<  Chit-Chat  ~  London

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:53 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Incidentally, I too have a MR. Singh down on the corner. Surijit Singh is his name. He runs a gas station/convenience store. Huh, small world.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
All Sikhs are called Singh. There's a lot of it about.

(yes. ok.. I know the ladies are traditionally known as Kaur...)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:29 am Reply with quote
Silly silly sikhs.

Almost seems as if the London police have been studying under the Los Angeles Police Department. Not even related to any terrorist acts, just blown away with 5 bullets in the head. Still, on the glass half full side of things, for a country that previously didn;t arm it's police, that is mighty good grouping.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
[quote:7c082bbdbe="Eveshka"]Not even related to any terrorist acts, just blown away with 5 bullets in the head.[/quote:7c082bbdbe]

So why did he run? By all reports he spoke fluent English and would have understood the officers request to stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
To be honest and I'm not generally conspiratorial, the shooting isn't really the MO of SO 19 and smacks heavily of The Regiment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Why did he run? Haven't the foggiest. I was wondering that myself. I'm merely commenting on what the BBC itself has said. The guy was clearly an idiot, not the shooter, the guy looking all furtive. I'm wondering what the reaction here in the states will be. All manners of RIGHT (not ring as it initially said) wing people were thumping there chests and stating that "the good guys in britain had won a great victory." That is actually a quote. Our lefties will have a field day.

Last edited by Eveshka on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Hey, I certainly feel for the guy and his family, but lets look at the thought process:

1. Aye caramba, it's muey bueno to be London, even with the terrorist attacks recently in the Tube.

2. Aye! The policia are shouting for me to obey them, I'm in the Tube and they think I'm suspicious.

3. Run. What's the worst that could happen?

I mean seriously...it's akin to me carrying suspicious packages around the new World Trade Center when it's erected, or an innocent Iraqi deciding he/she didn't need to stop at checkpoints.

Common sense man!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
On further review of the events leading up to his fatal shooting, I retract my previous statement. The cops were plainsclothes cops and apparently started chasing him only moments before he fled into the train.

He was suspect because he was spotted leaving the same apartment complex as one of the alleged bombers and was dressed in a hat and heavy coat.

So really, he's in the subway when three guys brandish pistols and bolt towards him. I could understand his anxiety. It's really awful...think about it, he probably thought, "Oh my God, these thugs are going to kill me!!" But they were cops...and they did kill him just as the thugs would've.

Essentially, after 9/11 Britain's police force has adopted some of the policies of the Israeli Anti-Suicide squads, meaning you shoot a suspect in the head to prevent their detonating the explosive. So once they tackled this poor guy to the floor, they assumed he was going to blow the train up with them in it and one of the cops unloaded five shots into his skull. Very tragic. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
This argument will run and run, however it might be suggested that wearing a big thick anorak in the middle of summer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah.

By the way, I just bought a brass hookah (sp?). It doesn't work too well though. I still haven't gotten the coal lit to its optimum um, litness. Looks mighty pretty though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
We're putting a lot of weight onto the media reports being accurate. I'm sure there are details that haven't been released. Having said that, given the circumstances, I'd probably have done exactly what the officer did.

[quote:5b59a96edb="Eveshka"]By the way, I just bought a brass hookah (sp?). It doesn't work too well though. I still haven't gotten the coal lit to its optimum um, litness. Looks mighty pretty though.[/quote:5b59a96edb]

I think you mean sheesha. Get yourself some green apple tobacco. Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:56 am Reply with quote
The syrian dude I know calls it an Argueela. Is Sheesha the Indian term? Cuz I think mine is Indian so therefore it would be a Sheesha. I have a concoction called Two Apple. It tastes and smells good when it is smoking correctly, but other times it just tastes like ash. I'm not doing something right. My uncle's, which is bigger, made of glass, and Syrian, has a special place to put the coal so it doesn't sit right on the "tobacco", mine doesn't. Plus it has a tiny leak :( Mixed Fruit also tastes and smells spiffoliscious. Seeing as I've not successfully been able to properly light the coal (as I don't have a powerful enough open flame like a gas oven or a grill), I think this may have something to do with my difficulty.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote
I have several Middle Eastern clients, all of which refer to them as Sheesha, so I'm guessing that's the M.E. name. Just call it what it is, a bong ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Trouble is with that kind of kit, it frequently looks really good but simply doesn't work correctly.

When purchasing such a device, discuss with your supplier that you intend to use it and make sure it is fully functional, rather than simply decorative.

I can't help but think the word "sheesha" is somehow derived from Hashish...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
My girlfriend and her family have always called it Sheesha as well.

Personally I'm not a big fan. It certainly beats tobacco smoke from standard cigarettes however.