<  Chit-Chat  ~  Woooow...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Okay, so I just had a surreal experience. As some of you may know, we Yanks are currently voting in presidential primaries, meaning we're attempting to choose candidates for the upcoming presidential election. Today, voting is being held for my state, so as a student of government, I've been pestering everyone all day to make certain they vote.

Well, at lunch today I had decided to say NOTHING about voting because I had very nearly gotten into a confrontation with a co-worker (normally a very friendly guy!) who feels that voting is rigged. He's kind of a hard lined Christian and believes we're all doomed.

In any case, he was at the table, so I clammed up. No point in ruining everyone's lunch right? Well the television was on near us and they were talking about the candidates. Gradually everyone got to talking about the different positions of different candidates, and finally someone looked at me and said...

"Join in James, you're a political sort of guy."

So I said very diplomatically...

"It's sort of a tough choice. There's things I like and dislike about everyone."

Then the coworker I had nearly gotten into a confrontation with (who is someone politically ignorant, not an insult I just mean he doesn't read about national issues/politics/etc) started asking questions about their stances on issues. So I answered as best and neutrally as I could.

"Hillary and Obama are Pro-Choice, Obama is anti-gay marriage amendment, McCain is..." so forth and so on. So my coworker states clearly that he has JUST made up his mind to vote for McCain, since he's Pro-Life. I say nothing. THEN he says, "Wasn't he some kind of war hero?"

I related a brief version of his service and capture during Vietnam.

"Well, that's it then." he says, "In a time of war, you want a president who's been there and can lead."

Well it was just too much.

"Well if the president ever needs to spend six months in a hot box, McCain's my choice." Okay...I know it was somewhat inflammatory, but remember, this guy JUST made up his mind who to vote for. So it's not like he's some ardent McCain supporter.

"But James!" he starts raising his voice, leaning over the table, "He's been in the military, he knows about war! Don't you want someone with the experience, who knows something other than theories??"

"Exactly what skillset does being a POW equip you with that would serve you as president?" I asked, I think appropriately. Well he just fuckin' lost it.

"See? That's why you can't talk about religion or politics! You have jerks like James sitting around who just won't listen to anyone else."

I was dumbfounded.

"Did I just black out for the past 30 seconds?" I asked. But it was too late to resolve, everyone stood up and left. This guy didn't want to TALK about anything, he wanted to feed my opinion and have me quietly nod my head. It was pretty upsetting. I think I'm a pragmatic person. I think there's room for ALL opinions...but this guy heard one notion that was contrary to his opinion and WHAMMO, it was all too much.

Sad really. I like the guy too.

P.S. For the record, I don't really dislike McCain or anything, although I don't plan to vote for him. I was just trying to make a point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Yes, but remember this guy is a fundamentalist fanatic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
[quote:65a17ce4d5="Julius Darrant"]Yes, but remember this guy is a fundamentalist fanatic.[/quote:65a17ce4d5]

Isn't that exactly the leader the US needs tho to defeat the Fundamentalist Fanatic Taleban? :roll:

J/k

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Just a quick follow up. The guy came up to me today and apologized for wigging out a few weeks back. He said that he's relatively ignorant of politics and so was very nervous of expressing his opinion and when I started challenging him on kind of felt like I was shutting him down. So he wigged out a bit.

We talked about military service in regards to public office holders and although we differ a bit on whether or not it should be a requirement (I think every elected official should at least be willing to serve whereas he thinks they should have to) we both expressed our admiration for military service. Some of you know that I've always regretted not joining the military.

So we found common ground and all is well in the universe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
[quote:1fe0c073ba]Some of you know that I've always regretted not joining the military.
[/quote:1fe0c073ba]

Uhhhh why?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Uuuuh...maybe we shouldn't get into it. I don't want to have an online political fight.

In short I regret it because I feel like every successful American owes service to the their country. It doesn't necessarily have to be by joining the military, but I feel everyone should somehow give back to society in some way. For me, I've always felt the military would have been beneficial. It has the potential to teach structure, discipline, teamwork, leadership values, as well as a host of other fine qualities. I know it's not for everyone, which is why I wouldn't make service mandatory, but I think I wish I had joined.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
:) Why don't you find another way to give something back then? Like join the Police? Fire Service?

I know the Military gives you discipline etc, but it's a pretty extreme way to go about it.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
First off, get online you punk.

Second, I've just always felt the military was a hallowed institution that some of my greatest heroes from history took part in. I would be proud to join that as well. Also I just think it's a service highly in need of people. Plus I think the total life overhaul they give you (changing where you live, eat, sleep, what you do, etc) is much more life changing than switching jobs.

And of course it's no magic wand. It doesn't just instill these virtues in everyone, it completely depends how you go in. But I feel I've always had the proper attitude towards it that I could be receptive to the finer qualities it attempts to instill.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Well if you feel THAT strongly about it then go for it!

Will after I've finished cooking :P

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I WILL! Then you'd be happy, wouldn't you? WOULDN'T YOU?!?!?!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Happy to think that you were putting your life on the line in some future war?

Uhmmmmmm

No.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Just git online ya git :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
User avatarAssamitePosts: 105Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:38 pm
I am still in the Seabee's and enjoy it very much and I feel that I do a great deal for my country. As for the war and futer wars well lets just leave that topic be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't dissing the Armed Forces, Big C, just asking Jimbo why he felt the way he did :) The wars coment was in answer to his quasi joke. I feel the same about the thought of any of you guys putting your lives on the line, it's not person specific.

:)

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Well that settled nicely. :)

You never DID get online btw...

...git.