<  Chit-Chat  ~  ...grah...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
As I get ready to graduate and presumably join the world of professional white collar workers, certain things make me nervous. Among them is the fact that I've yet to take a job seriously. I mean, I do a good enough job, but I've never excelled at work because it's always been secondary to me.

When I was younger it was secondary to my social life, and in recent years it's always been secondary to school. Getting my degree was something that I was so focused on that I kept menial, more or less mindless jobs like the one I currently occupy. As a result, I've run into an intresesting dilemma. I don't know if I'm a good worker or not, or what I'm capable of.

I spend anywhere from 25% to 75% of my day goofing off, depending on how busy it is here. I don't take things seriously because I don't care. Now don't get the wrong impression, I do my job, but in such an easy job I should be thriving. I should be supervisor by now (a job I was offered but turned down for school scheduling reasons) I should be kicking ass.

But I don't. So now I'm nervous. Will I retain this lax work ethic when I enter the professional world? Will I be goofing off? Will it be "Uuh...you might want to bring that proposal to Molly because James will probably forget about it..." I mean I assume if I can succeed at school by focusing I can do the same for work, but it's just a little interesting to me that I'm having these doubts and fears about my ability to work a job at this point.

This morning is a good example. I was awakened by a phonecall at 7:45 AM.

"Hey James. It's Javier. We were wondering if you were going to come to work today."

"What?"

"You're scheduled to open the desk." At 7 AM.

"Oh shit. What time is it?!"

Is this kind of stupidity going to go on at my professional job?? I can't imagine a working professional like my stepfather waking up 45 minutes late for work.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the board, we'll commence as soon as our vice president of development arrives. He overslept."

I need to pull my shit together.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Join the club mate. Only my problem is that I've drifted through life without trying ever to better myself. I'm getting way too long in the tooth for that shit now, and if Jen and I are ever to get married, buy a house, have kids (which I so can't wait for btw!) then I need to stop acting like a slack bowel movement and start acting my age and get my non existent career sorted out.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Ah, Frank'n'beanies wants to be a papa. I seem to recall talking to you about kids in the past and you seeming to be quite resistant to the idea (perhaps you thought i was offering?). It's good to see you enthusiastic about it. I can't wait to have children either. I want to be a dad so bad!

But alas, I can barely afford food for myself, let alone little brats runnin' about.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 285Location: yorkshireJoined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 pm
I still do that now James!! wake up to a call from work saying " ummmm its 8.00am are you just having a late start today?"

The reception team no damn well Ive over slept because I was more than likely out with them the night before lol but blesss their cotton soxs they cover for me when the manager is there lol

I've being working for Accor as project manager for nearly a year now and when I was on holiday I came to the decision that I hate my job, its too bogged down in paperwork and I get no customer interaction no more.

So I've handed in my notice, I leave on the 27 April to go be manager of a bed and breakfast in York centre, it's only small but I know for a fact I will be far more happier there than where I am at the moment :):)

The wages are more and the place is a lot more relaxed and the big plus is there's no damn paperwork to do apart from bookings and the ordering .....sheer bliss :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Being a top professional is easy, especially in the mornings department.

The board meeting (I mean it) went something like..

ME: Guys, I can't get up in the mornings. I'm starting at 10am from now on.
The Guys: Meh, ok - you can just stay later :P
ME: Fair enough.

Now I can stay up late and still be up on time in the morning.

... That's professional!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote:146424eed2="Julius Darrant"]Being a top professional is easy, especially in the mornings department.

The board meeting (I mean it) went something like..

ME: Guys, I can't get up in the mornings. I'm starting at 10am from now on.
The Guys: Meh, ok - you can just stay later :P
ME: Fair enough.

Now I can stay up late and still be up on time in the morning.

... That's professional![/quote:146424eed2]

I'm not sure my fellow employees would take the news as graciously.