<  Chit-Chat  ~  KOTOR HELP!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
Ok, so I just downloaded Knights of the Old Republic, the first one, and it seems to run just fine except for the slight issue of my char being a FLOATING HEAD!

in fact, its not just my char's body that's see-through, its a lot of textures I see missing, including all enemies I have "encountered" (they tell me they're there, I see faint outlines, sometimes) during the first few minutes of gameplay. I can't really carry on playing with big chunks of transparent invisible annyoing spots. Any suggestions? Suggestions as in where I could find suggestions? I'm desperate.

I've tried turning graphics down, but it won't solve the problem. sniff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
I would suggest looking at the Bioware website. I've never had that problem, nor heard of it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
User avatarRavnosPosts: 406Location: Inside Big RedJoined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 pm
Ok, so I fixed it after a couple of hours of looking around. Funnily enough...it was a video card update that made everything better

"you didn't think of that before?! you didn't have an updated driver for your gorram video card?! loser!"

It wasn't as simple as that, you see, I'm on a laptop, and my video card, an ATI Mobility Radeon, said, appeared and registered in the ATI website as having the latest drivers. But, I did a little more digging.

Turns out support for the Mobility cards isn't really up to par, and the latest drivers from ATI don't work for Mobility cards, and the ones they release FOR mobility cards..well, suck.

So there's this underground network of mobility owners that have MADE the latest drivers compatible with Mobility laptop cards... actually there's two big alternatives, this mod that makes the official Ctalyst set of drivers from ATI work with your mobility card and this other unofficial pack, based on the catalyst packs, the Omega pack, that hs even some software overclocking options.

So I did tht, updated, restarted, panicked as my resolution was suddenly shit, un-panicked as it reverted to the good one by itself... and voilá.

so now when you hear about the problem...think video card drivers. and if you hear ati mobility cards....groan.

had to share the quest :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
I try to avoid ATI and always buy nVidia.

Some people maintain that ATI is faster and benchmarks certainly support that in some circumstances...

however... on the subject of support... nVidia always seems to work correctly and I choose "work properly" over "maybe faster" any time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:07 am Reply with quote
oh.....my....fucking......god

I was *this* close to literally taking my laptop a.k.a. Marvin a.k.a my most prized possession, by FAR, and chucking it...out...the FUCKING...WINDOW!!!!!!!!!

goddam it!!!

18 hours into the game, loving every step of it, addicted as shit..... and the comp crashes. No biggie, reload, relaunch, saved game just a few seconds beofre the crash ready to load....

NOT

game simply WON'T load

all my save files get stuck in the loading screen, and that's it.

AGGGGHHHH!!!

sorry, needed venting. I don't suppose theres a magic de-corrupter out there?

aw god, im seriously pissed and sad :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Take the save files, particularly any from BEFORE the crash happened. Put them somewhere safe.

Uninstall, then reinstall the game and make sure it runs and will save and load games.

Then try with your archived savefiles.

Not sure what else to suggest.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
hmm, didnt get to trying it, i just started again from the old old save i had from like 13 hours before the crash...sigh.... i just dread tatooine so much, all that running around the desert, agh, and i had JUST finished the entire planet...sigh

should i download KOTOR II? I'm LOVING the first one

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
There is a problem with KOTOR 2.

Now don't misunderstand, it's a very good game, it's just not finished properly.

This is on account of LucasArts bullying Obsidian to get the release out in time for (I think it was) Xmas. Content is known to have been cut (half finished bits of it have been discovered on the CDs) and the ending was never finished properly at all, kind of doesn't even make good sense.

I did enjoy it and there was much to explore. The thoroughly completed sections had good depth and there's always the intrigue of trying to turn the entire crew into fellow Jedi.