<  Chit-Chat  ~  Benihanas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Went to Benihanas last night with some friends. If any of you haven't heard of it, Benihanas is a hehachi restaraunt (you essentially sit at a big grill and a chef comes out and cooks your Japanese food in front of you, the whole while flinging his spatula and performing all sorts of cool tricks).

Anyway, it was expensive, but pretty good! My favorite trick was scooping a whole spinning egg up on his spatula and then flinging it the air and catching (and impaling it) on the edge of the same spatula. Thought that was neat. Oh also, when he was done with the three eggs he scooped the shells up on one spatula and then flung them in an arch over his shoulder and with the other hand caught them all in one bowl.

Anyway, it's a great time. Not sure if they have them in Europe (although I'm sure they have to have something similiar) but you should all check em out!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
User avatarNosferatuPosts: 330Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:50 am
you mean while i was yelling at kids on a Saturday night, you were at a japeneses food flinging restraunt.

Well you really misseed out. becuase we watched War of the Worlds 2 times. and i didn't have any drinks only coolaid.

so ha to you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 285Location: yorkshireJoined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 pm
Sounds like a cool place! We dont have any in the UK, well I've not heard of them, I may be wrong though.

If we want to see food throwing in a restaurant we just take our Joshua lol

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
I thought it was called Teppanyaki and Wasabi Teppanyaki in Leeds does that kind of stuff. http://www.wasabiteppanyaki.co.uk/home.htm

Their chefs like to play catch with the punters, they toss little bits of omlette to the guys and the game is to catch it in your mouth. Of course, the secret is in the throwing as much in the catching and they are pretty accurate shots. We went there for my mate Tim's stag night.

What is it about those guys and eggs? I remember he was chucking whole eggs about too, juggling them and throwing them up and catching them in his chef's hat and stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
CappadocianPosts: 18Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:18 am
The Genghis Khan Mongolian BBQ does that here in Sydney but it's (obviously) not Japanese. They cook with these long sticks and toss everything about -- it's a wonder no one has had their eye out yet!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Now again, see... something is getting lost in the translation.

Mongolian BBQ as I understand it, is nothing to do with flashy cooking.

It's a big buffet of raw food & flavours and you fill your bowl with whatever mix takes your fancy to the chef, who cooks it for you.

I would agree with the sticks, though that seems to vary. The MB in London I used to use was sticks, the one in Sowerby Bridge is all quite ordinary wok action.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
I prefer Indian food :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Mongolian BBQ is the same thing here Stef. Get your raw ingredients, bring it to the chefs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote:c39b69b339="Eveshka"]I prefer Indian food :)[/quote:c39b69b339]

And I had a lovely chana gosht karahi for dinner tonight :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
chicken makhani is my favorite :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ooh... yes, a murgh makhani can be a good choice. Problem tends to be that 20 different places have 20 different interpretations of what it should be like and the one which made the really good version sadly closed.