<  Chit-Chat  ~  Future Temptations

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote
VentruePosts: 102Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:57 pm
So I'll have saved 15k USD from my tours in Iraq which I decided not to spend on anything that wont increase its value or make me more money. You know how people always have great ideas but never have the money to finance/patent ect. Well Im waiting on that million dollar dream, and it may not go that far but i know im bound for higher dollars in life so. Heres to on idea, tell me what you think?

Opening up my own Bar/Club/Pub....Huh?

If your going to own a business its got o be something that will stay open. Which makes restraunts hard. But Bar...Everyone loves bar/clubs. "Bennetts"

I'd have to find a place to rent out. Preferably near a college. Now check this out. What if im attending said college too during the day. Fuck yeah passing out cards like," you should come by my bar this saturday its sink or swim." I'd get mad customers.

Then i'd have to buy all the liqour....WholeSale of course. Kegs and dispensors/kegerators...Big ass fridge..Couple Pooltables, barstools + tables ect.. Neon, Signs Juke box(which i hear that you can order and get 10% of its take or something...like vending machines. Or I could just get a badass sound System and put on a windows media playlist and be set for the night. No DJ needed.

Higher a couple bartenders...My best friend bartends, and not being gay or nothing, will bring in some hot chicks....Then higher a fine ass chick to balance it out. Plus i could learn to tend, whats that like a month of training? But bartenders make like 2$ an hour plus tips. I could guarantee a check for there first month or two before the bar takes off.

So other then the fact i know nothing about owning/operating a bar/ club
what do you think? Any serious Ideas questions or concerns?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Hmmmm sounds tough man. I think Batty bartended for awhile didn't she? Or didn't she get her license or something?

I could have sworn...

Anyway, how will you bartend AND manage at the same time?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
User avatarEvil yet deliciousPosts: 164Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:49 am
I worked in pubs and a few clubs but the industry is very different here. For starters it's $25/hr plus tips, more on weekends and evenings. The other big difference is that our laws are pretty strict with regards to giving people alcohol so I had to get additional qualifications to actually serve. The short story is that if I served James and he was drunk, then he drove and killed someone, I'm liable because I served him. There's $5000 fines for serving alcohol to drunk people and bigger fines for serving underage kids, etc. There's also equally stupid laws regarding gaming (poker machines, etc). All of our pubs and clubs have slot machines (gaming rooms) so to manage those you need additional qualifications. These tickets are in addition to the courses you can do which teach you to pull beers, mix drinks, cocktails, etc etc etc. I did a basic bar tending course which took one week to complete, the RSA (responsible service of alcohol) and RCG (responsible conduct of gaming) took one day each and then I did a bar flair course (juggling vodka bottles,etc) and a silver service course which took around eight weeks. I worked in hospitality for just on six months before the novelty of long shifts, constant standing, frequent burns/cuts/bruises, bar brawls and armed robberies finally wore off.

As for the business side of owning a bar, I think it's a great idea unless of course you drink and intend to hire friends! I'd keep friends and family out of it. It'll never end well otherwise. My best advice to you, regardless of whatever business you end up in is to stay on top of your public liability insurances. You do not want to get sued because some dumb arse falls over! Oh, and write a business plan. Google it, you'll soon find some templates or examples of business plans. If you find one, and you start rolling your eyes and thinking you can't be arsed writing one then you're not cut out for business. Banks, accountants, and virtually all the other stakeholders will want to see your business plan so get planning! Part of a business plan is your marketing plan. You'd probably benefit greatly by doing a short course on business management before you blow all your savings. Or get a job in someone else's bar first and get a feel for the industry. You might hate it, you might love it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Bats is so helpful.

Also...always sleep with a shirt on.

I slept w/o one a few nights in a row and now I'm bitten all over my torso. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
[quote:6700f9564d="Gabriel"]Bats is so helpful.

Also...always sleep with a shirt on.

I slept w/o one a few nights in a row and now I'm bitten all over my torso. :([/quote:6700f9564d]

By what!?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Possibly chiggers...

...not entirely sure yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Atom sized vampires?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Aye...little bastards. Tried popping them w/ tweezers.

Ended up just making a bloody mess.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
VentruePosts: 102Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:57 pm
Well thank you for those bits of advice. Im fool to the mission statement, and I plan to do my fair share of studying before I jump into anything. The liability insurance.business insurance was one thing I Had not thought of. I need to do my research on paying bartenders though. I dont believe the average is 25$ and tips....But i may be mistaken. Im gonna look through amazon and check out books on it. I thought about working in someone lses bar first. Could be a decent job while im going to school anyways, aside from my weekend nights being fucked. But i reckon itll save me from getting fat as hell.

Thanks again for the advice

BTW Chiggers are a big problem when i go out in the field back home in Texas. Chiggers look like lil red bumps, real small, and you have to drown them out. Nail polish works best, but you could use vaseline or something of the sort. For some reason i dont think long baths work, but best of luck to you then.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Vasoline eh? I'll give it a shot...it's really quite upsetting.

I'm a bit OCD about it...

Bumps, scabs, pimples, etc. I'm a picker and popper. :/ I can't have those things on me and not pop them to return to status quo. Luckily I have a fairly even complexion...no real problem w/ acne. So the chigger thing's REALLY bothering me. Worst part is I don't even know if it's that...also I suspect it is as it has continued to spread. Three separate clusters on my torso, but near one another. It's REALLY driving me up the wall.

If it doesn't start clearing up in a few days I'm going to the doctor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
yeah, man, what the fuck, that's gross.

also....i'm starting to see metrosexual tendencies in you, gabey.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Metrosexual tendencies?!?! I HAVE FUCKING BUGS LIVING IN MY SKIN!!!!

IT CREEPS ME THE FUCK OUT!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
I meant all that talk about your "fine complexion" and "no acne, thank liberace" shit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 40Location: San FranciscoJoined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:42 am
I am not sure I have encountered a thread that combines comedy, education, personal revelations and pure grossness as well or as quickly as this one. Its really quite an accomplishment of eclectism (which is probably not a real word, but who cares...). I laughed, I learned, I cringed.

Offline Profile