<  Chit-Chat  ~  Superman Returns

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/index.html

*drool*

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
I was watching them film it yesterday. It was weird seeing Elizabeth Street filled with NY cabs (on the wrong side of the road) and NY cops in black uniforms (our cops wear blue).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
User avatarNosferatuPosts: 330Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:50 am
like i told you last time you brought it up..

AMERICANS INVENTED THE CAR so that means we decide which is the correct side of the road to drive on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Good point Drain!

So there!

:P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
[quote:a90d244af3="Drain"]AMERICANS INVENTED THE CAR [/quote:a90d244af3]

Bullshit.

The Italians Eugenio Barsanti and Felice Matteucci patented the first working, efficient version of an internal combustion engine in 1854 in London (pt. Num. 1072). In 1860, Jean Joseph Etienne Lenoir produced a gas-fired internal combustion engine not dissimilar in appearance to a steam beam engine. In 1870 in Vienna Siegfried Marcus put the first mobile gasoline engine on a handcart. Nikolaus Otto working with Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach in the 1870's developed the four-stroke cycle (Otto cycle) engine.

Don't see America listed anywhere there...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Fair nuff. Wasn't expecting the arrival of an edu-ma-kated man on the scene. But we still revolutionized the mass production of the automobile and made it into a major industry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The first standardised production run was in France in 1894, the Benz Velo. Well over 100 identical produced in the first run.

By this time, the first US car manufacturers the Duryea brothers were in production, having sold about 13 cars by 1896.

Seven years later Eli Olds did a mass production run in the US, of the Curved Dash Oldsmobile in 1901.

Now you are thinking of Henry Ford, naturally... but try moving on another 13 years before he has even built his famous plant.

But yes, I'll agree that some yank got rich over a european invention.

Oh... and btw... the name Automobile was coined by a 14th Century Italian Painter and Engineer named Martini and the word car is from the Celtic "carrus".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
God some people are just TOO clever! :roll:

Is there anything you DON'T know Stef?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
"The first standardised production run was in France in 1894, the Benz Velo. Well over 100 identical produced in the first run."

One hundred eh? Doesn't sound like mass production when you consider that by the turn of the century Oldsmobile, Cadillac, and Fords were selling in the thousands.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
It's just your claim of firsts I have issue with. You weren't first.

Someone else did it. You followed on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Fair nuff. I retract my claim that Americans were the original inventors of the automobile as the facts clearly contradict such a statement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
User avatarLasombra IndependentPosts: 14Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:44 pm
You people argue over the silliest things. Ultimately, no, we did not invent the car. However, the USA is still, last I checked, our country, just as britain still belongs to you british. I believe the inhabitants of a region determine that region's policies, thus we can all drive on different sides of the road and be satisfied.

That being said, the british have produced some remarkable engines, including the fordson major deisel tractor. We have one that is either nearly a half century or more where I live, and it is still in perfect running condition, in spite of sporadic maintenance and only minimal restoration work on the part of my father, the owner.

That said, how many cars can you think of that not only last that long, but last that long through the abuse a hard working family of farmers puts on a tractor?

At the same time, cars get more mileage, as a general rule. None the less, we can all, I am sure, agree to disagree, and smash ourselves up in the manner of our own choosing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
oh my... I wish I had a dollar for every thread that went this way! :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
HAHAHAHA You mean America versus the Rest of the World?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
Do you think, Batty, that if we syndicated these postings, and did re-runs every year, we could get enough residuals to live on for the rest of our lives? :shock: