<  Chit-Chat  ~  Breakfast anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
So what do you all typically eat for breakfast?

My biggest regret while I was in London was not having an English breakfast. Here in the States it's unthinkable to have baked beans in the morning (regardless of whether the cowboys did it or not). It's akin to having...I don't know...macaroni and cheese for breakfast!

Anyway, I realize this is a bizarre topic...but I'm bored and curious.

My typical breakfast (here at work) is a bagel/cup'o'coffee/bottled water/orange juice. Starts me off right! At home...I rarely eat breakfast, although sometimes I go to IHOP (International House of Pancakes) and I generally have some eggs sunny side up with some pancakes. Delicious!

What do YOU guys generally eat?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Mueslix or some other low fat, cholesterol reducing cereal, a fruit juice of some sort, and a happy pill.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 40Location: San FranciscoJoined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:42 am
On mornings I workout - I have a piece of fruit before the workout (typically a plum, nectarine or banana) and then I have chicken breast or tuna (plain) after the work out.

On mornings I do not workout, I have....nothing. Except coffee. I usually do not eat until lunch on the mornings I do not work out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Usually I don't bother with breakfast. A nice cup of tea lasts me fine until lunchtime...

This morning was not like other days, however.

On my way to work, the office called and asked if I would pick up some milk on the way in... so I stopped off at the supermarket, and being a kind and generous boss, I thought I would pick up a big pile of pain au chocolat and danish pastries and indulge my staff with a sugar laden breakfast treat.

And when I got to the office, laden down with milk and munchies, they were taking orders for someone to go around to the local Cafe and get bacon sandwiches...

Breakfast this morning was non-trivial.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Bacon sandwiches?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote
Well, here in the UK we have good bacon. Really nice bacon. When my friend comes to visit from the US, he runs to my corner shop which sells what I think is pretty low grade bacon and yums it up as heavenly.

So, being as there is a cafe around the corner, bacon sandwiches for breakfast are perfectly normal fare.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Is it bacon like American bacon, or bacon like Canadian bacon? Strips of pork or patties of cooked ham?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
From a website written by an Englishman talking about America...

"Bacon - You also have bacon, but one of the things I missed was British bacon. Not the fact that it comes from Britain, more the choice. You seem to have one choice - bacon. We have back, throughcut, streaky, smoked, green and dry cured. The one we call "streaky" is the cheapest as there is almost no meat on it. It is the closest to the bacon you have in the US. The most expensive is back, as it is almost all meat. Your bacon is nice and crisps up, but for the country that likes choice, it's odd that there is none."

Bacon forms an important component of any traditional "Full English Breakfast".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah...interesting. :D

How bizarre that we don't have more choice. I'm not a big bacon fan in any case, I can stomach the pork, but not the guilt. Too much fat and too much cholesterol (sp?).

Also, bacon here has become simply awful. It's put on EVERYTHING now, and it's become such a staple that it's quality has actually gone DOWN. Kind of like when McDonald's makes so many scrambled eggs patties for it's breakfast sandwiches that it starts mass producing them, so instead of actual scrambled eggs, it's just this yellow Godless concoction? Same deal with bacon. Putrid.

I'll go with my bagel. :) Viva la England!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
User avatarEvil yet deliciousPosts: 164Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:49 am
A typical weekday breakfast for me is fruit toast and coffee. Weekend breakfast is usually toast with a poached egg or grilled tomato. I [heart] bacon sammiches but I'm a major bacon snob. I hate the rind part. What the hell is that anyway? Pig skin?? Yuck. Always buy rindless shortcut bacon!

Typical Australian bacon looks like this:

[img:24aa9a0732]http://www.primosmallgoods.com.au/images/productsLarge/shortCutRindless.jpg[/img:24aa9a0732]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
My personal preference is for a dry cured, perhaps oak smoked back bacon and yes, rindless.

Dry cured so it doesn't shrivel in the pan, gobbing out tonnes of frothy watery nastiness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
::drools:: Mmmmmm....pig carcass...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
I concur, bacon is it's own food group.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarEvil yet deliciousPosts: 164Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:49 am
I know several vegetarians that eat bacon. Sure, they do it in secret and it's usually followed by a mild guilt session but who can blame them?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 285Location: yorkshireJoined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 pm
if I'm at work I have weetabix covered in strawberries or a whole mango or half a melon....depends whats in the fridge that I can grab and go.

If I'm not at work which is very rare( mumbles about lack of days off etc)
I usually end up on brekkie duty at home cooking full brekkie for everyone so I end up having poached eggs on toast with a rasher of bacon ....yummmmm sainsburys smoked thick rashers!!

Offline Profile