<  Chit-Chat  ~  The Road

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
I think I reviewed the book No Country for Old Men by great American writer Cormac McCarthy on here. It was basically a book about a gritty American hunter who finds money from a drug deal gone wrong and is fleeing from a hired serial killer.

((okay i'm at work and i just answered my phone, have my ear to the phone, am talking, and this guy walks up and just asks me a question. wtf?! i'm on the phone you jackass...god i hate lawyers))

Anyway, the book was great! I loved it. Real page turner. Some of you know I have an obsession with the American Southwest and Americana in general. I love the idea of abandoned, forgotten remnants of American culture. Little greasy spoon diners long since abandoned, the highway culture that began with the opening of the cross-country roads, tourist traps, etc. Anyway that's why I thought I might like his LATEST book. The Road.

So far it's really cool. It's basically post-apocolypse (in keeping with many of our themes here on the board!) but without the romantic, techno-throwback stuff of Mad Max or Waterworld. Nope. It's just an unnamed father and son, walking down a highway, pushing a shopping cart of belongings. They encounter wiped out cities full of corpses and ash. Everything is LONG since picked over...they have to scavenge to survive. Along the way they meet marauders, blood cults, etc.

Anyway, it's written in McCarthy's sparse yet elegant style. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and suggest it to any of you out there.

Sorry Frank, it's not out in graphic novel form yet, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it nonetheless!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
[quote:4c6b54d89a]Sorry Frank, it's not out in graphic novel form yet, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it nonetheless![/quote:4c6b54d89a]

Hey fucker I read novels too you know!

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Frank Frank Frank...

...stapling a bunch of comic books together doesn't make it a novel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 42Location: JunkyardJoined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:38 pm
That makes it a graphic novel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Precisely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Listen ya Lit. fag, just because you've spent the last year reading overblown shite from 200yrs ago doesn't mean the rest of us don't read.

I'm currently reading the first part of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy - Northern Lights by Philipp Pullman and Vellum by Hal Gordon.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
P.S. I was originally gonna say the book you're reading sounded interesting but meh! You can stick it up your poncy, Lit., snob arsehole and smoke it like a big doobie!

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
The Road was released September of 2006 and can be found in a bookstore near you. Bookstore...not comic store btw.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Dick.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:31 am Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
lmao, you guys crack me up

I just finished reading Sphere.... Michael Crichton... a little light sci-fi/pyschology thriller before my next bedside book...

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. yeah.

They just released a BRIEFER history of time and I got offended... then realized I had not read the previous not-so-brief-one...so yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Uuuh...yeah. I flipped through like two pages of that book. Enjoy.

I prefer history to science. Or I prefer my science in soundbytes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
[quote:778ac5e5f5="Kahn"]A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. yeah.[/quote:778ac5e5f5]

So... many years ago now, more than I can remember I was over visiting some friends. Now, one of the guys who lived there was in the process of taking a bath and had rigged up his stereo so that there were speakers in the bathroom so he could listen to some cleansing vibes whilst he performed his ablutions.

So we programmed up the speech synthesizer with "A Brief History"... waited a short while for him to get into that relaxed bathtime groove, then repatched the stereo into the computer (it was an Amiga 500, which gives you a clue how old this story is lol) and inflicted large passages from the book upon him in a Stephen Hawking voice.

Being truly evil is an artform ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Jesus an Amiga 500.....classic!

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
*knows nothing about whatever it is you're referencing*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=65

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_500