<  Chit-Chat  ~  Its all about balance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote
User avatarBrujahPosts: 34Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:01 pm
And thats the truth. I sat down and did my budget and my books, and realized; at the moment, my budget is less about actual positive cash flow, than it is a slow crawl out of debt by means of redistributing that debt in clever ways, and working my ass off in combination with those clever ways.

Seriously, some of the debts have to be paid, and no two ifs ands or butts about it, or my credit will immediately divebomb. Then it becomes a matter of 'oh crap, I gotta get a car fixed, and oh crap, I still need gas money'. Thats where I'm at, so I rob peter to pay paul, and still have money to live on.

Isn't that fun?

So what I'm doing, is, and this is where it gets fun, because I have massive costs this payday that I gotta do, or have serious issues resulting in a stagnant cash flow of zero, well, if it makes any sense, I'm going DEEPER into debt to try and crawl out of debt.

Yet somehow, in a depressing, sick, twisted way that drags me across ground glass until I am a bleeding pile of stressed out hamburger, it works.

Two weeks, and I'm clear on one debt. Another two weeks, and I'm near the clear on another. Then, with the painful passage of another two weeks, my calculations on debt and present income, project me as completely out of debt, and with money to spare and a positive income.

Yet somehow, its all very painful. So here is my question... why is it that economics seems to be less about the movement of money, and more about the redistribution of debt?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
:)

Welcome to the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Out of debt in six weeks flat?

You have NOTHING to worry about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
I have been in debt since the day I was born!! :shock:

In debt to my parents, in debt to my education, in debt to the medical community, in debt to the world. Take your pick.

And, you know, I don't think even being born with a silver spoon in my mouth would have changed anything much. *sigh*

Hmmm...Say, Mike, since you're going to be so rich in about 6 weeks, any chance I can get you to float ME a loan? Say, about $20,000?... to start with? :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
I'm debt free now too. It's a good feeling. If you're having problems with credit card debt then I have two words for you.... consolidation loan. People shouldn't apply for a credit card unless they are able to pay off the entire maxxed balance in one hit. If you need a few grand to pay off car bills, etc just get a personal loan. You'll improve your credit rating AND save yourself from financial doom. Credit cards are evil :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
User avatarBrujahPosts: 34Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:01 pm
Well, its not credit cards, and I'm far from rich... lets face it, I make seven bucks an hour working in adult foster care, on night shifts. It was a matter of I had a close friend visit me, and I took two weeks off to do it.

I paid a plane ticket, entertainment costs, and thus, overdrafted my account. No wages for two weeks kinda hurts, luckily, I have overdraft protection for just such occasion.

The problem is, I borrow a car to get into work and back, and in just a few more days, that will cease to be an option as that car is going with the owner on vacation.

So, I had to get a car, I was fortunate and found one that I could get into for free, I just had to make some repairs... you know, little ones. Like a transmission. And new tires. And a wheel bearing. So, if I don't have the car, I can't go to work, and that is counter-productive to a steady income, so I make a choice that once my overdraft settles, I do it -again-. This means another thirty days to fix the deficit in my account, (which is easy enough) and so on. See, I am still working on getting off to a start... I don't have a house or the like yet, though I do pay rent. So my debt problems aren't that bad. I was merely making an observation on the fact that economics and budget aren't about cash flow...

They're about debt flow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
Debts of the mighty Eveshka:

Law School: $66,000
Mortgage: $48,000
Visa: $10,000 (maxed :) )
Discover: $4900 ($100 shy of being maxed)
Basset Furniture $3500 (the mangina known as Eveshka really is a Torrie art fag at heart and simply must have aestheticaly pleasing stuff)
Ability to write "Esquire" after his/her/its name on Christmas cards:

priceless

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:40 am Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
[quote:b56cf5002c="batty"]Credit cards are evil :)[/quote:b56cf5002c]

NS!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Richard and I don't have any. Never want to. There's a gal he used to know, still free from jail, who's forged his name before. $30.000 debt that, luckily, he could prove wasn't his and that SHE committed the crime! Needless to say, we'll not give her the chance to stiff him again! *sigh*

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:46 am Reply with quote
[quote:9cba672606="Eveshka"]Debts of the mighty Eveshka:[/quote:9cba672606]

Debts of the little known assassin called the Scorpion:

Mortgage: $172,000
Fake heart attack 2 years ago: $4,000
Monthly Housing Bills: $2,000 (Approximately)

Care and feeding of two daughters, two granddaughters, 2 houseguests and each other:

Unlimited.

Who'd have known she was such a homebody at heart!!??? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Debts of the nomadic Gabriel:

Car Loan: $129 left (YES!)
Visa: $2400 (nearly maxed out)
School Loans: $20000
Best Buy Account: $700

Not too bad I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
not too bad, but yer young yet, LOTS of time to sink further into debt :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Get your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 285Location: yorkshireJoined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 pm
Cost of holiday for us all to go to Kos.....£6,000........the looks on the kids faces when we showed them where we were going and what activities there are for them to do ......absolutely priceless.

Roll on thursday :)

I don't think anyone is debt free, Like Lady C said...we are all indebted to someone for one reason or another :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
User avatarCappadocianPosts: 590Location: Sydney, AustraliaJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:55 am
Your mortgages are crazy cheap. I can't buy a slum in Sydney for under $500,000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote
[quote:4c1f191732="batty"]Your mortgages are crazy cheap. I can't buy a slum in Sydney for under $500,000[/quote:4c1f191732]

[size=24:4c1f191732]OUCH![/size:4c1f191732]

[size=16:4c1f191732]Ok. You win!! :shock: [/size:4c1f191732]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 186Location: York, England.Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:57 pm
Cheapest I've seen in York is £120k. Average is around the 250k mark.