monitors belonging to the staff.

This means that we can surf the net and mess about, whilst ensuring our employees aren't.

I am next to a window. I open it if I want. There is a plant on my windowsill. The sun shines through the window into our large airy open plan office.

This is next to perfect. No, your cube farm does not excite me.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm...I would HATE it if my manager could peer over my shoulder the entire workday. I'm sure it increases productivity, but personally I'd go nuts. The window and airy space certainly sound nice.

If I obtain a Project Manager or Coordinator position I would recieve my own office, at which case all talk of cube farm would cease to be relevant.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Just as a P.S. my last position here at the resort was office based and my manager COULD see my computer. It was incredibly annoying, so I am speaking from experience, not just hypothetical theories.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's annoying. I'm not like *right over* their shoulder, far enough away to give the impression I'm not spying on them, but close enough that I can if I want.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 285Location: yorkshireJoined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 pm
My office is in the courtyard at the back of the B&B I work in, weather permitting of course lol otherwise it's one of the dining room tables cleared while I do the bills etc.
Bet your a big softie as a boss Stef :)

Good luck with the job James!

Offline Profile