<  Chit-Chat  ~  *gulp*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Wish me luck guys!

Got a job interview this Friday and I'm petrified!

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Hey, I feel you there buddy. I HATE job interviews and I always get tied up in knots prior. But like anything else, usually once you get there and get into it, it goes fairly smoothly. Just keep your cool.

And I don't know how good you are at "tricking" yourself, but if you can convince yourself that you're also interviewing THEM to even decide if you WANT the job, it puts the stress on them, not you. Doesn't work for me personally, but a lot of my friends seem to use the method to good effect.

Also, ask a lot of questions. It make you appear engaged and interested.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 56Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:13 am
I won't pretend to offer advice, Porter. On this, I have none to give, especially considering I am presently self employed in the scrap metal business along with landscaping.

I do alright, in terms of money.

I geuss the thing to remember is resignation. If you don't get your hopes up, they don't have far to fall... wait... thats not good advice.

hmn. My method for speech class wouldn't suit either.... at least, I'm pretty sure 'go in with the intention of making yourself come off as a collossal jerk, cos you'll succeed' would probably be counter productive...

unless...

Not applying for a management position, are you? Because then you'd be a shoe in! No. seriously. Its why I -prefer- self employment when possible. It seems like 'being a collossal jerk' is one of the primary things they look for in management types.

But that might be a regional problem.

I'm what you want, when you want it. I'll do the things you can't or won't, I'm everything you need, right when you need it. Take my deal, accept my terms. Give me your problems and I'll make them mine. All you have to do is play by the rules...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
There was a book published recently (not going to look it up) called somethiing along the lines of "How to be Successful by Acting Like a Jerk" and it's basic premise was in business if you present an appearance of being busy, dominating, alpha-male, and impatient it basically intimidates everyone around you into deferring to you.

Kind of a flawed theory in my opinion. There are undoubtedly cases where it would work, but you definately have to possess the cajones to pull it off consistently AND the knowledge base and ability to back it up when someone calls your bluff. Otherwise you don't look confident and commanding, you look like a dick who is as clueless as anyone else.

But it does tap into a psychological aspect that's pretty interesting, and that's the idea that MOST people want to be led. Natural born leaders are called that for a reason, if everyone had the true desire and drive to lead, then natural born leaders would be called "normal". But most people WANT to defer to someone else. They WANT people to take the lead and responsibility. But it doesn't seem like a very pleasant way to go through your professional career.

In any case, I doubt it's a good method for an interviewee to adopt. You definately want to exhude confidence, but don't come off as a prick. If the interviewer feels intimidated by you, where's the incentive to HIRE you?

"This guy makes me nervous...I want him in the office every day!"

Anyway, I say again, good luck buddy boy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
VentruePosts: 102Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:57 pm
Good luck...Dont be too nervous be confident, or at least pretend. I guess im lucky never to have been nervous for a job, though ive never really had a particularly a white collar job. But I doubt id stress too much on it cause id be best for the job...Do it man good luck again

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Well that was different.

Went well, I think, but the competition was fierce so very much doubt I got it.

Still, it's all good experience for the next biggie

Thanks everybody :)

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
If this past year has taught me anything, it's that selling yourself is a skill most people have to learn and practice.

No amount of preparation for an interview will substitute experience. Every time I go on an interview it gets a little easier.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Didn't get it.

Interview apparently was good.

Guess where I fell down?

The Roleplay exercise!!

WTF!!????

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
VentruePosts: 102Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:57 pm
guess weve enlisted one more for the new SoC mmorpg..........Seriously though tough break mang....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
lololololololololololol!

you blew the RPing bit?! you were too focused on the other stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah :/

NM, it's all a learning curve :)

Already got another one in my sights ;)

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, by coincidence, I received a call this morning while I was out for a jog by one of the companies I had repeatedly applied to and heard nothing from. Finally got a call about a potential position.

SO...we'll see how this goes...

P.S. Good luck on your next one bud.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
[quote:ccb6de5aff="Porter"]
Guess where I fell down?

The Roleplay exercise!![/quote:ccb6de5aff]

Next time try to remember that vampires aren't normally considered terribly employable, unless the job is night security perhaps.

No, nor werewolves either.

Better luck next time :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...I really ought to have researched the post better ;)

*crosses off all Garlic Factories and Wooden Stake production lines or silver mines*

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Well..in case you thought you were alone Frankie beans, in half an hour I have my second phone interview with my potential employer. It's a conference call with three people.

I'm about to poop my pants. :D